WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some help please!

Just got a new Oris Artelier and it seems quite noisy to me. The only automatics I've had up till now have been dive watches - they have been much quieter than this watch, but then again I know divers have much sturdier/thicker cases. This is my first Oris and my first automatic dress/casual watch so I don't know if this is normal for a) an Oris, b) automatic dress watches in general (being that they have thinner cases and in this case a display back), and/or c) specifically an Oris dress/casual watch.

My concern is that the rotor might be loose - it's much noisier than I'm used to, and the watch has a rattle sound when I tap it. Again, don't know if this is normal for thinner-cased watches.

I took it to 3 local jewelers / watch repair shops just to get their opinion on the sound but I'm not sure how much I trust the local guys in the strip malls around here (one of them was a pretty high-end shop and an AD for Rolex, Breitling, Patek etc. so a bit more confidence with them... a bit). Anyway, 2 of the 3 said it sounds normal to them (including the watch guy at the high-end place) but the third said he thinks the rotor might be loose (of course, feeding in to my exact concern). This watch was purchased at an AD but it was out of state so I can't just pop by there.

Video link to the sound posted below (I included the Breitling at the beginning for comparison). Sound all the way up when watching. Also, keep in mind the watch was right next to the mic so this is more what it sounds like right next to your ear (much louder in the video than on the wrist, but I can still hear it a little when wearing). As a frame of reference, I can't hear the Breitling at all when it's on my wrist. Video isn't rotated, so gravity is on the left reference the shots of the rotor moving.

I've only had it about a week but so far it's keeping good time, the power reserve seems to be as-advertised at around 38 hours, and the rotor seems to move pretty freely, so I'm not sure what to think.

It's the Oris 744 movement based on the SW 220-1 if that's helpful.

Help is much appreciated - thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
68,144 Posts
It doesn’t sound over loud but if it continues to bug you I think an appointment with the AD is called for even though it’s a haul to visit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn’t sound over loud but if it continues to bug you I think an appointment with the AD is called for even though it’s a haul to visit.
Thanks for the reply! It's not really bothering me as in irritating me - I'm just more concerned that something is wrong with the watch. I don't want to keep wearing it and do some real damage if the rotor is loose and scraping around in there.

Does it sound like it's scraping to you? Or is that a normal baring sound in a thinner cased dress/casual watch?

·
Premium Member
68,144 Posts
Thanks for the reply! It's not really bothering me as in irritating me - I'm just more concerned that something is wrong with the watch. I don't want to keep wearing it and do some real damage if the rotor is loose and scraping around in there.

Does it sound like it's scraping to you? Or is that a normal baring sound in a thinner cased dress/casual watch?
Pretty sure it’s normal and the thinner case is just making it sound louder.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
The sound itself is EXACTLY the same as I hear in my Sellita-powered Oris watches. It's hard to tell on computer audio whether the sound is excessively loud or not, because what I'm hearing may not be volume matched. I realize you gave a reference point with the dropping of the dime, but still, it's hard to tell. I MIGHT, MIGHT say that it's a bit louder than what I'm used to with my Oris'. That being said, from what I can see on the video, I don't see any issues per se. The rotor moves the way you'd expect, and it seems fine otherwise. If you want to send it in for a basic maintenance, you can, certainly wouldn't hurt. Personally ? I wouldn't be worried about it, I'd just wear it. But that's just me, and I'm not saying definitively that you don't have a problem - just saying that I personally wouldn't be worried about it as I don't see anything that would be concerning to me.

Reactions: Bwin711

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses all! 🙏

Seems like the consensus is that it sounds normal for this kind of watch (phew!)... You've allayed my concerns. I feel much better about it - and now I can just enjoy the watch! Cheers!
The sound itself is EXACTLY the same as I hear in my Sellita-powered Oris watches. It's hard to tell on computer audio whether the sound is excessively loud or not, because what I'm hearing may not be volume matched. I realize you gave a reference point with the dropping of the dime, but still, it's hard to tell. I MIGHT, MIGHT say that it's a bit louder than what I'm used to with my Oris'. That being said, from what I can see on the video, I don't see any issues per se. The rotor moves the way you'd expect, and it seems fine otherwise. If you want to send it in for a basic maintenance, you can, certainly wouldn't hurt. Personally ? I wouldn't be worried about it, I'd just wear it. But that's just me, and I'm not saying definitively that you don't have a problem - just saying that I personally wouldn't be worried about it as I don't see anything that would be concerning to me.
Excellent, thank you! Yes, I'm inclined to just wear now as well since the consensus seems to be that it sounds normal. I was thinking (hoping) it could be normal and I just wasn't used to a watch being (relatively) louder like that, but wasn't sure without having a frame of reference. Thank you for the insight!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses all! 🙏

Seems like the consensus is that it sounds normal for this kind of watch (phew!)... I'm relieved to hear it, you've allayed my concerns. Now I can just enjoy the watch! Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts