WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my Aquis which I was told had a sapphire case back by Oris boutique London and the sales people in the shop I bought from, I kept seeing people say it is mineral. Also some online stores say it's mineral. Some reviews say it's sapphire.

Well it's mineral. I totally missed that on the oris.ch website when I first checked that the specifications has a drop down menu.

A bit disappointed that Oris boutique London were adamant that it was sapphire. And that they didn't actually get back to me after saying they would contact the repairs department and get back to me. Also 3 different people where I bought it from all said it was sapphire. An easy mistake to miss the drop down menu on the website but I feel they should know what it is.

Oh well I still love it

But does mineral crystal really belong on a modern watch with an RRP of 1800GBP?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
After buying my Aquis which I was told had a sapphire case back by Oris boutique London and the sales people in the shop I bought from, I kept seeing people say it is mineral. Also some online stores say it's mineral. Some reviews say it's sapphire.

Well it's mineral. I totally missed that on the oris.ch website when I first checked that the specifications has a drop down menu.

A bit disappointed that Oris boutique London were adamant that it was sapphire. And that they didn't actually get back to me after saying they would contact the repairs department and get back to me. Also 3 different people where I bought it from all said it was sapphire. An easy mistake to miss the drop down menu on the website but I feel they should know what it is.

Oh well I still love it

But does mineral crystal really belong on a modern watch with an RRP of 1800GBP?
For close to £2k I'd expect sapphire on the back.

Makes you think about other brands that might be using Mineral. I've been told the Hamilton khaki I wear has a sapphire back but not so sure now...

No big deal though, enjoy your watch

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
63,176 Posts
Mineral is fine but I agree with MrAuto that for the money they really ought to fit sapphire. It’s not an obscure question that you asked the boutique and I really can’t understand them not finding out and letting you know.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not surprised that it is mineral as there is no real risk if it getting scratched; sapphire would be nice but would be overkill. Just the fact that it's see-through (and an Oris) would be enough for me, but then there have been things about watches that I have purchased that drove me up the wall, so I'm not minimizing the disappointment. As for the sales people, they really should know their product better. The watch is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm not surprised that it is mineral as there is no real risk if it getting scratched; sapphire would be nice but would be overkill. Just the fact that it's see-through (and an Oris) would be enough for me, but then there have been things about watches that I have purchased that drove me up the wall, so I'm not minimizing the disappointment. As for the sales people, they really should know their product better. The watch is beautiful.
But I think if you put stainless steel watches with the clasp directly beneath the case back there is a chance it can get scratched.

·
Registered
698 Posts
But I think if you put stainless steel watches with the clasp directly beneath the case back there is a chance it can get scratched.
If you mean if the watch is off the wrist, possibly. But I believe that the thinking is that it is the side of the watch that is rarely seen except by the wearer. My Orient Star Seeker is the same way, mineral on back. I couldn't care less about that because it is always against my wrist, and I don't think I ever thought about a scratch on the back. I think the OP's point was more that he expected sapphire because sales people confirmed the back was sapphire even though it was not. I agree that sales people should know their stuff and not provide misinformation. I don't blame the OP for being ticked.

·
Registered
698 Posts

Oh well I still love it

OP, have you considered making a fuss at the AD? It is unacceptable that you were told one thing and got something else. If it were me I'd call the manager, visit the store, throw as much of a fit as you are able, and maybe suggest they give you free Oris strap to go with that nice watch to make up for your disappointment. That's what I'd do. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is unfortunate. I would expect this from a department store, but not a watch boutique. The mineral crystal can get scratched if the clasp is against it. I have a Mido oceanstar with a scratched crystal on the underside. If you are a little cautious when taking it off and placing it somewhere, I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OP, have you considered making a fuss at the AD? It is unacceptable that you were told one thing and got something else. If it were me I'd call the manager, visit the store, throw as much of a fit as you are able, and maybe suggest they give you free Oris strap to go with that nice watch to make up for your disappointment. That's what I'd do. Worth a shot.
I like this idea 😁😁

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Here's my thoughts:

- Yes, it's unacceptable that you were told incorrect information. That being said, not very surprising. You can try and go back to the boutique's general manager and see what they might to compensate, but this is also a situation where you may ruin your relationship with your AD. So tread carefully.

- I honestly don't know what the big deal is with folks complaining about this. How many of you have damaged your mineral glass exhibitionist casebacks ? I haven't damaged a single one. Not scratched, not damaged, nothing. Not sure what you're all doing with your watches, but maybe take a bit better care of them ? 🤷‍♀️

- "For $2K I EXPECT sapphire glass ! " :rolleyes: If you don't like it, don't buy the watch (I realize the OP was misinformed, so this comment doesn't apply to him).

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my thoughts:

- Yes, it's unacceptable that you were told incorrect information. That being said, not very surprising. You can try and go back to the boutique's general manager and see what they might to compensate, but this is also a situation where you may ruin your relationship with your AD. So tread carefully.

- I honestly don't know what the big deal is with folks complaining about this. How many of you have damaged your mineral glass exhibitionist casebacks ? I haven't damaged a single one. Not scratched, not damaged, nothing. Not sure what you're all doing with your watches, but maybe take a bit better care of them ? 🤷‍♀️

- "For $2K I EXPECT sapphire glass ! " :rolleyes: If you don't like it, don't buy the watch (I realize the OP was misinformed, so this comment doesn't apply to him).

It's not my AD it is just one shop of many. Why are you talking like a we are multiple Rolex owners XD I've never scratched mineral crystal even on the front never mind the back so no real worry about that. Don't get so worked up about other people's preferences, pretty sure you have your own preferences and I bet some are just as pedantic.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
It's not my AD it is just one shop of many. Why are you talking like a we are multiple Rolex owners XD I've never scratched mineral crystal even on the front never mind the back so no real worry about that. Don't get so worked up about other people's preferences, pretty sure you have your own preferences and I bet some are just as pedantic.
Not "worked up" at all, just giving thoughts. And it has nothing to do with preferences, it's the whole "well for $x.xx there SHOULD BE blah blah blah". The great thing about an open market consumer economy is that everyone is free to choose to purchase whatever they want, from whomever they want. I find the whole "for THAT PRICE there BETTER BE" mentality ridiculous. If you don't like the product and don't agree with what you get for the price, don't buy it, pretty simple.

That being said, I was very specific in saying that comment did NOT apply to you, as you were misled in your purchase. That's an entirely different scenario.

What happened in the end ? Did you end up going back to the retailer ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts