WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just bought my first ABC watch and wanted to share my excitement. I've read a lot of reviews in the Internet and a many posts on this forum, thanks everyone for good reviews and advises. Finally I've decided to go for smallest and cheapest ADC watch for the start and it is Origo Rendezvous. I have it for two days already and I like it a lot. It's pretty comfortable on my wrist and despite the fact that I have small wrist Origo doesn't look funny although it's still big watches. Since I've never used ABC watches before I can't really compare it with other watches, but so far my new Origo seems to provide accurate data comparing with the elevation and air pressure data on the Internet and with compass in my GPS.
I'm going to a ski trip later this months and I'll test my watch especially altimeter in the field.

I've attached a couple of pictures, hopefully they appear in my post.
I will be happy to answer any questions about Origo Rendezvous.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Welcome to the forum, scanny, and congrats on the pickup! I really like the clean look of that Origo. Here are a few questions for you: How crisp is the LCD from different angles, and how good is the backlight? Does it have an alarm, and if so, is it loud enough to wake someone up? And how is the strap & buckle? Is it more like a plastic/polycarbonate, or a hard or soft rubber? Like Griff said, Origos are seen much around here, so I'm sure you'll get some more questions. :-!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding the questions, the display is pretty crisp, it can be seen fine from all angles, I really like it. I couldn't find an angle to see all "8888". Backlight is blue and it's bright, it stays about 3 sec when light button is pressed. The watch has 2 alarms, but it's not loud enough to wake me up. I had Casio Databank watch before (DBC-1500) well, still have it now:), and alarm is about the same. Strap is not very soft, but I wouldn't say it's hard either, feels like rubber to me but maybe it's just some kind of plastic. It feels comfortable and doesn't look like it will break.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the prices are quite affordable for this model - I found it under $100 shipped. Since ABCs are a special use watch for a lot of people, having some options that don't cost hundreds of dollars is a very good thing. I'm looking forward to hearing how it performs in the field. :-!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found best price at Kenzo, but when I was trying to buy Origo there I found that for some reason they ship to Canada for $50 which is just crazy. So I ended up to buy my ABC on e-bay for 75 CAD delivered (about 60 USD). Got it new in original sealed box in one week. Got lucky I guess.
As per field test - I'm going to Quebec for skiing, so I'll have a good use for the watch. So far I was pleasantly surprised by altimiter - I was driving from work to home checking watch and GPS altilude. My work elevation is 87m and my home is 162m. I set known elevation on parking lot and when I got home in 30 min I saw exactly 162m on my watch. On the road altitude was pretty close to what GPS was indicating, mostly it was +- 1m, sometimes off up to 10m, but I know that GPS is not very accurate at altitide.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
I found best price at Kenzo, but when I was trying to buy Origo there I found that for some reason they ship to Canada for $50 which is just crazy. So I ended up to buy my ABC on e-bay for 75 CAD delivered (about 60 USD). Got it new in original sealed box in one week. Got lucky I guess.
As per field test - I'm going to Quebec for skiing, so I'll have a good use for the watch. So far I was pleasantly surprised by altimiter - I was driving from work to home checking watch and GPS altilude. My work elevation is 87m and my home is 162m. I set known elevation on parking lot and when I got home in 30 min I saw exactly 162m on my watch. On the road altitude was pretty close to what GPS was indicating, mostly it was +- 1m, sometimes off up to 10m, but I know that GPS is not very accurate at altitide.
Sounds like you got a really great deal. I had to laugh reading about you testing your GPS in the car. I live in a fairly hilly area, so I do the same thing when I want to quickly test the performance of an altimeter (and I know I'm not the only one). It's a wonder that we haven't all totaled our cars while checking out our watches! :-d

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Sounds like you got a really great deal. I had to laugh reading about you testing your GPS in the car. I live in a fairly hilly area, so I do the same thing when I want to quickly test the performance of an altimeter (and I know I'm not the only one). It's a wonder that we haven't all totaled our cars while checking out our watches! :-d
I was doing that today with my Sector Mountain Master, it was driving my wife crazy because she was talking to me while I was driving and I was staring at my altitude trend graph and feet/hour indicator. Didn't hear a word she said :-d

Under $100 for the Origo??? OK, now that makes 2 on my 'affordable' list, that one and the Timex in another thread. I am so going to be in trouble...

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I just got lucky because I bought mine an ebay auction. But I've seen Origo Rendezvous under hundrerd USD on keenzo.com and for 104 USD at backcountry.com. At amazon.com it's aroung 110 USD. I was going to buy Origo there but I was really disappointed with their shipping policy to Canada. Surprisingly I couldn't find a single retail store around where I live with Origo or High Gear or St.Moritz.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've wanted one of these for years, especially the reverse display version!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi folks,

As I promised here is some more thoughts about my new Origo Rendezvous.

Origo Rendezvous is my first ABC watch so I don’t have anything to compare it with. I went to skiing to Mont-Tremblant, QC and put my watch under some tests so this is my findings about this watch after some usage in the field.

Just before go skiing I set the Sea Level pressure from Weather Channel info.
I was surprised that when I got to the top of the mountain an hour later I got pretty accurate altimeter reading. The mark on the mountain said 875m and my watch showed 877m. Following days with morning calibration it was off 10-30 meters, but weather was changing like crazy whole week from snow to bright sun and back to snow again. After about 6 hours of skiing altitude at the top of mountain was up to 120m off. As a result maximum altitude in Altimeter Data mode says that I was at 982m :) Not sure how other ABC watches behaves, but I guess mine is pretty much OK for recreational use. Although I don’t really understand how to measure altitude if there is no signs with elevation on the way and weather is changing.

There was quite hilly roads over there and I wanted to switch my GPS to Altitude reading while I was driving and compare it with my watch but my wife didn’t let me to do it :)

By the way, calibrating altitude in Origo Rendezvous happens by pressing a button to increase altitude or decrease it by 1m or 1 ft. So for setting the watch back to correct altitude you need to hold a button for a while. Considering that for calibration I had to expose watch to the outside temperature which was about -20C at the top my poor watch got 50C difference between my warm hand under the jacket and outside temperature. I think that since Altimeter sensor is temperature compensated I couldn’t get correct readings unless I went to a chalet and calibrated altimeter inside.

If was nice to watch the altitude when I was on the lift. When I stopped on the mountain (in safe place) it was also cool to check how much I got to go. The only thing I didn’t like about altimeter is when altimeter mode is on, manual says that the altitude measurement is taken “more frequent in the first few minutes when you enter into the altimeter mode then the update frequency will extend gradually until 15 minutes”. In my experience in Altimeter mode it takes measurements every 5 sec for the first couple minutes then every 12 sec after 5 min and so on. Therefore if I need real time altitude readings I have to switch watch to time mode from altimeter mode and back to altimeter mode every 5 min which is not really convenient. If real time is not an issue, Origo shows current altitude (looks like it takes a measurement instantly) after one button is pressed in the time mode. On the background it takes altitude measurement every 15 min.

For skiing it would be nice to have descent/ascent speed calculated, but I don’t have it in Origo Rendezvous. It’s not like I really need it, but it would be a nice feature to have.

A very nice feature however is the weather icon on the watch. I was impressed how consistently it showed correct forecast. One day the Weather Channel was saying that it’s going to be some sun with clouds whole day. When I got to the mountain I noticed that my watch showed precipitation. It was quite bright day and I got a little bit frustrated with the watch forecast. I started thinking about calibrating my watch but there were no information about sea level pressure so I decided to calibrate it first thing I got back to cottage. To my pleasant surprise it started snowing in a couple of hours.

What I didn’t like is how Barometer graph made. Altitude graph is fine, it’s a sliding graph and you can see historical data all the time. Barometer graph starts over when it reaches the end. So in some moments when you switch to barometer mode you’ll see just a few dots in the beginning of graph instead of full data. The weather icon is compensating this shortcomings a little bit, but I think that Origo should fix the baro graph in next release.

I didn’t have a chance to test compass in detail, on the mountain if showed correct directions in general, not sure how precise it is. Guess have to wait until summer when I go hiking.

So that’s about it for now, so far I’m not disappointed with Origo, we’ll see how it performs in the summer:)

Happy New Year !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts