WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone either a) removed the bezel insert from a diver 65 and b) force bleached the bezel insert, to make a 'ghost' bezel? Love the look of the hodinkee version so thinking of bleaching the black bezel insert on mine.

·
Premium Member
61,773 Posts
Bearing in mind the cost of the 65 and the fact that only Oris will fit a new bezel if things went wrong I would leave well alone.

Doesn’t the 65 use A ceramic bezel?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi. No and No, but I think I have read here at some point the the 65’s bezel is some how more permanently attached, than a typical dive bezel. Meaning the old “case knife in between and case and bezel pry-up” wont work, that the bezel insert must be removed while the bezel assembly stays on the watchl, which can often times lead to destroying or maiming the insert (assuming one has a replacement insert already).
That being said I know Steinhart watches are the same way with their bezels (at least they used to be) but those industrious WIS over in their Forum have been prying off their bezels and pitching them into bleach for years. Maybe check over there to see if they have a good method down now for removing the bezel insert with destroying it, if this forum does not yield you any good options.
Good luck, ill be rooting for you! Take your time and dont do it if you know you need different tools to be successful. Post pictures either way though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was wondering the same, I don't have the watch yet looking to get one used.

If you removed the bezel assembly you will see if you can remove the bezel insert from the back. If it is difficult to remove the bezel insert as some are integrated/glued with the bezel then don’t attempt to remove it as you will damage the insert, so your second option is to submerge the full bezel assembly in bleach and it should work, done it many times on other brands of watches with success.

Make sure to keep watch of the bezel in the bleach as some bezels need 5mins to change color while other take 20mins as each manufacture uses different printings and coatings, make sure to rinse the bezel under the tap with plenty of water to stop the bleach from continuing to discolor the bezel.

Good luck and let me know the result and process you choose to go with.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks and no it's an aluminum bezel insert.
Are you SURE about this ? I have always been under the impression that the bezel is ceramic....

Domed Sapphire Crystal, Ceramic Bezel, And A Stunning Crown
The Divers Sixty-Five is a historic watch with over 40 years of watchmaking history and heritage. Oris has taken the legacy of the watch and added the best advances of watchmaking into it. The Oris Divers Sixty-Five features a domed sapphire crystal, which gives the watch a vintage look, yet making it much better than the original piece which featured mineral glass. It has a unidirectional scratch-resistant ceramic bezel with SuperLuminova, which marks the bezel. The ceramic in the bezel prevents scratches while the knurling helps with the grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had the bezel off line and removed the insert. You can push it out easily from the back once you hear it up with a hair dryer. It's glued in, so heating the glue softens it enough to get it out. Keeping in mind that the insert is aluminum and can bend so use gentle even pressure. To put it back in get your self some GS hypo cement. Take not of the bezel pip position before you remove it so when you put it back in it lines up properly with the markings on the dial. I took the bezel/insert to polish the bronze after I force patina'd mine and wasn't happy with the result. Looks good as new!

·
Registered
928 Posts
you got it off, you must post pictures! get your post count up!

Did you get the whole bezel off or did you just remove the insert while the bezel was still on the watch?

·
Registered
9 Posts
you got it off, you must post pictures! get your post count up!

Did you get the whole bezel off or did you just remove the insert while the bezel was still on the watch?
I did, but I didn't take any photos. I had the entire bezel off. I would recommend that if you want to get the insert out or you will do some damage. It's fairly easy to remove, I was able to do it with my bare hands/fingernails. The trick is to pull up while rotating the bezel and it just pops off. Don't use a knife or anything like some people suggest or you will scar the watch.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts