WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this may sound dumb but are all the Oris dive watches ISO certified dive watches? Is the Aquis Date for example?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
It would be interesting to know, but I think you'll need to ask Oris directly through their website to get an answer. You'll also need to be specific about whether you're interested in the ISO 281 standard for water resistance (most common) or the the ISO 6425 standard for Diver certification (very rare).

The ISO 6425 testing is a bit more rigorous, but the most important aspect of it is that 100% of watches must be tested and pass in order to receive certification (not just a sampling from the assembly line). In that respect, it's similar to COSC certification. To receive ISO Divers certification, the watch must have a minimum of 100m water resistance and pass all the testing criteria. When a watch has met those standards, the manufacturer is allowed to add "Divers XXXm" to the dial of the watch (where XXXm indicates the depth it is rated for). The watchmaker may choose not to show this on the dial, however, due to aesthetics or some other consideration, so just because it's missing from the dial doesn't necessarily mean it is not and ISO 6425 certified watch. Like I said, though, the number of dive watches that are certified to this standard are few and far between... most dive type watches follow the ISO 281 standard for water resistance (and many probably don't follow any standard at all).

The other factor to consider is that some manufacturers may follow their own testing standard with can meet or exceed the ISO 6425 standard, so in this respect you could call them 'compliant' with the ISO 6425 standard, but because they weren't tested using the ISO protocol they can't be called ISO 6425 certified or say "Divers XXXm" on the dial.

Here's a good ARTICLE about the ISO standards.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over testing standards, though. The reality is that all you really need is a 100m watch that you have tested periodically to ensure the water resistance is maintained, since that's the key thing to be concerned with. 100m is 2-3 times deeper than the vast majority of recreational divers will ever go, and it is certainly far more than you need for a day-to-day watch. In fact, you don't even need a screw down crown to have reliable WR at that depth (I use a cheap 100m Seiko 5 with press-in crown for diving, and have never had an issue with it either in the ocean or the hot tub). The important thing is that if you're submersing it frequently through diving or swimming, have the WR tested periodically and replace the gaskets and o-rings when serviced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It would be interesting to know...
Thanks Brent for your thoughtful and lengthy reply. I have read that article actually, it's one of the reasons I got interested in finding out whether they are 6425 compliant. And I have considered all of your points. I'll reply to it below.

While all Oris dive watches are tested to ISO 281 I'm fairly certain that none of them meet ISO 6425.
Thanks Sticky.

So I went to the store that retails Oris and had a good experience with the owner. I think I'm pretty sure which model I'm going to buy when I've totally removed the others as options, but I got as much info as I could along the way. He didn't know too much on ISO 6425 himself but I snagged one of the brochures and here's what the Diver section says:

"Oris diver's watches...meet all the accepted category criteria, such as those for water-resistance and legibility...are real instruments made to work in real underwater situations...designed in partnership with expert divers..."

The usual pitch that's probably found on the website and such, and vague as hell. The models it includes in this 'dive' category are:

- All PDs, of course
- Depth Gauge
- Regulateur
- Aquis Chrono
- Aquis Date!!

Now, I suspect the newer ones would be in there too but this is the 2014/15 catalogue and the current LE's aren't in there. It looks, however, like they are lumping them all together (PD and Aquis range) as dive watches.

I realize it's splitting hairs to say that a 6425 compliant watch is the only one you can call a Diver's watch but still, if it costs money and time to test each watch individually, why is it not said in the marketing copy of the ones that ARE vs the ones that AREN'T compliant? I mean, for some (1% of) folk, it's important. For the rest, as long as they can swim with it and it can resist the odd bash (anti-shock and anti-mag are part of ISO 6425) then they are good.

I'm fairly sure a ProDiver is compliant (if any of them are, it would be those) and an Aquis Date isn't.

Not sure if this sounds ranty but I'm not intending it to be. Am I mad in thinking that there would be an advantage for them to advertise the watches that are compliant. It would make me think my $3000 (or whatever) purchase is pretty safe no matter what I put it through.

EDIT: I deleted my last sentence because it sounded ridiculous. Brent, I really like the Depth Gauge...I'll take your advice and not think about it too much :)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
60,750 Posts
Dafty, I've a feeling that Oris divers are compliant to ISO 6425 but Oris took the decision not to have them certified. You can bet that if they were ISO 6425 certified Oris would make a big deal of it. If you are hankering after the DG then go for it as it's a brilliant watch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dafty, I've a feeling that Oris divers are compliant to ISO 6425 but Oris took the decision not to have them certified. You can bet that if they were ISO 6425 certified Oris would make a big deal of it. If you are hankering after the DG then go for it as it's a brilliant watch.
Ha, Dafty is more appropriate for me...the missus would agree with you ;-)

Thanks, I probably will get the DG. I thought it would be too chunky, and that I could rule it out but when I tried it on it was perfect. I like some weight so it gives me that (titanium isn't for me I don't think).

My only issue is I was going to get something less expensive (like Aquis Date) and save for my grail (Ball DQ or IWC AT 2000) but the Oris DG is kind of up with them money wise (ok not with the AT 2000, but still)

The Oris DG is so damn nice looking though. Probably will get it and save for a longer time for the Ball or IWC. Poor little me, right! pfffffft!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the ISO certification. If it was that important, you would think Rolex Submariner/Deepsea would have been certified. Does Omega have ISO certified watch? Of course, you still need to have the water pressure test every year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the user-name mate - my bad. Blame it on my old eyes that don't see as well as they used to.
No it was funny mate, nothing to apologize for.

Good points dragon. I was more intrigued than anything. It hikes the price anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts