WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between these two watches, I'll be honest I only came across these two a few weeks, well I say a few weeks ago I have probably seen them at their release but never took much notice. My last purchase was only a few months so that took up all my time drooling over etc, you know the drill when you're wanting a new watch all you do is focus on that watch until you manage to bag it.

Anyway I'll stop rambling and get to the point, I love the look of the Carl Brashear and the thought of being the first person to own a piece that can age with me with the patina the Bronze case will bring really appeals to me. When i first started taking this seriously a few weeks ago everywhere I looked seemed to be sold out so i just thought i'd missed the boat. Because i loved the look of this CB model i started to look at the similar but more standard new 42mm Sixty Five with the suede strap. I saw this as having a similar design which i like so thought great that will be my next purchase. Now the predicament comes in that by chance I found a few of the CB in stock and available but there is just something not there that is keeping my from going for it and i know i need to do it quickly or they will be out of stock.

As much as everyone loves the watch (including me at this point) do you think it will age well or any bronze watches in general? I know its meant to be vintage inspired but what i mean is the fad at the moment is for these bronze watches but what will it be like in 10 years time will it be a case of "oh look he's got one of those bronze watches on, i remember when they were big 10 years ago" as in do you think they are just fashionable at the moment or will they stand the test of time???

So the CB or the safe bet 42mm Sixty Five ???? cheers

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
I personally would go for the Sixty Five 42mm as I'm not sold on the whole bronze thing and there are a lot of strange looking patinas floating about the interweb on the Brash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love the look of the CB, it is a limited edition and apparently there are a few ppl who think bronze watches are cool.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I was quite keen on the CB until I tried one on, I did not purchase as I was not sure when or if I would wear it. The case material lends it a novelty factor, but when also considering the movement I thought was not worth the asking price.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys, actually only today I have tried on the 42mm Sixty Five (on both bracelet and suede strap) both watches look lovely in the flesh but once tried on not for me so won't be going for the CB either. I think I have finally come to conclusion larger watches aren't for me, don't get me wrong it's not huge but you do notice the diameter (and I have a 7inch wrist) the thinness is very nice though. As for the bracelet I love a tapered one but the sixty five 42mm version is very tapered I think it's 21mm down to 18mm but the 18mm feels more like 16mm it didn't seem like an old Submariner which tapers to 18mm.
For the third time since it's release I tried on again the 40mm sixty five and trying it on along with its bigger brothers have decided this is definitely the next purchase, lovely size and small enough for it not be mega vintage small in the 30's mm ranges, I have always ended up getting something else instead of this in the past, but not this time. Just need to wait until payday :(

Reactions: watchmego3000

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I was going to say go for the Brashear, because if you decided later on that you didn't like it anymore, you could move it along and then get the standard 42mm D-65.
However, you seem to have made up your mind regarding sizing, and that's cool. I would suggest you also have a look at the blue&black dialled 40mm Diver 65. I have seen them up close and, for my 6.5 inch wrist, it's my next watch. Hopefully in less than a month.
I breifly considered the black dial, but because I already have a stable of black dialled dive watches, I found the blue/black version absolutely stunning. Has a slight vintage Tudor dive watch vibe about it. To me, anyway.
Either way, best of luck with your decision.
You really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Law, did you try the 43mm Aquis on while you were there? It's a big watch that wears small. The 38mm Chris Ward C60 is also a very nice watch.
No but I have tried one on before, lovely watch and not too big but put off by the polished links on the bracelet and the rubber strap version the clasp seems huge. At that time I also tried on the depth gauge, wow that's built like a tank, if I could afford to buy watches to wear once in a blue moon that would be one sadly my money needs to spent wisely on pieces I can get a good amount of wear from. If I was a diver I would love that watch simply as a tool watch for diving, its ace. I do think at the moment Oris are putting out some fine watches for professionals in the diving and aviation field and for this I'm a big fan.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to say go for the Brashear, because if you decided later on that you didn't like it anymore, you could move it along and then get the standard 42mm D-65.
However, you seem to have made up your mind regarding sizing, and that's cool. I would suggest you also have a look at the blue&black dialled 40mm Diver 65. I have seen them up close and, for my 6.5 inch wrist, it's my next watch. Hopefully in less than a month.
I breifly considered the black dial, but because I already have a stable of black dialled dive watches, I found the blue/black version absolutely stunning. Has a slight vintage Tudor dive watch vibe about it. To me, anyway.
Either way, best of luck with your decision.
You really can't go wrong.
Cheers fella, I might actually try to track this down before settling for the black dial I haven't seen it before now, only the grey and blue which I don't like the look of but that black and blue might be a nice option.

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
No but I have tried one on before, lovely watch and not too big but put off by the polished links on the bracelet and the rubber strap version the clasp seems huge. At that time I also tried on the depth gauge, wow that's built like a tank, if I could afford to buy watches to wear once in a blue moon that would be one sadly my money needs to spent wisely on pieces I can get a good amount of wear from. If I was a diver I would love that watch simply as a tool watch for diving, its ace. I do think at the moment Oris are putting out some fine watches for professionals in the diving and aviation field and for this I'm a big fan.
The polished links wear surprisingly well (it's the Titan that attracts scratches like mad) but I've seen the Aquis where the bracelet had been fully brushed and it didn't look half bad.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Good choice with the 40mm D65. These days it's safe to go smaller - trends are moving away from bigger watches. Also there is just something amazingly cool about a modestly-sized yet extremely well-built watch, I first experienced with a 41mm Stowa, then a 40.5mm Breitling. Don't forget pics on payday!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I had the regular production of the 65. It's a unique watch in itself but the ordinary ss case did not not add any pizazz. I like the changes a bronze case phases through and adds another layer of uniqueness.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been lucky enough to handle both frequently. And as great as the CB is, I just can't get behind it. The 42mm with black/blue dial is amazing. I prefer the unique dial of the 40 though, which is available in a black/blue combo as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts