WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone familiar with the Aquis can comment on this. I have a question regarding the winding/tightening of the Aquis crown. I bought my brother the watch in question 3 years ago and he's noticed that when he winds the crown to lock it in, i.e. when pushing down and catching it so it no longer freely winds but tightens, it only tightens about a 1/3 turn or so. He swears it used to wind in a couple full turns before it was locked down. When I hold the watch up to the light I can see a tiny bit of space between the crown's bottom and the side of the case. How much should a healthy crown turn in order to properly lock it down? This can be different on different watch brands so I'm not familiar with how the Oris should behave. Thanks.

·
Registered
36,272 Posts
The crown has been cross threaded and is no longer seating properly or sealing properly and may leak.

I have 2 Aquis and they screwdown much more than 1/3 of a turn.

Edit: Just checked them, they screwdown nearly 3 full turns.

·
Registered
60,522 Posts
Just had a chat with my Aquis watches and they all take several turns to tighten up. If it was another brand of watch I'd say that perhaps 1/3 of a turn was the norm but as it's an Aquis I'm more inclined to say that it could be cross threaded and wants looking at.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Definitely cross threaded. The hermeticity has been compromised! I believe the crown and crown tube will need to be replaced to correct this issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your responses. I'll have to give my bro a course in how to wind down the crown properly. In to the AD it goes for repairs this week. Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was able to pick up the watch from the AD this week. They had to get a new crown and tube set sent out from Oris. Now it takes about three full turns to tighten down the crown; that's more like it! $150 later and the watch is back in action.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Happy to hear that they were able to repair the watch. After the crown tube replacement, does the crown sit flush with the case? I have read about and seen a bunch of Rolex crown tube replacements where the crown does not sit flush with the case. Just curious.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed the crown does sit flush to the case. When I hold it up to a lamp, I see no light coming through. Note in the picture it looks like the crown is not quite touching the case but that recessed portion is actually the bottom part of the crown.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Aquis takes approximately 3 full turns to lock down. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed and back on the job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts