WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I think that, when it comes to Oris, the beauty shots don't always tell the story. For example, the Source of Life dial looked very different in its beauty shots than it does in person.

My honest assessment? This dial seems to be a cross (in color) between the Clipperton and the Source of Life, but what will the color ultimately be IRL? I'm also curious what color the bezel will ultimately turn out to be. The calendar complication is the same as in the SOL, which I find to be a bit small and hard to read, and would've preferred instead the standard 6 o'clock aperture. The small seconds looks very out of place for a diver, but I suppose that's just me. Bracelet looks to be the same old one that requires the specialty tri-wing tool you can only get from Oris for $70; that continues to be an annoyance.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that, when it comes to Oris, the beauty shots don't always tell the story. For example, the Source of Life dial looked very different in its beauty shots than it does in person.

My honest assessment? This dial seems to be a cross (in color) between the Clipperton and the Source of Life, but what will the color ultimately be IRL? I'm also curious what color the bezel will ultimately turn out to be. The calendar complication is the same as in the SOL, which I find to be a bit small and hard to read, and would've preferred instead the standard 6 o'clock aperture. The small seconds looks very out of place for a diver, but I suppose that's just me. Bracelet looks to be the same old one that requires the specialty tri-wing tool you can only get from Oris for $70; that continues to be an annoyance.

Regards,
Alysandir

Couldn't have said it any better.

The colors of the dial and bezel look awesome on those photos, and that's where it ends for me. When I first saw the Source of Life in the media, I was in love. In reality it's just a grey tone and very underwhelming. I wouldn't be surprised if we will see this issue yet again.

I won't be able to read the date complication at all, and I won't walk around with reading glasses just so I can make it out.

I wish we could have a larger Hammerhead with this dial and this bezel. Oris has this dial in another model, but its tiny. They kinda keep missing the sweet spot all the time.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Regards,
Alysandir
“Tri-wing” tool? Is that something new? My Oris Carlos Coste has standard slotted screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts

Regards,
Alysandir
Well said on beauty vs real life color. However, my initial reaction to this one and the clean the ocean Arqis novelties is that they are nice. I didn't know that about the specialty tool. Thanks for sharing that. I haven't owned an Oris for a while. I like that gradient Clipperton dial.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
“Tri-wing” tool? Is that something new? My Oris Carlos Coste has standard slotted screws.
Well said on beauty vs real life color. However, my initial reaction to this one and the clean the ocean Arqis novelties is that they are nice. I didn't know that about the specialty tool. Thanks for sharing that. I haven't owned an Oris for a while. I like that gradient Clipperton dial.
Both my SOL and my Staghorn have this set up; the bar that connects the bracelet to the wath head is a Chicago-screw-like setup where the driver head is this shallow, tri-wing variety that none of my tri-wing bits would fit. You end up having to purchase the tool from Oris for a cool $70.

Now, to be fair, this is only necessary if you want to swap it between bracelet and strap; both the Staghorn and SOL come with both options in the box. But that's what's part of the annoyance: they give you two options, but neglect to give you the tool necessary to actually swap between them. The fact that they made it proprietary such that you can only get the proper tool through them is just rubbing salt in the wound. Even my Oris dealer didn't have a tool to do a strap change for me and had to order one in. I'd just as soon have had them put the tool in the box by default and charge me an extra $70 via MSRP.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
125 Posts
Both my SOL and my Staghorn have this set up; the bar that connects the bracelet to the wath head is a Chicago-screw-like setup where the driver head is this shallow, tri-wing variety that none of my tri-wing bits would fit. You end up having to purchase the tool from Oris for a cool $70.

Now, to be fair, this is only necessary if you want to swap it between bracelet and strap; both the Staghorn and SOL come with both options in the box. But that's what's part of the annoyance: they give you two options, but neglect to give you the tool necessary to actually swap between them. The fact that they made it proprietary such that you can only get the proper tool through them is just rubbing salt in the wound. Even my Oris dealer didn't have a tool to do a strap change for me and had to order one in. I'd just as soon have had them put the tool in the box by default and charge me an extra $70 via MSRP.

Regards,
Alysandir
Thanks. Well...that’s disappointing. I agree, if they are including both strap and bracelet with the watch, the tool should be included if it’s proprietary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,831 Posts

Regards,
Alysandir
I am not sure about the SOL (never saw one in the metal), but the Clipperton was just as vibrant as the pics and I still kind of wonder if I shouldve purchased it rather than my current model. I feel like people might feel let down by their standard model deep blue. I like it, but it primarily appears black unless you are in the right light, but then again the photos don't over sell it too much.
Also, I can see how the bracelet tool would be annoying, especially being gouged for $70. Luckily I live right by my AD, so I'd just run it to him, although that is inconvenient.
I don't ever plan on taking it off the bracelet, so it doesn't bother me at all to be honest. I think what would annoy me far more is the integrated bracelet design overall, but then again if I wanted to throw on different straps, I would never buy an Aquis.

Reactions: Imbiton

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I am not sure about the SOL (never saw one in the metal)
The SOL greatly depends on the light. Under cool light, like LED or florescent lighting, the dial appears a rather pedestrian steel blue. Under warm light, like sunlight, the teal overtones come out. But I have yet to encounter a light source that makes the dial match the vibrant tones of the original beauty shots, which makes me question whether they were digitally sweetened, or did the final product get altered from the prototype?

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a source of life and I agree the color doesn't pop quite like the renders did but ultimately I think it worked out for the better in that the color is a bit more subdued. It is very hard to capture in pictures but under the right light, it gets very close to the renders. I am thinking of swapping the SOL for this but in the 39mm model. Owning both is probably pretty close to redundant although the grey bezel on the SOL is a nice touch that let's the watch be a bit more wearable. If anyone wants a source of life for a good price, PM me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another SOL owner here and agree with all the above. I also have the Clipperton edition, so I will probably give the GBR III a miss as it is like a cross between these two watches. I'm not that keen on the small second hand, would much rather see a full size version and admire the sweep! I'll probably pick up a third aquis - the GMT edition looks pretty sweet to me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts