WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I had received a T.H. WAN2110 for Christmas. Unfortunately, the crown/stem have already malfunctioned. I noticed the crown was "slipping" when I was manually winding it so I took it to my local AD and they confirmed this issue. Luckily, I was able to either exchange the watch or get a refund for it. I opted for the refund.

While I was getting my watch examined, I was looking at the Oris watches on display since this watch shop is an Oris AD. I must admit I really, really, really like the Aquis Date. I didn't ask how much it was but I'm thinking its around $1700. Before I pull the trigger on this I was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations for watches similar to this price point. I searched a few threads and I saw the Certina DS Action Diver pop up in a few threads which looked pretty sharp.

If you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them. You guys are notorious for having good taste b-)

As far as things I'm looking for
-Dressier Diver
-Swiss Made
-Something bold/unique. Not a submil homage.
-Great lume of course :-d
-Somewhere in the $1500-$1700 price range

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had one before on the bracelet, added the (very comfortable) rubber afterwards as well. It's a well made watch, that's for sure. If you're looking for a dressier diver it's probably one of the better ones in that price range. For what it's worth, the lume on mine wasn't anything to brag about.

I ended up flipping mine as I discovered the PCLs aren't my thing, and it made it a bit too blingy. I paid $1,700CAD for mine from the AD, if you're in the US you should be able to get one cheaper than that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the Aquis. I was shopping that when I got my Longines Hydroconquest. So I'd recommend at least checking out the Longines, you might like that too.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Between the Oris and Certina, I'd go with the Oris on bracelet. The lume on the Oris will be better than the Certina, but not by much.

If you can drop your "Swiss Made" stipulation, check out the Zixen Vintage Heliox Diver, which is 44mm. It's one of the nicest watches I've ever owned, and the lume is excellent. It also has a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That price is about what they retail for. You should be able to find a better deal. I found mine for roughly half that cost. Phenomenal piece, and I think it is unbeatable at its pricepoint. Go for it!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm not sure about the pricing, but I've always liked the look of the Longines Legend Diver. I also recently had an AD offer me an Oris Maldives for $1500 that seemed like a lot of watch for the $, although maybe not as versatile as the Aquis. Good Luck!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi Guys,
I had received a T.H. WAN2110 for Christmas. Unfortunately, the crown/stem have already malfunctioned. I noticed the crown was "slipping" when I was manually winding it so I took it to my local AD and they confirmed this issue. Luckily, I was able to either exchange the watch or get a refund for it. I opted for the refund.

While I was getting my watch examined, I was looking at the Oris watches on display since this watch shop is an Oris AD. I must admit I really, really, really like the Aquis Date. I didn't ask how much it was but I'm thinking its around $1700. Before I pull the trigger on this I was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations for watches similar to this price point. I searched a few threads and I saw the Certina DS Action Diver pop up in a few threads which looked pretty sharp.

If you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them. You guys are notorious for having good taste b-)

As far as things I'm looking for
-Dressier Diver
-Swiss Made
-Something bold/unique. Not a submil homage.
-Great lume of course :-d

-Somewhere in the $1500-$1700 price range
Steinhart Ocean Two Premium perhaps? It fits all the criteria except the last one :-d
steinhart-ocean-two-watch_2_.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I have a little homework to do now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The issue with the Tag is possible with all 2824 powered watches, in that price range I would look for a used Omega SMP.
Out of curiosity where would you look for a used SMP?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
At half the price of the Oris with every bit the quality, the DS Action diver would be the obvious way to go between the two. It has a mil sub dial you want to avoid, but the size, case shape, date placement, bezel cut, DS innovation absolutely eliminates it from being an homage. As dressy divers go, you'd be hard press to do any better than the Longines Hydroconquest as well. Will save at least five hundred bucks of your budget with this one.

Reactions: Mikeman

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
The Oris Aquis is a good watch. I had a blue one and liked it. It wears a bit large for a 43mm watch.

I also have an Omega Seamaster Professional (2254.50) which is a keeper in my collection as I regard it to be a modern Omega classic. If you can find a nice one on the WUS sales forum I think you would like it. Here are pics of my 2254.50. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I love my Oris.
Great value
great quality
unique look
nice steel case not too thick
sapphire crystal w AR inside
ceramic bezel,
nice blue lume
display back
wonderful rubber
wonderful clasp
screwed lug pins
Swiss ETA movement
wonderfully symmetrical dial w date at 6

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I've owned three different Oris watches (I trade/sell 'em away but I always keep one in the collection), and wouldn't hesitate to own a fourth or more. Great value, great finishing, and (I think) really unique design.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts