WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to throw this out there to see how the two popular dive watches from Oris compare. They look to run just over $1K brand new on the grey market and I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go.

On paper, the Aquis seems like the better deal with the ceramic bezel, display case-back, and arguably nicer bracelet with handy dive extension. However, the vintage looks of the Sixty Five are mesmerizing and the lugs, albeit 21mm, allow for a wider assortment of straps than the Aquis. But the Aquis with the blue gradient dial and glossy black ceramic bezel looks modern and fantastic. Which would be the better one watch for all occasions assuming I would only wear it on the bracelet? How does the build and fit/finish compare? I heard the Aquis is heavy and might not be as easy to wear all-day compared to the Sixty Five. Note that my sweet spot for watches are usually 40-42mm on my 6.75" wrist but figure the Aquis doesn't wear that large for its stated 43mm size.

Pictures of the watches in question:
oris-aquis-date-blue-dial-stainless-steel-mens-watch-733-7653-4135mb-01_733_7653_4135mb.jpg oris-divers-sixty-five-blue-dial-automatic-men_s-watch-01-733-7720-4055-07-8-21-18.jpg

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have never seen a Sixty-Five but have owned a few 43mm Aquis'. The Aquis may be a heavy watch but compared to what? I have never had a problem wearing an Aquis for an entire day, much less an extended day of wearing. It is quite simply one of the most comfortable watches I have ever worn.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
One watch for all occasions? The sixty fiver for its thinner case and thinner bracelet.

If you have a dressier watch for those occasions you might need it, then Aquis. It's a great watch for the money.

Both are excellent choices. Really depends on what your personal "all occasions" is defined as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have owned both and so far kept the 65 (sold Aquis). Never liked the lug design on the Aquis limiting strap options, otherwise dial/bezel design good.
The 65 definitely wears a little smaller and fit me better also. Both blues are nice, tough decision, good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Personally I prefer the Aquis, as it is a modern, contemporary design rather than a vintage resissue which the 65 is. The Aquis will remain remain contemporary after the fad for vintage reissues has faded. I also much prefer the Aquis' bracelet.

Both of these are sport watches (being by definition Divers) and so would be best suited to weekend/casual wear (especially with the blue dials, rather than say a grey, black or silver dial)

·
Registered
8 Posts
And both very comfortable on the wrist. If the Diver 65 didnt have the date it would be perfect in my eyes. Ruins an otherwise exquisite dial.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I love the Aquis and the deployant buckle with rubber strap is awesome. Very comfortable.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I own both. Very different watches. The Aquis is on par with some of the finest watches (well above its price point) interms of finish. Truly spectacular. BUT and these are big buts, it has a proprietary lug design so you can say bye bye to changing straps. That's a HUGE downside. And it is heavy.

The 65 is probably not as well finished. But its size and proportions make it a dream to wear. I love wearing this watch on weekends. It goes anywhere and never gets in the way.

Out of 23 watches in my collection, the only one I regret buying is the Aquis...because of those lugs. Maybe it won't matter to you but if you like switching bands, think long and hard before buying. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Personally I've tried on both and if I had to pick only one I'd go with the 65 42. It's more versatile (regarding both strap options and occasion), EXTREMELY comfortable, light as a feather. I also find it more visually appealing, but that's purely subjective. And that domed sapphire tho...best in the business IMO.

But that's IF I had to pick only one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Also forgot to menton, I absolutely love the bracelet on the 65, it's really well-done. But the Aquis looks like it could take a beating and then some. Choices, choices...

Here's mine:

kokoko_oris.jpeg

·
Registered
323 Posts
As an actual diver I'd put more stock in the Aquis - crown guards, better water resistance, and better lume (why I'm actively hunting for a 40mm model). However, I cannot wear anything above 42mm (6.67 wrists) so if it were one of those blue dials I'd go with the Sixty Five.

·
Registered
967 Posts
OP, really interested to know which way you're leaning, or if you've already pulled the trigger? I've owned the Aquis, traded it and miss it. Currently own the 65 40. Went to an AD to try on the 42 and really loved it, but already owning the 40 am wondering if the two would just be too similar. Comparing the two side by side - really wish I'd taken a pic - the 42 seemed like the bigger watch, I think because the larger, more substantial bezel on the Aquis made the dial seem smaller. The lugs never bothered me on the Aquis because I loved the bracelet, although it was quite heavy. Really torn and am curious how it turned out for you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm curious which way you're leaning as well. As an Aquis owner I can only speak to that particular piece. It is definitely a robust and reliable dive watch, and while it sits comfortably on the wrist the rather large bracelet and lug design, IMO, contribute to a visually hefty wrist statement. I do wear it under shirt cuffs but I am just as often wishing for a 40mm offering as I am enjoying the 43mm. FWIW, my wrist measure's roughly 6.75" but I have larger forearms and flatter wrists than that measurement would suggest.

edit: You mentioned the Aquis potentially wearing smaller, and yes others have stated that before but define "wears" smaller. The curved lugs definitely make for a more comfortable watch and a smaller watch with straighter lugs may not sit as nicely on your wrist, but visually the Aquis 43mm looks like a 43mm watch. It isn't like a Planet Ocean with an embellished case that has a bezel ~2mm smaller than it's advertised size or the Oris diver series that came before the Aquis (I believe they measured 44mm at the case with ~42.5mm bezels or something to that effect).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts