WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a similar post in the Oris forum, but re-posting a version here to hopefully get more eyeballs on to help...

Recently got an Oris Artelier Small Second Pointer Date (Oris 744 movement based on SW220-1) and it seems noisy to me. The rotor is noisy and it has an audible rattle when I tap the case.

I've only had automatic dive watches up till now, which have been much quieter. I'm not sure if that's due to them having a thicker/sturdier case? Is the sound I'm hearing normal for an automatic dress/casual watch since they have thinner cases (and in this case a display back)? Is it normal for an Oris? This being my first of both, I have no frame of reference.

My concern is that the rotor might be loose. Does it sound like it's scraping or is that just a normal baring sound in a thinner cased watch?

Video below for the sound (I included the Breitling at the beginning for comparison of sounds) (sound up). This is right next to the mic so it's more what it's like right by the ear and of course comes across louder than when on the wrist, though I can still hear it a bit while wearing. By contrast, I can't hear the Breitling at all when I'm wearing it.

Took it to 3 local jewelers to get their opinion on the sound, and 2 of 3 said it seems okay/normal - the third said he thinks the rotor might be loose (my exact concern). However, not sure how much I trust the guys in the local strip malls around here. It was purchased at an AD but it was out of state so I can't just pop by there.

Let me know what you think / if you have experience with Oris' and/or auto dress watches - any help is MUCH appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Sounds normal to me. My Glycine (also thinner case, display back) is similar. Thicker cases, crystals, etc on divers damp out the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I have the same watch and it is noisier than many of my other watches. I've had no issues with it. If you would like a good watchmaker to look at it, you can find one through the American Watchmakers Institute. Their website has a search function where you can find reputable folks who work with Swiss movements.
Find a Professional

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same watch and it is noisier than many of my other watches. I've had no issues with it. If you would like a good watchmaker to look at it, you can find one through the American Watchmakers Institute. Their website has a search function where you can find reputable folks who work with Swiss movements.
Find a Professional
Okay, great! I was hoping someone that has the same watch might see this and be able to say if it sounds similar to theirs. Yours rattles a bit like that when tapped too? (again, most my experience has been with dive watches which don't seem to rattle so much, so this could be totally normal in a dress/casual watch like this... I just don't have a point of reference)

Anyway... This helps! Thank you, I appreciate the response!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds normal to me. My Glycine (also thinner case, display back) is similar. Thicker cases, crystals, etc on divers damp out the sound.
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case, but without having had an automatic casual/dress watch before as a reference I wasn't sure.

Does your Glycine have an audible rattle like that as well if you tap on the case? Again, could be totally normal in a thinner case watch but I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case, but without having had an automatic casual/dress watch before as a reference I wasn't sure.

Does your Glycine have an audible rattle like that as well if you tap on the case? Again, could be totally normal in a thinner case watch but I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the response!
Yes, very slight rattle if you tap the crystal. I can also hear it ticking from about 12" from my ear, while my divers I need to put right to my ear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts