WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lusting after an Oris divers for a number of years now and finally got round to pulling the trigger on an Aquis small seconds. Really nice watch, looks so much better in the flesh than in the pictures, but it is running a bit too fast for my liking at +15 a day.

Do these watches have a settling in period? I have had it just over three weeks and apart from the first day it is consistently +15 a day. My three other automatics which were considerably less expensive have all performed the same from the first day.

What do you think? Should I give it a bit longer or take it back to the AD and ask if they can regulate it.

Thanks Cobalt

·
Premium Member
60,837 Posts
All watches have variance specs that they should meet 'out of the box'. I think Oris is something huge like +- 30 sec per day so at + 15 yours is well within these specs. I happen to believe that watches run in and can improve on this allowable variance over the first month of use. Others, however, do not but I like to play safe and leave the watch alone for a month whether it runs in or not. If it is still gaining 15 secs per day after this time and it bugs you then take it to your AD to be regulated but check first that it will not void you warranty. If it's any comfort (I very much doubt it will be) my Aquis Small Seconds gains a bit too but I have decided to live with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice sticky, Thanks. I will give it another few weeks and see if there has been any improvement. +10 or under I can live with but +15 is bit too much.

It is not so much the accuracy that is my main concern (although I do believe a watch at that price point should be more accurate) but the additional wear on the thread from resetting the time more often. With my other autos, if I am not rotating them, I just reset the time once a month. Can handle a watch being a few minutes out at the end of the month but 7-8 minutes.

Did you notice any improvement on your small seconds accuracy after the settling in period?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm going on 2 weeks with my small seconds diver. out of the box it was +8 seconds but settled in after a couple of days and now runs between +2/+4 per day.

·
Premium Member
60,837 Posts
Did you notice any improvement on your small seconds accuracy after the settling in period?
To be honest I don't think mine did but neither did my SW200 based ProDiver Date which runs within COSC specs. Despite having two watches that didn't improve with running in I'm still a big believer in letting a watch "run in" before it's regulated just in case

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your replys. I will see what happens in the next few weeks. Then speak to my AD, but I suspect you may be right regarding the warranty and regulating the watch.

Oris appear to have only one authorised workshop in the UK, so I might have to send it away as I do want it too remain waterproof and essentially a divers watch. Hopefully it will not be as expensive as a full service.

In the meantime I will enjoy the watch and hope you both enjoy yours. It really is a great looking watch.

·
Registered
13,959 Posts
Cobalt, if you look in your manual, it states tolerances. You can also find that info in the website's resources section. If it's in spec, you'll have to pay unless your dealer has fantastic CS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I think your right. I noticed that as well the other day when I downloaded the manual from their site and searched it. Outside -5 or +20 and they will regulate it for free.

My AD was incredibly friendly when I bought the watch even offering me free coffee or champagne, but I will just have to wait and see if their after sales is as good as their sales pitch.

Realistically, there is strong possibility I will have to foot the bill as Oris consider it to be within spec.

Thanks Cobalt

·
Premium Member
60,837 Posts
Hi Cobalt, goodness knows where I got 30 secs per day from when it should be -5 and +20 (sorry about that) However even though I was wrong your BC3 is still within specs so good luck with the AD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts