1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently picked up an Aquis diver for the missus,

Its been running quite fast, 5 minutes fast in the last 5-6 days

Also, after her not wearing it for a day when picking it up and giving it a bit of a gentle shake, i can hear the movement is next to full (light clicking of the gears)

is it possible that this watch may have some kind of crazy reserve time? I have a TT1 Lume dial with the same movement, and hers feels a GREAT deal stiffer to wind, but not too hard that i am causing damage.
The TT1 is a 2007 Lume Dial, and hers a 2013 Aquis

Cheers!
2013-11-12 21.30.53.jpg

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Assuming you recently bought it new with warranty, or used with remaining warranty, you should send it in for service. The fix should be covered.

I'm no expert by any means, but I can tell you a couple of examples based on my own experience that caused my watches to run fast in the past (they may or may not have any bearing on your issue). I once had a watch that was running extremely fast out of the box after receiving it in the mail (about +5 secs per minute). It was due to jostling of the box during shipping that caused the hairspring to catch and wrap onto something in the movement, effectively tightening it up and making the movement run fast. I took it to my local watchmaker and he diagnosed it immediately just from looking at it through the display back. It was a fast and cheap fix. The other time I had a watch running fast (about +30 secs per day) I was told it was because of oil on the hairspring that effectively tightened it up slightly and made the watch run fast (problem went away the next time I had a cleaning and partial service). Both instances were caused by things that were affecting the hairspring.

·
Premium Member
60,641 Posts
Your watch will probably have an ETA movement in it whereas the Aquis may well have a Sellita powering it hence the different feel when winding. No matter - If you bought the Aquis new with a guarantee this is a warranty matter. There are a couple of things that come to mind that could cause a watch to gain like the Aquis. One is a knotted spring as Brent suggested and the other is if the watch has become magnetised. Either way a decent watchmaker should sort it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your watch will probably have an ETA movement in it whereas the Aquis may well have a Sellita powering it hence the different feel when winding. No matter - If you bought the Aquis new with a guarantee this is a warranty matter. There are a couple of things that come to mind that could cause a watch to gain like the Aquis. One is a knotted spring as Brent suggested and the other is if the watch has become magnetised. Either way a decent watchmaker should sort it out.
The Lumi has one of the first editions of the SW2000, not the sw2000-1 unfortunately, the aquis does too have the same movement.

The watch was purchased from FOO if that helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts