WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else ever have a problem with how the bezel on the Aquis turns too easily? I find it moved off-center frequently when wearing it. It seems to turn too easily; as this is not an issue with any of my other divers.
Is this something I could have fixed since mine is barely a year old?
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
That isn't normal, and it means the mechanism is defective or worn out. Do you spin it a lot while wearing the watch (it's amazing how many people wear out the mechanism by spinning the bezel all the time without giving it a thought)?. In any case, you should try to get it repaired under warranty. I had exactly the same problem with my Breitling SOH and, although Breitling said it's an external 'wear' issue that's not covered under the warranty, they repaired it for free anyway as a goodwill gesture. Oris might consider it to be covered, and if they don't they might repair it for free anyway. Either way, it's a very inexpensive fix because they don't even need to open the watch.

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
Hi Terry, I too think there is a problem with the bezel as none of my divers has a bezel that "wanders about" like yours does. My Aquis Titan gets a lot of wrist time and even though it is less than a year old the bezel never turns on its own. Like Brent says see if Oris will fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how often do you turn the bezel? I rarely ever adjust the bezel on my Aquis, but in the few times I have, it was very tight and solid feeling... basically what I would expect from a well made dive watch. I'm curious if your symptoms are likely caused by frequent turning or possibly a manufacturing issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tumbler, I never turn the bezel on my Oris or any of my dive watches for that matter. It wasnt ever snug enough for the year I've owned it. Just didn't notice it right away after the purchase.
Just have to make time to contact Oris and then go without it for a while.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gonna ship to Oris service in MA. They'll determine upon receipt if it's covered. I'll let you know the results and turnaround time. Looking forward to a tighter bezel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update regarding my Oris Aquis Date:
I have received the estimate/warranty determination from Boston Watch Co whom does Oris's warranty work in the USA. They said they would replace the second hand because it's pitted/discolored (seperate issue) under warranty, but determined that there is nothing wrong with the bezel's "action".
The watchmaker said that he wears the same watch and that his will occasionally wander when wearing too, but that was normal.
Honestly?!
I explained that out of all my divers, that this was the only watch that it's bezel moved when wearing, and I found it annoying/bothersome.
The rep then gave me Oris's customer service number and said I would have to get their authorization for a case replacement, and that they could not make that decision.
So,
I spoke with Oris's customer service today and he told me he would have to speak with his boss, and that he'd call me back by Monday.
Here's hoping I can get a tighter bezel action through Oris, and that this is NOT their norm.
I'll keep you posted.

Regards

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
Terry, I have enough Oris dive watches to sink a proverbial battleship and not one of them has a bezel that moves when I'm wearing it so I would say that this is not the norm. The rubber bezel on my PDD sometimes wanders but this is to be expected when I'm wearing a leather coat. None of my other bezels EVER moves.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hopefully the Oris rep will approve the work. It really makes you wonder about the quality of service at Boston Watch Co. if a wandering bezel gives them absolutely no pause.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
It's definitely not the norm, and it has nothing to do with the case. It's the mechanism within the bezel. They don't even need to replace the bezel to fix it. Worst case it's replacement of the ratchet mechanism... best case, it's a simple adjustment (depending on the nature of the mechanism they use). I'm speaking from experience with other brands with this problem, as I've never had the problem with any of my Oris.

The guys at Boston Watch must be idiots if they think it's normal for a diving bezel to wander. A diving bezel needs to lock firmly in position, otherwise it's a safety issue. It's like saying it's normal for the speedometer in your car to wander.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts