WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have narrowed down my search for my first automatic watch and came to the conclusion that it will be the Oris Aquis Date that I want. However, when I was trying both the 43mm and 40mm at my local AD, I was getting really unsure of firstly the size of the watch and secondly the color of the black 40 mm version. I wear a suit to work and I believe the 43mm will be too big and "flashy" for me in my line of work, and that the 40mm will be just perfect. I have been reading up on this watch for quite some time now, that it does wear smaller than it seems, but I am undecisive. Since I believe I have decided to go for the 40mm (changing my mind pretty often..) another question arose; the color of the dial looks way to gray than it should be. Is the 40mm the smarter choice when wearing a suit for work?

Is this normal due to light settings or is the black version usually this gray?

14513604_10153814326857797_1268721277_o.jpg 14536650_10153814326532797_507941555_o.jpg

Compared to this one that I found on the internet:
blackcolor.jpg

That one looks more black than the one on my wrist.

To sum it up:

Based on the pictures, is the 40mm the right way to go alongside a suit for a daily wearer or does it look way off? And lastly, regarding the color. Is the color on my picture the actual black color or is it some bad version of it?

This is my first grail watch I will be buying as an achievement for making it through university and landing my first great job, so please be kind if this question has been answered before, I have simply not found it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 43mm looks like it works on your wrist. Keep in mind that many people wear the Submariner, which is a 40mm but wears more like a 42mm, with a suit everyday and it works! It really depends on the size of your wrist and what you feel is right for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
after bracelet adjustment you will find 43 version just perfect. I had 40 mm and after 6 months changed it to 43. 40s little bit girly with this narrow bracelet, trust me

Wysłane z mojego SM-N920C przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
734 Posts
While I have never owned an Oris diver I feel qualified to chime in as I owned a Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish 42.
In my profession I wore a suit almost daily. I took my position very seriously, as well as my attire. With that said, I personally would never wear a diver in a suit...never. Not to offend anyone but it looks "juvenile" imho. I either wore my DateJust or a vintage Omega (36mm) with a suit. Looked terrific and professional. Remember, just because you think it looks good may not be the case. I feel it's important to understand other's perception of you. I hear people say "it does not matter what other's think." Interesting concept lol...then why wear a nice suit at all? Why worry about the size of the watch? You see what I mean.

If you want a watch to wear with a suit, buy a dress watch. It's pretty simple actually.
With regards to the size, I found the 42 to be near perfect for me at the time. As I have gotten older now (and retired), I enjoy wearing smaller watches (38-41 mm).

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I was wearing a suit everyday I would be wearing a dress watch. Such as a Frederique Constant. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with wearing a dive watch with a suit. I wouls go with the 40 mm. The 43 is a bit obnoxious IMO. Especially if you are wearing a suit

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally think the blue faced dial would go great with a suit. I wear the 43mm black dial. I think the blue dial looks more dressy than the black dial. My perfect size for me is 42mm, 40 just feels too small. The 43mm is a fairly chunky watch but is perfect for me. That said, I wouldn't want it any bigger. Whatever size that is in the picture, I think that blue dial will look great. I think the black dial is a little more versatile though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another vote for the blue 43. Subtle but still different enough catch the eye.

Full disclosure- I have an affinity for blue face watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i personally would go for the 40mm version just because of my wrist size (6.75in) It is also harder to come by nowaday since it has been discontinued. If anyone knows where to obtain the 40mm aquis, please do share !! =)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the 43mm version is suffice for wrist sizes above 6.5". If your wrist like mine is below that, the 40mm is perfect! The proportions are good, the bracelet has a nice taper, the clasp isn't gigantic, comfortable and the markers look clean.

I wear a dress shirt to work every day and the 40mm is thin enough it fits under the cuff. The same can't be said for the 43mm. Like most, I wish it came in the blue dial.

Below are comparisons with other watches. 40mm vs xx:

43mm:

Not feeling the big clasp

It won't go under the cuff but the strap is nice. Definitely a weekend watch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Perhaps a SARB033.
This X 1000.

I love the Aquis, couldn't recommend it more highly. But don't worry about making it go with a suit, not that it can't, just don't make that the focus. Get whichever one you like the best.
Get the SARB for work and you're set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the Oris Aquis in silver blurs the line between dive and dress watch even further. I think the 40mm that you have there is a little more elegant though. Can't go wrong either way!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Count me in with the people who have expressed opinion that divers are not for suits. Dress watches are for suits. Many would say that it's not even appropriate to wear a metal band with a suit, even on an otherwise dress watch.

Is it silly to live your life according to rules imposed by society? Yes I suppose to an extent. But would you wear athletic shoes with your suit? If not, perhaps you should also consider not wearing a sport watch. Just sharing my 2 cents. Make what you want of it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Generally I recommend the Aquis, but you say you need it mostly to pair with a suit. While it won't be a disaster, you still should consider a dress watch. Oris makes some, Longines makes some as well. Longines' metal bracelets don't come close to Oris but when you go leather I don't think there will be a problem. They might even excel at dress watches more than Oris. But if you're really locked on the Aquis, I'd say go 43. Looks fine on your wrist, and I do know that many people regret buying the 40's. I have a 43 gradient blue Aquis myself, and it is an excellent watch, especially for the price. One word of advice regarding the gradient blue - it looks brighter in the pictures. In reality it is very dark. When I recieved it I wondered for a second if this is even the gradient blue version. When lights are not very strong it might even appear as black. Overall if you want a diver you can't go wrong with this one, you won't find a genuinely better diver below the 3k price point (talking Omegas and Breitlings). Definetly best bracelet in the sub 3k range (blasts away Longines, Tag, Certina, and some more). One more brand to consider might be Rado. They are more dressy than Oris and as far as I checked they are probably of similar overall quality. As I said, I generally recommend the Aquis, but in your spesific case I strongly recommend considering a dress watch. The Aquis is a big and thick watch, it means more trouble with your sleeve. A sleek dress watch will easily go beneath and out of your sleeve according to your hand moves and you probably won't have problems with it. Take a look at the following lines - Oris Artelier, Longines Master Collection. With Rado it gets interesting because their bracelets are VERY dressy in my opinion, due to the black ceramic links. I think a big part of their entire collection would compliment a suit. So, to summerize, if you really want the Aquis then go for it, but at least take a look at dress watches before deciding to do so. Just so you'll be sure you're making the right decision.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had the 43mm Aquis and will wear it on the bracelet with suits from time to time. I don't have big wrists either and just love the feel of the 43.

While I do agree about getting a proper dress watch, your style is what you make it. Wear whatever you want whenever you want. The watch on my wrist is an extension of my mood for the day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts