WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hoping I can get some thoughts and possibly some photos of the 36mm Oris Sixty-Five.

I am considering the reference 01 733 7747 4354-07 8 17 18. Black with the bronze edge on the bezel with a bracelet.

Unfortunately I only have one Oris AD close by (in a small jewelry store) so their stock isn’t very much. But to my surprise I saw they had a 40mm green in the window so I decided to try it on. I think the 40mm is pushing the limits of my wrist size.

Does anyone have a 36mm Sixty-Five and willing to share their experience? I am hesitant on the lug size at 17mm, as it may look weird on a nato, and would have to squish a 18mm leather straps onto it. Also 17mm bracelet to me seems really thin.

Not looking at buying right now. Heading to the USA over Easter and am considering getting a watch if I can find one I love in Duty Free. This watch just seems to be a decent value for money, and looks spectacular!

I currently have a Rolex OP36 and I have come to love and appreciate the size as my everyday. I had a Tudor BB ETA red and found it so large I sold it. So the 36mm of the Sixty-five seems really appealing.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71,179 Posts
I’ve got the 40mm green and love it but I can see why you are interested in the 36mm and why you’re a little unsure of it. If you’re travelling then see if you can try on on to gain a better idea how it looks on your wrist.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I’ve got the 40mm green and love it but I can see why you are interested in the 36mm and why you’re a little unsure of it. If you’re travelling then see if you can try on on to gain a better idea how it looks on your wrist.
...would you mind posting a shot of you green Divers 65...in the market and would love to see a good shot of a 40mm in green shot in daylight especially if on a leather strap. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the 40mm Deauville blue, which I adore. I love the original vintage dial, unchanged from the ‘65 version. I only wish it were available in a 36mm size!! The trend is definitely towards smaller watches again, so maybe there’s hope for me. But either way, this case design, the specs, the perfect vintage vibe, makes the 65 a modern classic, and I think the 36mm is the perfect size to pack this punch!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have a 6 3/4 inch wrist and hesitated a bit between the 65 and the big crown pointer date. finally opted for latter one in 36mm bronze. fits like a charm.

i was worried about the 17mm strap too before getting it but still looks perfectly fine in the end.
finding a nato strap is a challenge though

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
I think the 40mm looks great in that pic! I love the smaller watches myself, had a Rolex Explorer 1 36mm, and a couple of OP34, which I thought fit really well. And I love watches of all sizes. I have a Divers 65 40mm, and think it's the best size. For some reason, when I tried on a couple of ORIS 36mm models they just didn't work, and could never figure out why, maybe the straps taper too much? Just my thoughts, though, for a guy who has a 7.25in wrist. But looking at the photo, I would say stick with 40mm.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are someone who likes to swap the strap frequently, 17mm lug width might feel a bit inconvenient for you. If not, it does wear very nicely on a slimmer wrist. I used to have an OP36 and tried on the 36mm diver 65 at a boutique before and it felt so good!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you can wear the 40mm. These pics always make the watch seem bigger than it really is. I bet in real life it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reviving this thread a few months later, any decision yet? I am trying to decide between a Divers Sixty-five and a Sinn 556 A as my next watch. I'm looking for a dressy sports watch as I recently got rid of my Tudor Black Bay 36 (huge regret, but that's another story).

I heard the Sinn scratches easily and think that the Oris may be similar, but it's hard to tell how it was finished. My BB easily got rid of scratches with a scotch brite pad.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never seen one in person, but I'll add my two cents. In my experience smaller divers look and wear a lot smaller than smaller watches of other types. My GF has the 38 mm SKX, and though I don't have big wrists (~6.75 in.), I find that the 42.5 mm Seikos (SKX, Mini Turtle) wear much better on me. Hers just looks undersized on me, especially when you step a few feet away. This leads me to think that the 36 mm Divers 65 would wear TINY. And when I talked to an Oris AD recently, he told me that he didn't even stock them because they just seemed too small for many folks to be interested in these days.

OP, I'd say--since you seem willing to buy Rolex and Tudor--you should try a Black Bay 58. It wore smaller than the 40 mm Divers 65, and it is a way better watch, with a similar 60s aesthetic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my experience smaller divers look and wear a lot smaller than smaller watches of other types.
Agreed, the dive bezel shrinks the dial and gives it a smaller feel compared to dress watches that is basically all dial. I'm also interested in the 36mm size and wish the green dial came in this size, but the bronze bezel with the black dial looks really cool. I have a 6.75" and have the Christiopher Ward Trident Mk2.5 in 38mm and always wished it was a tad smaller or lighter with the bracelet, this Oris in 36mm looks to be the perfect sweet spot for me. OP if you did end up getting it I would love to see a wrist shot. Similar 40mm watches looked the same on my wrist compared to your shots, where the lugs are slightly overhanging my wrist. Understandably the pictures do make the watches wear bigger.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't own the 36mm Diver 65, but for people with smaller wrists who are on the fence about the 36mm or the 40mm, I don't blame you. Oris left a really large gap between those sizes instead of opting for a sweet-spot around 38mm-39mm, directly between the 42mm and 36mm sizes. I own the 40mm along with a 6.5 inch wrist and the 40 feels slightly too large on me (see pic). When you couple the narrow bezel/wide dial with the fact that, in many D65 models, the bezel and dial don't contrast each other much, the 40mm can wear like a 41-42mm. From photos I've seen online, these same factors could help the 36mm appear bigger than expected, especially if paired with the steel bracelet. I've found wearing a steel bracelet on my 36mm Marathon GSAR adds a bit of heft and increases the wrist-presence, but it's hard to know if that will help here. Anyone have shots of the 36mm on a bracelet? OrisD6540mm.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
AndWag, the 40mm looks great on your wrist in the rubber strap. I've tried 39-40mm divers in the past and have decided that it's just not for me. After a while your eyes and wrists do get used to the larger size, but when I strap a similar 36-37mm watch, I'm always happier and it fits more comfortably. Another thing that I think I will like even more is that the bracelet on the 36 tapers quiet a bit to the clasp, which I think makes it even lighter and maybe even more comfortable in the long haul.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here are pictures of the 36mm and the 40mm on my 6 3/8 inch wrist.

When I tried on the 36mm, I immediately thought it looked small, but I had been trying on Grand Seikos before I tried on the Oris. Those GS's were beautiful, but they sure are chunky.

Anyway, after the Oris settled in, I thought it was a good size for my wrist. The white date window at the 3 kills it for me though.

The 40mm was too big. It looks comical in this pic, but I took that photo too close to my wrist. But believer me, it's too big. It's a beautiful watch though. The dial is more dark navy blue than black. With the bronze, it looks spectacular.

Since then, I've acquired a BB36 and a Clean Ocean (39.5 mm). I really like the size of the BB36. I like the Clean Ocean, too, but sometimes I think it is a touch too large. Those thoughts pass quickly though. I got the watch for summertime, so it's okay if it's a little large.

Enough rambling....here are the Oris 36mm and 40mm.

20190323_135532_crop.jpg

20180714_112134_crop.jpg

·
Registered
216 Posts

When I tried on the 36mm, I immediately thought it looked small, but I had been trying on Grand Seikos before I tried on the Oris. Those GS's were beautiful, but they sure are chunky.

Anyway, after the Oris settled in, I thought it was a good size for my wrist. The white date window at the 3 kills it for me though.

The 40mm was too big. It looks comical in this pic, but I took that photo too close to my wrist. But believer me, it's too big. It's a beautiful watch though. The dial is more dark navy blue than black. With the bronze, it looks spectacular.

Since then, I've acquired a BB36 and a Clean Ocean (39.5 mm). I really like the size of the BB36. I like the Clean Ocean, too, but sometimes I think it is a touch too large. Those thoughts pass quickly though. I got the watch for summertime, so it's okay if it's a little large.

Enough rambling....here are the Oris 36mm and 40mm.
I think the straight lugs make it a bit difficult to wear, for us smaller wristed guys. 48 mm lug to lug isn't huge, but the lugs seem straight and long. I have the same wrist size as you, flatter on the top, and I wear a 43.5 mm Aquis GMT. It's a bigger watch for sure, but the lugs are stubby and curved, so the watch actually sits on my wrist pretty well and don't overhang the sides. I haven't tried a 40 mm Divers yet, but I'm guessing I'll have a difficult time wearing it.

Reactions: AndWag

·
Registered
122 Posts

I never get why the grand seikos are so huge, for such classical watches and understated designs that focuses on micro details, the Snowflake is 41mm x12.5mm thick, which is insanely big in my mind for a 'dress watch' or even dress sports watch.

I agree on the 36mm the white date window, I wonder why they went this direction but reverted to the black date window on the 40mm, it just blends in way better on the blackish/navy dial. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the straight lugs make it a bit difficult to wear, for us smaller wristed guys. 48 mm lug to lug isn't huge, but the lugs seem straight and long. I have the same wrist size as you, flatter on the top, and I wear a 43.5 mm Aquis GMT. It's a bigger watch for sure, but the lugs are stubby and curved, so the watch actually sits on my wrist pretty well and don't overhang the sides. I haven't tried a 40 mm Divers yet, but I'm guessing I'll have a difficult time wearing it.
In my opinion, if you're around 6.5" you can probably wear the 40mm, but barely. The key is to have a flatter wrist. My wrist is about 54mm across and I can barely pull it off, as you can see in my last post on this thread. This is the largest-wearing 40mm I've ever tried on, and I agree, those flat lugs don't help. The only reason I'm testing the limits of my wrist with the 40 is the symmetry of the dial with the date at the 6 looks better to me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For context, I have 6.25” wrists and the 40mm is hands down my favorite watch. I personally think it wears great on my small wrists. And the bracelet is fantastic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For context, I have 6.25” wrists and the 40mm is hands down my favorite watch. I personally think it wears great on my small wrists. And the bracelet is fantastic.

*picture snip!*
That looks good. Thanks for sharing the pics. The endlinks look good, just merges so nicely into the case. I wish they would come out with a GMT version of the Divers 65!

Reactions: recapt
1 - 20 of 24 Posts