WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I had a problem with my Aquis, the watch would intermittently stop. Sent it off for an estimate (not Oris, local shop), $570 to fully overhaul my watch movement. Is this a fair price for a full overhaul? How much would it cost to buy a new movement and crown? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hi All:

I had a problem with my Aquis, the watch would intermittently stop. Sent it off for an estimate (not Oris, local shop), $570 to fully overhaul my watch movement. Is this a fair price for a full overhaul? How much would it cost to buy a new movement and crown? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.
That sounds high. I just had my Oris F1 7560 with an ETA 2836-2 movement overhauled, replaced the sapphire crystal and new (aftermarket unfortunately) tube, stem and crown replaced and polished the bright work for $300 total. I say look around. If I'm not mistaken the movement on your Aquis is a Selita SW200 based movement? I think you can find those for about $200 new online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
You should check with The Watchmaker in MA to see what they would charge. I had them fix a crown on a Glycine I used to own and I seem to recall it costing me about $150. I was just quoted $900 for a complete service on an ETA 7750, when the time comes. So the quote you received doesn't sound unreasonable. As far as replacing the movement, that would depend on what movement you're replacing. What movement is in your Aquis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,245 Posts
I was quoted HK$1800 (($230) for a clean and lube service on my Longines (ETA2824 same as SW200-1) by the Swatch Gp service centre here in Hong Kong which doesn't include any replacement parts. It does seem high. The only thing is that if you buy a replacement movt you might not get the top grade spec that will be fitted to your Oris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,245 Posts
Oh - why do you need a new crown?

·
Registered
222 Posts
That sounds like the cost of a Rolex service, not an Oris. The person servicing it may just be unreasonably high on everything.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Need to know what's in the service quote. If it's just a standard service, (cleaning and oiling), then the quote is high. My guy in NYC will charge between $150-$300 depending on watch and movement (ETA, Selita, non chrono or complication past day and date). Your "watch stopping" issue might be indicative of parts needing replacement and so the price might not be that high.

You could send to the Oris service center and see what they would charge. Of course it matters where your watch repair is located. Are they a "jewelry store" with a high rent in a mall etc? Is it a place on the strip or off? I'm sure if you were to drive to Reno the prices would drop but if he's in the heart of the strip you're going to pay a premium. My guy is one of the best in NYC but is in a small location on the outskirts of the city limits so he's reasonable. Too many variables to make an accurate assessment.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
You should check with The Watchmaker in MA to see what they would charge. I had them fix a crown on a Glycine I used to own and I seem to recall it costing me about $150. I was just quoted $900 for a complete service on an ETA 7750, when the time comes. So the quote you received doesn't sound unreasonable. As far as replacing the movement, that would depend on what movement you're replacing. What movement is in your Aquis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The $580 quoted for the Oris is too high, and that $900 for a 7750 is WAAAY too high. I paid $550 to have my Speedmaster serviced. I've paid less than $200 to have my Seiko 6139's serviced. I would think a 7750 shouldn't cost more than $500. The Oris should cost $250-300 max.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The $580 quoted for the Oris is too high, and that $900 for a 7750 is WAAAY too high. I paid $550 to have my Speedmaster serviced. I've paid less than $200 to have my Seiko 6139's serviced. I would think a 7750 shouldn't cost more than $500. The Oris should cost $250-300 max.
Agreed. Shop around.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Oh h..l no! Please don't get caught up on the local aspect. I lived in city of 6 million and couldn't find reasonable, knowledgeable watchmaker. I have 2 guys (one for low-mid range and one for high-end) that are the best. Even with shipping and insurance costs to and from the price and assurance it'll be done right are well worth it. Three hand runs $150ish with new mainspring and $250-350ish for Valjoux and other chronos. My El Primero and/or Coaxial might run a bit more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it needs new parts, it might just make sense to buy an another aquis used. With these mid-range pieces, I feel like its always a tough call to repair or replace. Unless you have sentimental value in it of course!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts