WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has seen this watch knows it's no softie. A great looking watch from a good marque.

I am thinking of adding a regulator to my collection. I have some questions for anyone who owns a Regulator watch. [that is one that has the hours and seconds in sub-dials and the minutes as the only center sweep hand ]

1. IS A REGULATOR MORE ACCURATE THAN A CONVENTIONAL hours/minutes on center axis watch?

I read somewhere that in the 'old days', Regulators (in clocks) where used to 'regulate' the time of other clocks.

2. Any Meistertaucher owners care to comment favorably/unfavorably on their watch using the following using the following scoring:

5 excellent;
4 very good;
3 good;
2 could be better;
1 fughgettaboutit.

• RELIABILITY
  • ACCURACY
  • TOUGHNESS (incl water resistance)
  • WEARER COMFORT (bracelet & strap)
  • LUME
  • VALUE FOR MONEY
Your responses will be greatly appreciated.:thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
STEVIE said:
Anyone who has seen this watch knows it's no softie. A great looking watch from a good marque.

I am thinking of adding a regulator to my collection. I have some questions for anyone who owns a Regulator watch. [that is one that has the hours and seconds in sub-dials and the minutes as the only center sweep hand ]

1. IS A REGULATOR MORE ACCURATE THAN A CONVENTIONAL hours/minutes on center axis watch?

I read somewhere that in the 'old days', Regulators (in clocks) where used to 'regulate' the time of other clocks.

2. Any Meistertaucher owners care to comment favorably/unfavorably on their watch using the following using the following scoring:

5 excellent;
4 very good;
3 good;
2 could be better;
1 fughgettaboutit.

• RELIABILITY
  • ACCURACY
  • TOUGHNESS (incl water resistance)
  • WEARER COMFORT (bracelet & strap)
  • LUME
  • VALUE FOR MONEY
Your responses will be greatly appreciated.:thanks
Stevie,

First question. I'm not sure, but I think I've read somewhere that the layout of the hands was easy to read from great distance. As you can imaging, in the early day, a lot of watchmakers adjusted there watches by hand (in stead of computer nowadays). In the shop there was a large Regulator watch hanging on one side of the shop. All the watchmakers could easilly read the hands an adjust there watches. Also the big watches could be made very carefully and adjusted exactly..

Answering your second question, I think this watch is between 4 & 5, thus between excellent and very good.

This watch comes in a box, complete with a small underwater torch, both rubber and bracelet (rubber installed), tools for interchanging the different straps, and a map of switserland, with al lot of moutain lakes for diving. There is a detailed writing of those different dive sites. I know, this is only nice to have, unless you live in Switserland and can go to those dive sites. Also a booklet, with a detailed information about the watch and a declaration of the german testing facility of this watch. Then there's the ISO 2281 notification on the dial. ISO 2281 is not the diving standard of watches, which is ISO 6425 (I believe). I've asked ORIS obout it, and this is watch they said:

During the development of this watch we had worked very close to a testing laboratory in La Chaux-de-Fonds (Chronofiable SA).

Company Chronofiable advised us that the testing with ISO 2281 is suffice for the new divers watch. The testing ISO 2281 is extensive.

Please find enclosed the details of the testing procedure:

Water resistant test with air, pressure 0,5 to 2 bar Condensation test Water resistant test in water, in a depth of 10cm for 1 hour Water resistant test in water for the moving parts (crown and valve) with a force of 5N in a depth of 10cm for 5 minutes Water resistant test with different temperatures (40°C, 20°C, 40°C, each 5 minutes, in a depth of 10cm under water) Water resistant test under water with 100 bar for 10minutes

Beside all these test we had tested the watch in Germany by the Navy (Wehrtechnische Dienststelle für Schiffe und Marinewaffen, WTD 71 Eckernförde). In there report no. WTD 71-530-010/2003 they had tested the watch in a depth of 100 bar for 1 hour.

All tests are positive, all watches had been water resistant.

We had also tested a few watches with the ISO 6425 (maximum pressure 125 bar for 2 hours). But this test is not represented for all watches, that we could use the ISO 6425 on the dial. The reason is that we did not test each watch with the ISO 6425, only a few pieces.

The last items is of course the 1/4th increase in pressure of seawater compared to fresh water.

It's not totally excellent, because I allready encountered problems with the screw crown after 2 hours of purchasing. Of course this was fixed without a cost. I believe this was one off, because it happend not again. It also could come from the juwelery, because he screwed down the crown with great force, just before I bhougt it (didn't check its function very carefully). This is also a feature to take care of, when buying titanium watches, the material is better seawater resistant, but through it's increase in hardness, the thread is easilly damaged than stainless steel (316L (most watches) or 904L (Rolex)).

It's very reliable, didn't test the accuracy (as with all of my watches, if they stop, I will set the time according to my Citizen radio controlled skyhawk lookalike (no GMT).

Thoughness noting to complain about (or it should be the thin divers extention of the bracelet, but it never failed me so far).

Waterresistant is no issue, just forget about the watch and dive to depths the watch can cope with, even beyond where you don't. The crystal is 4.7mm thick, anti reflective coating on the inside, gives a nice blueisch glow when the sun reflects in the crystal.

Lume is great (on the bigger parts, the hour hand and inner hour indicies will fade away over night, leaving only the outer hour indicies, minute hand and bezel dot glow. I have read somewhere that they used tritium als glow material. Only drawback is the second hand, which has no lume.

All in all, I think this watch is great value for money..

Bart

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey Stevie,

Just a deskdiver, won't pretend my opinion would carry as much weight as Bart's! But I sure don't have anything negative to add. As to accuracy, my watch has lost 6 sec since setting it by time.gov 25hrs ago. Maybe not COSC accuracy, but quite good by auto standards as far as I'm concerned. B-)

Crown "feel" when screwing down is a little wonky. Not a build quality issue, rather the metalurgical (sp?) properties of Ti are obviously not the same as SS. One major difference is Ti's propensity toward "galling". Ti does not like to slide across Ti. Compared to a SS watch, you do have to use more care when "starting" Ti crown threads. Feels a little graunchy (technical horological term). Just a little injection of "character". I think of it as part of the price you pay to have such an amazingly tough lightweight hi-tech metal on your wrist. The other shortcoming of Ti is tendency to pick up little dings scratches and scrapes. How such a strong alloy can be so soft is beyond me, but cosmetically that's the way in acts.

As to Lume, the Oris starts off quite bright. Not Seiko bright, Not Omega SMP bright, but only a cut under. Longevity is not Omega quality either, but a good maglight blast before turning off the lights will last till daybreak for me. And the initially charged "Meistertaucher" Lume pattern just has to be seen to be believed. Don't know why the second hand was left "skeleton" but it could easily be lumed at the watches 1st service if desired.

Still takes a 2nd look for me to read the time if I've let the hour get away from me, not difficult by any means, just not the intuitive layout I grew up reading at a glance. I'm getting used to it, and enjoying the difference though.

The cased dive kit, strap and tools the watch was delivered with are a nice touch. Once I mount up the bracelet though, the rest is just icing on the cake. I'm not a fan of integrated lugs, period.. I'm just not. Realize I'm starting off with that bias when I say these massive lugs and thick chunky bracelet links look and feel fantastic. Almost an oversized caricature of an oyster bracelet. Looks like an oyster on steroids. Again, just has to be seen to be believed. Falls away on the wrist flawlessly, couldn't be more comfortable or more robustly constructed. With kinda "fine" wristfur, I'm sensitive to hair-pulling bracelets. Not an issue at all w/ an Oris bracelet.

Far as value goes.. You see a big variation in asking prices for Oris watches on the web. They seem to retain value fairly well (as long as you buy well in the 1st place). The AD I've bought from a couple of times is reasonable enough that I don't care to save 1 or 200$ and risk a used example. Shoot me an email for specific recommendations where to buy. But value for money spent, how much watch do you get? Best answer I can give you there.. I wouldn't sell you my regulateur for what I paid for it!

S'all I know to tell ya, hope it helps! :-!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
wielingab said:
We had also tested a few watches with the ISO 6425 (maximum pressure 125 bar for 2 hours). But this test is not represented for all watches, that we could use the ISO 6425 on the dial. The reason is that we did not test each watch with the ISO 6425, only a few pieces.

The last items is of course the 1/4th increase in pressure of seawater compared to fresh water.
Thanks for posting all this info from Oris and your impressions - good stuff!

One correction: the test to 125 bar is an overpressure test. Watches must be able to withstand a pressure 25% greater than its rating.

Seawater is 2-3% more dense than fresh water, not 25% ;-)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bart & Danny S, thanks so much for your responses. :-! Der Meistertaucher sounds a great watch and I have the opportunity here in Australia to buy BNIB from a local AD at a reasonable price.

I am still torn between the Der Meistertaucher and another Ti model Oris TT1 (the lumi dial 300m). Both watches I like. :think: The Ti bracelet version of the lumi dial is cheaper than Der Meistertaucher by approx AU$600 however, it doesn't have the 1 kilometre depth rating which I personally would never use as I mostly snorkel on the GBR and go scuba diving about once every 18 months in Fiji. I think 40 metres is the deepest I have ever gone in the ocean near Guadacanal, (and that hurt!) so a 30BAR watch would be safe for me. The lumi dial I think may have a better lume. Your comments about Ti against SS are noted. I would not go back to SS, especially for ocean use and the comfort level is superb. I'm not worried about scratches. I had a Submariner and it got full of scratches, so SS isn't immune either.

Der Meistertaucher looks absolutely fabulous in your photo's Danny. Thanks once again.

I still give it some thought. Either way it will be an Oris because their diver range are the best value for your dollar IMHO.:gold

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Like Danny says, the bracelets on the tt1 watches are outstanding.
Best I've seen on any watch by a good bit.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I really like the look of that, the only thing is that I just can't get why they didn't lume the seconds hand given that they lumed the markers on the seconds dial! :-S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.