WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have to say I like that curved 'day' window in sketch 7 and your hand drawns are a bit of a relief, if I'm honest, from all the moodily lit, immaculately rendered watch-.... type design illustrations you usually see here. :-d Tip o' the Guvnah's hat to you Gavin. Having said I'll confess my roaring hypocrisy because I'm at this moment trying to find a bit of basic rendering freeware that will give my CADs a moodily lit, immaculately rendered etc. etc. :roll:

Nice one Gavin, I'm intrigued by the triangular 'notch' feature in pic1 though where the strap meets case? Wassat?

Guv :-!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I really like your renderings done with colored pencil too. Too bad Oris won't be using them, as they have painted themselves into such a corner with their designs they could really use some fresh air.

A word or two about colored pencils. you're lucky in the UK in having Berol, which is made in the UK and which I considered the best colored pencil around. One thing is that you are using a drawing notebook with cold pressed paper, which is better adapted to wet mediums. What you want is hot pressed, with less teeth to the paper. Also, once you've laid your color down, burnish it with the white pencil and put another layer or two of color on. Once you get the trick of it down, you can do photo realistic renderings, and you don't need one of those big glass eyes starting at you and trying to run drawing programs. You can do it all by hand and do it better.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Awesome sketches. I've had a couple ideas in my head lately and wanting to get them on paper. I've never sketched a watch though, so I've procrastinated breaking out the pencils. Just did a search around here for sketches to get my wheels moving. Hopefully this helps me get on it!

Which reminds me...I need to go buy some circle templates, not sure where my old ones went after I moved...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts