WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently got a 2009 F1 Williams watch with this movement.

Twice now using a watch winder set once at 650 bi and then 550 bi, the watch has stopped in the winder.

The instructions state 10 turns of the crown to get it moving. Other reports state up to 40 for fully wound.

I also read reports that there is an inherent weakness with this movement and that overwinding can break it, I though it would have a slip clutch ?

All in all bit confused and do want to use the winder as I wear other watches.

Cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congratulations on your recent purchase! All automatic movements should have some protection against overwinding, however I'm not 100% sure on this particular movement. It sounds like you do have an issue with the mainspring if it will not stay energized. Do you know if your watch has been serviced and if so if it was through an authorized watchmaker?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was..When fully charged by crown and wearing it lasted about 37 hours which is one less than it should which I can live with. The issue is in the winder. The winder has worked fine on an Omega so no worries there. Perhaps its a case of putting it in the winder more fully charged in the first place.

·
Premium Member
60,750 Posts
My info says the 635 needs 650 TPD and is bi-directional so you've been feeding it right. That being the case I would have hazarded a guess that it was ready for a service but you say it's had one. It could be an issue with the mainspring whereby the fairly gentle movements of the winder weren't enough to charge it up properly but if I'm honest I'm not sure. :-s

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe there is an issue with the bi-directional winding. Try setting the winder to clockwise or counter clockwise and see if the watch stays wound. I would attempt that before bringing her back to a watchmaker for inspection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI. I wore the watch after winding the crown for 10 turns, for around 12 hrs. Overnight it stopped at 6 am. Would that have been enough to charge for longer or on that basis is 10 hrs charge expected behavior ?

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts