WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying my first watch. As said, I have close to zero experience on watches and would like some feedback on this matter.I am thinking to buy a used vintage Oris watch for US112.38 . Since I am new to watches and such, I would prefer advise on this particular brand and any reviews? I cant find similar watch on google. Is this an authentic Oris watch? what do you guys think of this particular model? It is said to be self winding (automatic?). Also, what movement does it use? Any feedback is highly appreciated.

. IMG_2390.JPG IMG_2391.JPG IMG_2392.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? Don't have such experience in watches. Can't differentiate real from fake brands. Thanks for the clarification tho !

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'd be dubious of that dial. The pic is not quite large enough to be sure but it looks newly printed. Also, it would be more common for an automatic to have something to that effect printed on the dial.

I'd want to see larger pics of the dial and also a pic of the movement.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is! That dial looks like it was painted last week by someone who likes to use all the colours, it will have an FHF movement inside, the fakers favourite. There are many of these fantasy pieces on ebay, I would say hundreds, along with fake Titonis, Tissot and Fortis. Spend a few hours browsing through there to sharpen up your ******** detector!

I posted this recently, it may help - http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/rogues-gallery-3991202.html#post38233082

·
Registered
208 Posts
The case is probably real, but the dial and hands are totally fake. There might be an ORIS movement in there, but you'd need to open it up to be sure.

I'd pass on it.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Oh my, the seller even puts a Malaysian coin next to the watch on his Honda dashboard. At least a re-dial if not worse. Look how the Oris logo is centered, even taking into consideration some distortions on the image. A good emetic if you ever need one. Are you sure the price is in US$ and not in Ringgit?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Stinks of a Bombay Special for miles. Fake dial, fake case, indeed most likely an FHF 96 (or a clone thereof) inside.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If your on the bay, I've also seen a good number of these pop up as well. Was doing some reading here on the forums, not sure where, but someone mentioned that the watch movement and case could be original, but horribly redialed.

A general rule of thumb, and not to oversimplify, the ones coming out of U.K., usually have much less "done" to them than India/China.

It's a simple profit equation if you think about it; the amount you'd have to pay someone to rework an old piece doesn't add up with such a low resale value. The only way it does work, is if it's unskilled labor doing the job.

Better yet, just ask and see what type of responses you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,901 Posts
Pretty much the same things as before: no movement piccie means it didn't happen! Other than that, if genuine, it would appear to be a pre-1966 model from the time when Oris made pin lever watches. No jewel count on the dial, ostentatious "Waterproof" and "Anti-shock" but no "Ancre" or "Incabloc", subseconds movement all add up to one of the lower grade movements.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts