WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased the Oris Pro Pilot GMT with black face and olive textile bracelet.
I have one question and several comments:

Question: I had asked someone if the Local and GMT hands were set independently
and was told Yes. However when I got the watch I found out that they
are actually co-ordinated so that when you reset the hour hand when
changing time zones, it also resets the GMT hand. What is the correct
question to ask to determine if the GMT hand remains constant when
you reset the hour (local) hand when changing time zones while traveling.
Is there a term for this?

Comment: I love the look of this watch and wish it had the GMT feature I require,
but another issue I have is it seems the lume is very poor. Will this improve
or does Oris just use a poor lume material?

Comment: I just love the fabric strap with the nifty deployant buckle. Very easy to
adjust for an exact fit, and the buckle releases much like a seat belt buckle.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following you. I've owned perhaps half a dozen GMT watches over time and the GMT hand follows the hour hand when you are setting the hour, but there is always a method to adjust either the GMT hand or the hour hand independently so that you can track a new time zone. Otherwise, it's a pretty limited GMT function. On my Hamilton Khaki Navy watch, I have to pull the crown out to one click and go in the opposite direction from the date change.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following you. I've owned perhaps half a dozen GMT watches over time and the GMT hand follows the hour hand when you are setting the hour, but there is always a method to adjust either the GMT hand or the hour hand independently so that you can track a new time zone. Otherwise, it's a pretty limited GMT function. On my Hamilton Khaki Navy watch, I have to pull the crown out to one click and go in the opposite direction from the date change.
This is the correct method of setting the GMT hand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
See, I know I'm not explaining this correctly. Rolex, Omega, and my Alpina GMT all allow the wearer
to set the GMT hand to "home" time and then as you change time zones adjust the hour hand to
the new "local" time without it also changing the GMT "home time" hand. Most lower priced GMTs
don't allow this and as you change the hour and minute hand you also change the "linked" GMT hand.
This is fine if you never travel and change time zones.

The only other option with these types of watches is reset the GMT hand as you change time zones
and use it as the "Local" hour hand, but this is a clunky solution.

I'm trying to determine if there are terms to describe these two types of GMTs, or easily explain this
to someone so I can be sure I am getting the Rolex, Omega, Alpina type of GMT movement.

Sorry for the long winded explanation...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts