WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Oris movement quality

11K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  rherlambang 
#1 ·
Hi

I am planning to have my first Oris (Aquis Date) as I was attracted by the one with grey plated. Learned that the S200-1 movement is used (which is Sellita), I am wondering if there is any comments from those Oris users in terms of the quality ontime accuracy, power reserve.

Hope that the Oris users could be able to share a bit before I make final decision. thanks a lot:)

#4 ·
My Oris diver date uses the SW 200 and it has been nothing but reliable on the year plus that I have had it. Accuracy is very good at less than 2s per day after regulation by Oris.

sent using a flying carpet
Thanks a lot balzebub for your advice, I am new in this forum and hope to have more discussion and sharing with all watches lovers/collectors

#3 · (Edited)
My Sellita SW200-1 in my Aquis is at +5 per day and I am very happy with that. The power reserve is actually at little better than the manufacturer states at 43 hours, this after a full crown winding and letting it sit until stopped. (I do that with every watch as soon as I receive it.)

It winds easily and sets true with precise crown clicks and no slop in the hands.

I have other Sellita's and ETA's as well and don't really experience any difference at all and as you probably know, the Sellita is a clone of the ETA and it's use may become even more widespread because ETA has limited and will likely further limit the supply of their movements to outside companies.

I have also had watches with the first generation SW200 and thankfully, those have been great as well.
The SW200-1 has some upgraded components so even better. When I see a watch that I like and it has a Sellita movement, I don't hesitate at all.

Eric

Edit: just came across this post that may help you. :)
https://www.watchuseek.com/f6/selita-tech-info-revelation-1631450.html

#5 ·
thanks Eric, I am now one step closer to the purchase of my very 1st Oris watch then.

Reactions: EHV
#6 · (Edited)
Although people always refer to Sellita movements as "clones" of ETA movements, they aren't exact copies and, in fact, Sellita movements have some improvements over their equivalent ETA counterparts. It would be more accurate to refer to them as updated versions of ETA movements.

Case in point, Sellita uses a superior hair spring giving their movements better accuracy and overall performance. All of my Oris watches with Sellita based movements are among the most accurate watches I own, and are at least as accurate as COSC certified watches I have that cost five times more money.

Here's a very good article that touches on some of the differences. Clone Wars

#9 ·
Thanks for the sharing with the link which gives more idea of the 2 movements.

#7 ·
Unfortunately I am the outlier. I have had several of the TT1 divers. I currently have the limited production silver dial from the 2005 timeframe and it uses the ETA 2824 and I had two (a blue and a black) from the 2010-2012 timeframe both with the SW200. Unfortunately I had trouble with both. One of them just quit working one day and had to be sent off for service. The watchmaker in Boston at the authorized service center told me it was not uncommon for these later Oris models to have issues and need more frequent service. My ETA is still running strong after 9 years and has never been serviced. I may be the lone person who has had bad luck but thought I would provide my experience for what it's worth. Good luck and enjoy your purchase.

#8 ·
Many thanks for sharing your experiences. Just would like to hear a bit more from other users so that i could get a general impression although at the end it may depend on 'luck' whether i get a good one or not.
thanks a lot.:-!

#11 ·
I have the Oris Aquis grey dial. Absolutely love it. Can't really tell you about accuracy, don't really take much notice to + or - secs per day or anything. Not that anal about watches (yet). As for the power reserve it is around 40 hours. You will not regret your purchase at all.

#13 ·
thanks everyone for your valuable advice which gives me a lot more reference and idea of Oris purchase. In general the comments are positive which is great. thanks again.

#18 ·
I have three Oris watches, one with an ETA base movement and two with Selitta base movements. All three of them keep time within 5 seconds per day. I wouldn't worry too much about the movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.