WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently wearing an old Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust with a 36mm case, but I'm hard on it and I crack the crystal and water gets in -- seawater last summer was almost the end of it. So I'd like to get an Oris Aquis with a bracelet for summer when I'm more likely to be swimming or on the beach. But I don't want a big watch -- the size of the Rolex is about right. Would the smaller 36mm so-called "ladies'" model Oris Aquis Date be a good choice, and would it also fit under cuffs? Many thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
60,885 Posts
The gents Aquis is 43mm diameter and has a case height of 12.6mm and the 36mm "ladies" Aquis has a case height of 11.9mm and I doubt that it will fit under your cuff in the same way as your DJ does. The ladies Aquis has the same SW 200-1 movement as the larger gents version does.
The 36mm Aquis is surprisingly popular with chaps who don't a big watch on their wrist. Besides, it would take a WIS to tell you were wearing a "ladies" watch and if you went for the black faced model it would take one with a rule to be sure that it wasn't the larger 43mm model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sticky, thanks very much. I just rooted around and found a micrometer, and the DJ is 11.5mm in height. But the Oris is less sleek, so you're probably right about not wearing it under cuffs. Could be perfect for summer though. I think I'll give it a go if I can find one with a bracelet. So far all I'm finding is the rubber strap here in Kuwait. Thoughts on that? And thanks again.

·
Premium Member
60,885 Posts
I have both the Oris rubber strap and the bracelet and you can't go wrong with either of them. It is a tad warm in Kuwait and I've heard that the rubber straps can cause people to sweat in hot climates (not a problem we have here in the U.K.) The bracelet is also a bit smarter than the rubber and is less "casual". Should you decide to get both buy the watch on a bracelet and the rubber strap individually - it's cheaper that way.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have both the Oris rubber strap and the bracelet and you can't go wrong with either of them. It is a tad warm in Kuwait and I've heard that the rubber straps can cause people to sweat in hot climates (not a problem we have here in the U.K.) The bracelet is also a bit smarter than the rubber and is less "casual". Should you decide to get both buy the watch on a bracelet and the rubber strap individually - it's cheaper that way.
contrary to other brands...there is hardly any difference when buying the aquis on bracelet or rubber, and buying the other strap later.
IIRC the rubber itself is as quoted to me by Oris is about usd100 cheaper than the bracelet...which is about the same difference with the watches on the respective straps...so doesnt make a difference which one u buy first.

what matters tho is that the bracelet is hardly in stock by Oris...which causes unscrupulous dealers holding stocks to increase the price of the bracelet itself by quite abit.
so going by that, it is better to still buy the aquis on bracelet...not cos its cheaper in the long run...but just that its easier to get a rubber strap later at what it should sell at rather than a hugely marked up bracelet from elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts