WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had earlier considered going for one watch between Oris aquis green or Oris big crown pointer date and between these 2 I was ready to go ahead with the Oris Aquis Green 43.5mm when I happened to lay my eyes on Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot calibre 111 44m anthracite dial and I absolutely loved that it is an in-house movement developed by Oris with a 10 days PR which is really awesome and brilliant and now I am back in a tricky situation of which watch to go for. I know it is not apples to apples comparison as it is 3x the price of the Aquis green with Selita movement.

My question to you guys is which watch looks better visually and aesthetically pleasing in your eyes between these 2. Also I believe on my 7” wrist either would wear fine as difference is only of .5 mm between the 2. What is the lug to lug length of the 2 watches ? Also how is the movement accuracy and reliability as well as durability of the in-house caliber 111 developed by Oris ? Are there any known issues or problems with regard to the in house movement ? How is the lume of pro pilot 111 and how is the bracelet ? Aquis is an automatic watch with 38 hr PR whereas Big Crown Pro Pilot has 240 hr PR and is manual winding which is a technical marvel none the less.

I have presently 2 Oris divers 65 in my collection. One is 40mm black dial with funky numerals on beige canvas strap ( the original release ) and another 42mm divers 65 on riveted steel bracelet blue dial with applied markers. I also have a Hamilton Pioneer Pilot watch black dial with 80 hr PR.

I would really appreciate your inputs and feedback on both of these watches and also from people who have these watches with them. Which addition would make more sense ? One more diver ( Aquis Green ) or a Pilot watch ( Big Crown Pro Pilot Anthracite/Grey dial ) to my existing collection. Also the aquis bracelet comes with screws whereas big crown bracelet comes with pin and collar system.

I have attached the pics of the 2 watches I am considering as well as 2 Oris watches I already have in my collection. Which watch among the 2 shortlisted by me would be more versatile and look different compared to my existing collection ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61,773 Posts
Bit of a toughie for me because I gravitate towards divers and the Aquis especially but that 111 is a good looker. Bearing in mind what you already have perhaps the 111 is your best choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just posted my review of the Propilot 111 so that may answer some of your questions.
ORIS BIG CROWN PROPILOT CALIBRE 111 Initial Review
I read your detailed review and it was a fantastic write up and did address many of the queries and doubts I had with regard to how it would wear on my 7” wrist as well as my concern with regard to its timekeeping capability and accuracy over a period of 10 days. Thanks a lot mate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On another note I would like to inform you guys that I did buy one watch among the 2 options listed by me in my original post. I think it will be better if I tease you for a couple of days and then tell you which watch I actually went for in the end. Thanks again for all your help and I did take around 3 weeks time to finally take the plunge. So do let me know guys as to which watch do you think I finally went for in the end. 😊

Also I was kinda tied up with some things hence wasn’t active much here in the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear that you bought one of those watches. I have an Aquis myself (black dial version with brushed case and bracelet) which is a great watch. Despite that, for what it’s worth, I would have suggested going for the Propilot because it’s a stunning looking watch and also I’m personally not a huge fan of the Green Aquis (although I know a lot of people are).

·
Registered
152 Posts
We have similar taste at least in the Sixty-Fives. My 2nd Swiss watch and 1st Oris was the 40mm in black w/the arabic numerals about 3 years ago. It came on the rubber strap and rather than buying a bracelet i bought the 42mm in blue w/a bracelet. Earlier this year, I pickup a 43.5 Aquis w/the black polished dial. It came w/both a bracelet and black rubber strap. It instantly became my favorite watch. I then sold the 42mm as it was a little big. Yeah, seem odd that the 43.5 fits and the 42mm didn't but it was mostly the lug to lug. After that I found a great price on a Great Barrier Reef III and couldn't refuse the deal. I then sold the 40mm Sixty-Five. So I basically exchanged two Sixty-Fives for two Aquis. I'm pretty happy though I think one of each may be the ideal. If I get another Sixty-Five it would likely be the 40mm w/the blue dial - sort of a combination of the two I had earlier.

I know this doesn't answer your question but you've apparently decided already. But it was just today that I started to notice the Caliber 111 and must say it's very nice. A bit outside my budget but I do like the other Pro Pilots too. As re the green Aquis I'll admit I'm not much for green. But if I were to get a green diver then this would be the one.

Please update your post so we know what you decided.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

Sorry for keeping you in the dark for so long.
I finally went for the Oris big crown calibre 111 anthracite dial as it is a manual wind watch with an in house calibre and has 10 days PR. Also the greyish dial colour of this watch is more versatile compared to the green dial of Aquis ( which is sublime in its own right ). Also as I already have 2 divers in my collection, Oris divers 65 models - 40mm ( Arabic numerals black dial ) on beige textile strap and 42mm ( dark blue with applied dot numerals ) on riveted steel bracelet, I thought it would be better to opt for a Pilot watch with an in house calibre as the existing 2 models has the selitta SW 200 movement so this pilot model would add more variety and versatility to my small collection. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions in helping me to finally decide and take a call.
Here are a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure :-

40F3FE52-8CC9-4C55-9006-AA15BFB9FC73.png
C3B9B736-2021-4BCD-AACA-92A17377B42E.png

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully will be able to add an Oris Aquis and the Oris pointer date to my collection at some point in the future. 😊

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Nice. Congrats! I'm eyeing the blue dial version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts