WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think my collection needs an Oris, and I think the Oris it needs is a ProPilot. I mean, Oris has a great reputation around here, and just look at the case on this thing:

I definitely want the 41mm version, and I definitely want it on the SS bracelet. Apart from "when to pull the trigger", this leaves one question: do I get the grey dial or black dial version?

The black dial is more classic for a pilot-style watch, has very good legibility (except for the second hand), and has a well matched date window, but I'm not so keen on the minute and hour hands which looks like they're all white:

The grey dial is something slightly different (which would differentiate it from the other black dial watch it would compete with for wrist-time - my Damasko DA38), has nicer looking hands with metal edges, but the legibility looks like it might not be so good due to the lesser contrast (it looks slightly washed-out in the pic below), the date window stands out a bit more, and it doesn't have the red tip on the second hand:

I've taken both pics from Jomashop, as that's where I'm likely to purchase from unless there is a better deal elsewhere. One thing I'm not clear on from the Jomashop pics is whether the grey dial is the suburst dial I've seen photos of elsewhere (e.g. the one below), or whether it's flat like it appears in their photos:

Can anyone confirm whether the black version has all white hour and minute hands, or whether the grey dial versions all have the sunburst dial? If not, I might have to contact Jomashop to ask.

Which version do you prefer?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I vote gray. I have my eyes on the new Big Crown Worldtimer in gray. You'll love the Oris!! I have an Aquis Small Second, BC3 Advanced and have the Staghorn LE on order.... Love me some Oris!!

Reactions: jon_huskisson

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I prefer the black to the grey, but the black is very similar to the Damasko, so maybe the grey if you're worried about overlap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Been waiting myself for a year for a good price to come up on the black date only model. That would be my recommendation. However the grey looks great too, but the black has more face definition. Good luck in your choice and if you get a good price please post with some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I like black, not keen on sunburst dials, and the black to me is more of a pilot color, contrast is key.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the gray sunburst dial. But the pics you posted one is with date and the other with day and date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I noticed that it was the day/date version. Think it's the 45mm case too. I'm hoping that someone will tell me that the one I'm looking at has the same dial finishing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that it was the day/date version. Think it's the 45mm case too. I'm hoping that someone will tell me that the one I'm looking at has the same dial finishing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Just checked it on the Oris website and it looks like the 41mm date has the sunburst gray dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
For better or worse, I think that most watches look better with a black dial. And for an only watch, black is the way to go. But for an assortment of watches, where one is trying to avoid too much redundancy, other colors become attractive. If you already have a Damasko, I'd say get the gray.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
So what do you want to know?

;-)

oris big crown propilot 3.jpg

Initial answers:

The 3-handers come in 41mm (date) and 45mm (day-date). I have the black dial day-date. I have no Oris dealers within a ~100 mi. radius so I made a trip to check them out about a year and a half ago before the gray dials were introduced along with the in-house movement in 2016, so I've not seen the gray dials in person. I debated sizing on these, and am glad I saw them in person. My decision making came down to "either is fine but I have a slight preference for the 45mm." I felt some stuck up f2 style voices prodding me to buy smaller in case I sold it later, and then decided these voices were nuts and went with the larger version. I do have 8" wrists, but the watch is curved well and it's probably quite wearable above 7" in wrist circumference. If you go with the 41mm, you're not giving up a thing... well except the day-feature.

The day-date is very well balanced with the size of the dial and in an odd twist, the day is in English. Only. It has blanks between the English days.

The gray dials *are* sunburst and spec wise they're the same-- the differences are limited to the dials and handsets.

The black dial is hyper-legible. The hour and minute hands are outlined in white paint with lume. The numerals and index markers are also lumed. It looks like BWG9/blue lume in color.

Clearly the black dial is a little more toolish. That was a selling point for me. At the same time, it's still wearable and the turbine detailing on the top and bottom of the case add interest. Finishing is top-notch and the straps are amazing with the best deployant I've ever used. I would have considered the bracelet, but at time of purchase (Black Friday... if you get my drift) the bracelet was not available so I got leather. The canvas/leather straps are also good, so spend the $$$ to get the strap or bracelet you want, because you'll probably want to use the included strap/bracelet.

Anything else I can answer, please ask.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I can confirm the grey dial is a sunburst finish, and I have absolutely no issues with visibility/contrast, it's always easy to tell the time. I also found that the grey dial (with its lack of color) works on basically any strap you want to throw it on. I agree that the finishing is great and the crown screws down extremely smoothly, best crown action I've felt I think.

As much as I like it, I'll likely be selling mine because I do think (even at 41mm) it's too large for my wrist. But wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone else, especially the grey dial - the small polished accents make it a lot more dressy/versatile than the black dial, imo. Just don't expect great lume.

Happy to answer any specific questions about the grey dial.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what do you want to know?

The gray dials *are* sunburst and spec wise they're the same-- the differences are limited to the dials and handsets.

The black dial is hyper-legible. The hour and minute hands are outlined in white paint with lume....
That was exactly what I wanted - thanks! While the hyper-legible black dial has it's appeal, I feel like I've got that base covered with the Damasko, so I think the slightly less toolish sunburst gray is winning at this point in time.

That said, if a black dial version was to become available for a great price I wouldn't say no.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can confirm the grey dial is a sunburst finish, and I have absolutely no issues with visibility/contrast, it's always easy to tell the time. I also found that the grey dial (with its lack of color) works on basically any strap you want to throw it on. I agree that the finishing is great and the crown screws down extremely smoothly, best crown action I've felt I think.

As much as I like it, I'll likely be selling mine because I do think (even at 41mm) it's too large for my wrist. But wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone else, especially the grey dial - the small polished accents make it a lot more dressy/versatile than the black dial, imo. Just don't expect great lume.

Happy to answer any specific questions about the grey dial.
Really helpful - thanks. Grey is definitely winning at this point in time, and lume isn't a big deal for me.

Send me a PM if you're serious about selling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts