If you didn't know nothing about watches which one would you pick

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
They look pretty much the same.

·
Registered
849 Posts
They both have a very strong appeal to them, I will be honest I am more of a Seiko man and I do not have much experience with Oris. So I will try to chime in on what I can.

If I had to pick I would go with what appeals to me. If I knew nothing of watches, I would probably get the Invicta because of the design and layout to it. I will be perfectly honest, about 4 years ago I purchased an Invicta Automatic Pro Diver's and truthfully it was one of the best watches I ever owned.

However one day while cleaning it.. I noticed a slight scratch on the glass. So after hours of buffing it dawned on me that the scratch was inside. No harm no foul I left it alone. I ended up selling it for about the same that I purchased it for. Would I buy another Invicta yes I probably would---maybe another Pro Diver. Now as for this watch I have seen similar Chrono watches for sale on Shop NBC. The only reason that has kept me from buying any chrono from Invicta is; one night while watching ShopNBC. An Invicta Python ??? I guess was featured on the show. It had to be of quality because the selling price on SNBC was close to $375.00 so you figure it has to be one of their higher end models, correct???

While they are displaying the watch and replaying the second hand moving---you could see that when the Chrono reset button was pressed the Chrono Minute Marker hand would not line up to the 12 O'clock position instead it was off while the other markers did line up----Not a good sign friend.

Well this is just mt 2 cents, buy what appeals to you and what you feel comfortable with. Do what you enjoy, after all that is what this hobby is all about enjoying our watches, how they look and how they make us all proud. Whatever you get wear it well wear it proud brother!!!!

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
Knowing nothing would lead most buyers to the lower cost of the Invicta. I think Invicta has the ability to make good quality watches but they will always be held back by their well deserved reputation, they should create a new brand for top end stuff like Toyota did with Lexus.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If I knew nothing about watches, I'd still pick the Oris. The 44mm case is my sweet spot, and I like the cleaner dial.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you didn't know nothing about watches? You're asking this question in a watch forum? My gut tells me your looking for some help in justifying the Invicta, but I could be wrong. I say go with what you like and what will fit into your budget. Invicta is famous for making look alikes, and the Scuba looks a lot like the Oris..... There is also a huge price difference between these 2 watches. Invicta makes some very nice watches, but there just aren't in the same league with Oris. Thus the huge difference in price.

If you like the Invicta then go for it!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Based on pictures alone, I would go with the Oris. I like the hour markers better and the dial is more subtle. The 47mm case is rather large for my taste. The big difference would be evident when one holds the watches side by side for a "true" comparison and can look at the finish work up close.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'd choose neither. I'm firmly against any watch that limits my strap options. I just can't see past the Oris style lugs.

If the lug issue were not a factor I would choose the Oris based on size. Like Dumluk said, 44mm is the sweet spot.

RS

·
Registered
863 Posts
While I like the looks of both editions I would opt for the Oris because of the 44mm case size. It wear large due to it thickness and lug layout. The Invicta (as with most of their models) is just to large for my 6.5in wrists.

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you didn't know nothing, you'd know something.
personally, i prefer the handset and cleaner, less cluttered look of the Oris, but finances at the moment would dictate going with the Invicta.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Based on looks alone - that invicta is nice looking, but the Oris is a bit more refined and harmonious.

Though they're both bolder-styled chrono diver (actually, one is a bolder-styled diver chrono and the other is a blatant copy), the time is still relatively easy to read and neither dial really tips at being overcrowded. If Invicta got rid of the date window, it would be easier on the eyes. The Oris will also be a bit more versatile (for most people, IMO) due to the size.

Anyhow, having noted as much, I do think Invicta did a nice job with their Scoobies.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I don't know if it's just the pictures...but the Oris looks more sharp. I would go with the Oris...it just looks better. Could be that Invicta just doesn't have a good rep and I have a predisposition against it...but the Oris just looks better to me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That Oris is a 4mm case I believe.

The 44mm version has non-screw down pushers and looks a little tidier in my opinion.

As to your question - I'd go for the oris every day of the week. The original rather than the rather blatant 'homage'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts