WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

I've had this watch for about an hour and I want to share my initial/first impression - sort of "out of the box" thoughts.

I have owned a few watches - a few Seikos (a quartz diver, a Sawtooth, a SBDC001 (Sumo), a titanium SBDC007 (Shogun) and a SKX173), a Sinn UX S EZM 2 B, a Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M Quartz Chronograph and a few others that I have forgotten for the moment. I still have the Sinn and will never sell it. As some of you know, it has a thermocompensated quartz movement, and is made of submarine steel. It is an incredibly tough and accurate watch.

The Aquis I am wearing right now is complementary to the UX. Almost like yin and yang. The diameter of the UX is 44mm while the diameter of the Aquis is 43mm; so, basically the same size. The UX is dark while the Aquis is light. The UX has a black matte finish while the Aquis has a chromed/polished finish and high gloss ceramic. The UX has a high accuracy quartz movement while the Aquis has a solid workhorse automatic movement. The UX has a durable and thick black silicon strap while the Aquis has a durable and thick polished metal bracelet. Both have dials that are extremely legible and clean. Both are fairly heavy watches.

I said I would never sell the Sumo that I owned. When I began this journey of acquiring the Aquis one of the first things I did was sell the Sumo (along with the Seiko Shogun a few days before). The Sumo is a very nice watch with very nice fit and finish for a $460 watch. I don't regret selling the Sumo or the Shogun that made this possible. I sold off every other watch I owned, as well, except for the UX to make this possible. I believe I made the correct decision. I realize that this is VERY early in the honeymoon phase with my new (to me) Aquis, but this, like my UX, is a keeper. I now have two watches - one a quartz and the other an automatic. Both are watches you don't see every day and I like that. I am confident that I can live the rest of my days with these two and be quite happy. Yin and yang have been established and the universe is in order. Of course, that doesn't mean that the balance couldn't be improved with the addition of another Oris (or Sinn for that matter). I am DEFINITELY a fan and deovete of Oris.

I am happy.

Rob

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
Rob, you know that honeymoon feeling you get with the Aquis? There's a good chance that you'll never lose it.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Pics?!? haha
I know... Right? I am at work right now and for some odd reason, my desktop is not allowing me to post the cell phone photo that took when I first put it on. I plan on posting a few this evening.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
No surprises here. Oris watches are phenomenal. Enjoy it!!

Wearing mine now on this crap rainy trip home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the quick and dirty photo (that I couldn't post from my work desk top) I took with my cell phone after having un-boxed my Aquis and adjusting the time and date:

photo.JPG

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob, you know that honeymoon feeling you get with the Aquis? There's a good chance that you'll never lose it.
Sticky,

I know I'll get grief for saying this, if anyone from one of the other sub-forums looks up my latest posts, but... I used to say that the Seiko Sumo was the best bang for your buck watch made today. Not any more. I now believe that the Aquis is the best bang for your buck watch made today. I'm not just saying this because I happen to own one and have become a fan of Oris. I'm saying this because I am blown away by this watch. I have never seen or held an Omega or a Rolex so this is probably a grossly naive statement but I have a hard time believing that watches made by either company are head and shoulders above what Oris produces. If that is a naive statement then so be it - I am naive.

This is, hands down, the nicest watch I own. It isn't the most expensive (my Sinn UX was more expensive both new and used) but it is the nicest. I have no idea how much this Aquis cost new - I'm guessing around $1500 - but it is much nicer than the Tag Heuer Aquaracer chronograph (now retailing for $2800) that I used to own, from the bezel, to the bracelet to the dial. Y'all said that the bracelet was awesome but that isn't even an accurate statement. The bracelet is AWESOME! It is substantial and, yet, very comfortable.

I am blown away.

Thank you for the great and sage advice.

Rob

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Sweet watch, man. Looks great on you. I have a 43mm Aquis and think it's the perfect dive watch. It's very classy, functional with excellent fit and finish, and very affordable.

Oh, and if you think the crown is smooth now, brush the crown threads off and run some waxed floss around the threads. It's crazy. I have 25 watches and the Aquis has the nicest crown. My Oris PDD comes in second btw.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rosborn, it looks great on you and I'm so very happy for you. Wear it in good health my friend!
Wouldn't have been possible were it not for you. Thank you for allowing me to own such a wonderfuland beautiful watch.

Reactions: TTL

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robotaz,

Thanks. It's already my favorite watch and not just because it's the latest and greatest. I'm so impressed with the incredible shine of the ceramic bezel and the classy interplay between the dial face and hands.

I would love to have you tell me about your 25 watch collection. Obviously I am a watch guy, or I wouldn't be here drooling over the beautiful Oris watches; so, please tell me more about your collection.

Rob

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Your diver looks great on your wrist! Congrats on your new Oris!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Congrats on you Oris. I whole heartily agree with your assessment that Oris are best bang for the buck. Great design, great material, great finish. No other watch even comes close on those 3 criteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congrats on your new Aquis. Wear your Oris in good health always. I too am a new Oris owner having bought one in Aruba while on a cruise earlier this month. I have Rolex and Omega divers and IMO the Oris Aquis is more than a match for them. And, as you say, the bracelet is awesome! My 46mm Frog says hello.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Robotaz,

Thanks. It's already my favorite watch and not just because it's the latest and greatest. I'm so impressed with the incredible shine of the ceramic bezel and the classy interplay between the dial face and hands.

I would love to have you tell me about your 25 watch collection. Obviously I am a watch guy, or I wouldn't be here drooling over the beautiful Oris watches; so, please tell me more about your collection.

Rob
Head over to my profile and check 'em out. If you have any interest, let me know and we can talk more specifics.

In general, I like stuff that has a low radar signature, Hamiltons, and JDM Seikos. I'm leaning away from Seiko more and more, but love my Landmaster and Darth Tuna.

Check it out:

https://www.watchuseek.com/member.php?u=130975

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on your new Oris! Since I purchased my Aquis it's rarely come off my wrist and there's no denying that Oris really delivers the best bang for your buck. Only took me three weeks after my first Oris purchase to order my Maldives, which should be arriving any day now :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts