WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 4 1/2 years ago I bought an Oris Divers Date as a 40th birthday present to myself. I had always wanted a good quality diver and intended to keep the watch for the rest of my life. And after a lot of research I settled on the Oris. It had great online reviews and in reality looked great and felt like a quality piece. The bracelet in particular appeared very high quality and solid.

However, in just under 2 years it stopped. This was despite me keeping it on a winder when I wasn't wearing it. It was sent back to Oris in Melbourne (I'm in Sydney) and repaired under warranty. I was a little disappointed at this point but figured it should mow last for several years. After all Oris stated it had been given a full service.

How wrong I was.

In the last 2 years the bracelet fell apart 3 times (yes, that bracelet I thought was so solid, and has such good reviews!). I'm not talking about the screws coming loose either. It was the pins in the upper bracelet that came out.

The first time I noticed it and pushed them back together. The second time the watch almost fell down the toilet!. The third time, about 2 months ago, I did not notice it had happened until I got off the train I was on. The watch was caught in my cuff. Unfortunately, as the train pulled away, I realised one of the links was missing, and probably on the train disappearing into the tunnel!

I was obviously upset by this. I couldn't get over the though (and still can't) that this watch is supposed to be used for diving (I never did). Imagine if the bracelet came apart while diving. The watch would disappear into the depths!

Anyway, I wrote a strongly worded email to Oris expressing my dismay with their product. I will admit I got a quick reply. I was asked to send it to them in Melbourne and they would assess it. About 2 weeks later I got their response.

A $495 repair bill!!!!

They wanted to charge me $50 for the lost link and $20 to fit it! In addition they said the watch had been assessed. There was moisture inside, the hands were beginning to corrode and powdery metal filings collecting on gears in the movement (as for the moisture, I never dived with it and over its whole life swam with it maybe 10 times!). This was only 2 years after the previous service!! (I had also noticed the watch was beginning to lose its power reserve). AND if I didn't go ahead with these repairs, they would charge me $25 for looking at it!!! Plus $20 postage to send it back to me.

Needless to say I sent a strongly worded email back

After a little to and fro, they agreed to fit the link and only charge me $20 for the fitting. I refused the extensive repairs they wanted to carry out and they agreed not to charge me the inspection fee (they had to agree that it hadn't been mentioned in any of their correspondence with me). So I ended up paying about $44 (inc GST) for the new link.

Even after this their customer service rep insisted I must have banged the bracelet! It wasn't. Other than the very few swims mentioned above, it never went above and beyond desk diving duties.

After this I was so disappointed with the watch I sold it on ebay. I couldn't bear to look at it any longer knowing it was likely to cost me up to $400 - $500 every 2 years just to do its job, not to mention the fact it could fall off my wrist at any moment!

This is NOT a quality product

I'm now trying to decide if it's worth buying another luxury watch. I'm VERY wary of Sellita movements now and even ETA (also being Swiss) is a worry. Good old Japanese quality/durability is very appealing, I just don't really like the styling of the Seiko, Orient etc divers. Then there's Christopher Ward's 60/60 warranty (5 yr movement warranty) albeit another Sellita.

The Oris was supposed to be a keepsake, now its just a bad memory.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience sir. I know the dread of having to contact a manufacturer with that sinking feeling that they'll just write your story off and talk as if they're on autopilot. Reading your story though it sounded like a lot of your initial problems were with the bracelet and not the movement as you mentioned toward the end. I'm not sure what to say about the moisture intrusion that got into the case though. I think what happened to you is what's called, technically speaking, "a dud". Anyway, good luck on your next purchase!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I think there was only one problem with your Oris and that problem was a factory defect. It could be Oris, Rolex, Seiko or Casio. All brands has a certain percentage of factory defects.

·
Premium Member
60,641 Posts
Sorry to hear you tale of woe especially since Oris normally turn such a good product out. I have found the Sellita movements to be very good and so would recommend the Chris Ward C60 to anyone. Just a question. Was your DD blue by any chance? Oris had a bit of an issue with the blue ones at one point that caused the hands to corrode and the dials to fade.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I've been thinking of buying an Oris. Thanks for your post, those plans are shot.

I am often surprised how some of these "high end" companies think it is better to bend over a client for service and they don't realize the damage they do to their reputation.

Reactions: Vlance

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am often surprised how some of these "high end" companies think it is better to bend over a client for service and they don't realize the damage they do to their reputation.
I'm often surprised when hear something like this. How can you judge the company (and situation) when you don't know the whole truth. Yes, the client told his story (his version of what was happening), but no one (sometimes, including the client) really knows what was in real. Maybe his child or someone else just dropped the watch, maybe he made something to his watch by mistake, etc. Whenever a client damage his watch he always says it's not his fault, he did nothing wrong. I know that for sure, because I own my small company (software development) and I heard a lot of similar stories ("I did nothing and the program just killed my PC").

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I used to own a blue TT1.

The old TT1 gave me mixed feelings. Never had the watch die on me, but the lack of AR made the time hard to read at times. The aluminium bezel also scratched very easily.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to hear also. I had a similar experience with a seiko orange monster. Had very high expectations and it had condensation first time taking in the water. After having it fixed. A year later it died. Ended up selling for parts. In both our cases, just a unlucky case of getting a bad apple. My aquis has been good for 3 years. I have alot of confidence in oris and seiko.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I always find it funny how customer service works these days. We'll just blame the customer and bend them over backwards for repair bills. Ridiculous!!!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm often surprised when hear something like this. How can you judge the company (and situation) when you don't know the whole truth. Yes, the client told his story (his version of what was happening), but no one (sometimes, including the client) really knows what was in real. Maybe his child or someone else just dropped the watch, maybe he made something to his watch by mistake, etc. Whenever a client damage his watch he always says it's not his fault, he did nothing wrong. I know that for sure, because I own my small company (software development) and I heard a lot of similar stories ("I did nothing and the program just killed my PC").
When Oris comes here and tells their side of the story, your argument will hold some weight.

But, as I've seen here and in other forums, most watch companies don't even take the trouble to monitor their online reputation.

As for your notion that the customer isn't always right, 8 times in 10, when I have a problem with a product, the company suddenly doesn't want to know you anymore.

And so, I shop where I don't have this problem and is a reason why Amazon is so successful of late.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That sucks! Hopefully its a one-off. They're a young company, but they seem to make quality products. Hopefully your experience helped them figure out where their QC is lacking.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
My own Oris Sixty-five Blue experience has been very good so far. I am very impressed with the quality of product they produce at the price level they are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
227 Posts
Christopher Ward's 60/60 warranty may sound wonderful, but YMMV. My own personal experience has been absolutely horrible.
I must now take it back. It was caused by some miscommunication. Once it's cleared up, the CW customer service did the right thing. Now I'd say, they stood behind their 60/60 promise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would rather say that Rue du Rhone is a young watch company (or at least Raymond Weil). But, Oris had very rich history. Back in the days it was one of the largest watch companies in whole world. You can't say that Oris doesn't have enough experience in any field of watch making or client servising. Even Rolex is a younger company than an Oris! :)
Total newbie here, but isn't that still young for a watch company?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I own a very few oris watches
Oris aquis
Oris aquis LE carlos ciste chronograph
Oris moonphase
Oris depth gauge
All of them were involved in diving and some of them are almost 5 years in my posesion
Never had any problems even at all
This must be 1 of 1.000 situations but newer the less they should change your bracelet free of charge
You should write to orus directly not to AD

1 - 20 of 34 Posts