WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too familiar with the Oris brand, was originally looking at Tag Heuer link series, but this beauty caught my eye and is significantly cheaper than the Tag I was looking at it. Any thoughts/review on Oris in general or on this specific model? I'm assuming that unfortunately, it is not a perpetual calender...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oris provides good value for the money - a good product at a reasonable price - and unique designs.
The Artelier watches are very popular dress watches. Very attractive designs in a case that fits nicely on most wrists. In the Artelier line, the three models that I've seen the most "buzz" about are the Complication, Skeleton, and the small Seconds. The skeleton model is so popular that many dealers are out of stock and they're backordered at Oris until next year.

My next watch will be an Oris Artelier Complication, with the new style white dial, on a dark brown strap.

Another favorite of mine is the Artelier Small Seconds, with the black/white dial, on the black strap ... or on the bracelet.

You MUST see these watches in person to see just how beautiful they really are. Check your local ADs.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Artelier Complication has an automatic mechanical movement developed by Oris.
It features the following functions:
- the three main hands count the hours, minutes, and seconds (of course)
- at 3:00 is a subdial for the day of the week
- at 9:00 is a subdial for the date
- at 6:00 is a subdial for a second time zone
- just below 12:00 is a moon-phase window

Be aware, however, that setting this watch can get a little "complicated" because of the moon phase setting. So, if you're not planning on wearing this on a daily basis, you may want to keep it on a winder when it's not on your wrist.

Steve

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I went to my local AD today, and they didn't have that specific model...in fact, she said it wasn't in her catalog all together, and said that maybe not all models were available in each country. I thought this was king d of weird :-s. Anyways, they had a similar model in stock. Tried it on, looked good, so ended up buying the watch :-!. Got 25% off retail off the bat, probably could have gotten a little more if I pushed harder but I'm happy with the purchase.

Just one quick question, this is technically a christmas present from my fiance so she wants to wrap it up and I don't get it til Christmas. Obviously the watch will stop since I'm not wearing it. Will it be harmful for the watch to be stopped for 2-3 weeks like that? Or should I wear it a couple of hours a day until Dec 24th and have her wrap it then? :-d

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Watches sit for two to three weeks at the jewellers without running and they're fine. You can safely wrap the watch up, which will make it that much sweeter for wearing come Christmas day.

·
Registered
39,231 Posts
:-( "Not all models available in each country," that's correct.
So I went to my local AD today, and they didn't have that specific model...in fact, she said it wasn't in her catalog all together, and said that maybe not all models were available in each country. I thought this was king d of weird :-s. Anyways, they had a similar model in stock. Tried it on, looked good, so ended up buying the watch :-!. Got 25% off retail off the bat, probably could have gotten a little more if I pushed harder but I'm happy with the purchase.

Just one quick question, this is technically a christmas present from my fiance so she wants to wrap it up and I don't get it til Christmas. Obviously the watch will stop since I'm not wearing it. Will it be harmful for the watch to be stopped for 2-3 weeks like that? Or should I wear it a couple of hours a day until Dec 24th and have her wrap it then? :-d

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! Just a question about the movement, it lists it as Oris 581, base ETA 2688/2671. So why is there two movements listed? Which one is it?:-s

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Just a question about the movement, it lists it as Oris 581, base ETA 2688/2671. So why is there two movements listed? Which one is it?:-s

Oris modifies a base ETA movement, which after their modifications, they call an Oris 581 movement. Many manufacturers start with a base stock movement, and after some finish work, modifications, etc., come up with their own unique movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts