WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Have to go with Oris on this one. Not like im unbiased or anthing... :roll: but still. I think this ? is pretty cut n dried.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think Hamilton might have more history.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Oris was founded in 1904. Hamilton was... 1890-something? Pretty close.

·
Moderator Fortis Forum
1,229 Posts
These days I would say ...Oris. If we're talking "perceived" prestige in the general public (I'm assuming), to me that translates to advertising. I see way more Oris ads than Hamilton ads. And the Oris ads often list the MSRP of the watch, which I'm sure has an effect on some people. They're both very nice watches though.

S

·
0 Posts
If "perceived prestige" is the only issue: ORIS.

Hamilton - under the Swatch Group hat - will catch up, I am sure of that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Hamilton has more history involved with uses in the military and with regulating the traffic on the railroads.
Oris has more expensive watches, different styles, more advertising and marketing, and more contemporary visibility.
They're both great brands, with different identities.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I believe the Oris line overall is considerably more expensive.
It's difficult to say - Hamilton is only really sold in the US (though there is a sprinkling of outlets in central Europe and SE Asia). As such, it's rather like comparing the price of American cars with the price of worldwide cars sold in the US. If the American car was built with world markets in mind (for example, requiring advertising and promotion material in 20 or 30 languages, instead of one or two), it would be considerably more expensive. Better to compare Oris with another brand featuring worldwide distribution and exposure, such as Longines.

S

·
0 Posts
It's difficult to say - Hamilton is only really sold in the US (though there is a sprinkling of outlets in central Europe and SE Asia).
Sorry to correct you, Baselworld 2006 has been the starting point to sell Hamilton watches all over Europe. The Swatch Group set up a huge press campaign (including a "Hamilton newspaper" in spring 2006. Since mid 2006 we got a lot of AD's here in Germany. The German watch magazines are full of ads. A colleague of mine just got a Hamilton chrono. The campaign is believed to be very successfull.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Sorry to correct you, Baselworld 2006 has been the starting point to sell Hamilton watches all over Europe.
Well, it was only 10 months ago :)

An announcement was made but the move to action obviously has yet to pick up steam. Hamilton is a complete unknown in the UK, with only a few dealers carrying the brand. One I found could only order them, they had none on display; another had gone out of business.

Unfortunately my experience in Germany isn't much better. None of the dealers in Duesseldorf carry Hamilton (one used to, but again, the shop seems to have closed down) and that includes a long trawl up and down the Koenigsallee :).

I do look forward to seeing Hamilton achieving greater exposure, though. I good chrono with a 7750 under the hood for less than £500 would be a winner, but as with everything, distribution in new markets and all the costs associated with building the market doesn't come free...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I recently found out about Hamilton and got a Khaki Aviation QNE. They have a dealer in Oman and in Dubai. In both places, it is the Omega dealer, fairly established with good distribution and support network.

I agree that Swatch is pushing Hamilton through.

I wanted mine with a metal strap, which was flown in from Swatch within a couple of weeks. I am extremely happy with the watch BTW, very good quality watch, excellent value. $415 for an excellent automatic with sapphire crystal and SS strap. Cannot complain.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Among my non-watch friends -- I think Hamilton (here in the USA) has much greater name recognition. When people ask about my watch, and I tell them it is a Hamilton, there is often an acknowledgement of "great watch." I don't think they would react to Oris in the same way, because the name would not "ring any bells."

I almost bought an Oris Artelier last year -- but opted for the Hamilton Jazzmaster Automatic. Absolutely no regrets and I save over $500.00!

Reactions: ColeG

·
Registered
368 Posts
No question -- been doing research/reading on for a while, now, so . . . it's Hamilton for me. Especially w/a Hamilton Khaki expected to arrive in a few days :-! .

I also like how they're associated with Elvis Presley and the Lethal Weapon movies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the top to the bottom of the line I would say that Oris has a better appeal since they don't have as many watches and they do not go as inexpensive as Hamilton (to my knowledge). But I will tell you this, I have a Hamilton Khaki X-Wind Automatic and the quality of that watch I would put up against anything Oris makes. And I got it for considerably less than the nicest Oris could ever be purchased for.

·
Registered
604 Posts
From the top to the bottom of the line I would say that Oris has a better appeal since they don't have as many watches and they do not go as inexpensive as Hamilton (to my knowledge). But I will tell you this, I have a Hamilton Khaki X-Wind Automatic and the quality of that watch I would put up against anything Oris makes. And I got it for considerably less than the nicest Oris could ever be purchased for.
Don't want to change the subject too much but is this the X-wind you have. Really quite a great looking watch in person. I would like to know more about it. Also the Hamilton X-wind and Oris TT1 Diver are both on my hit list so I am neutral. Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't want to change the subject too much but is this the X-wind you have. Really quite a great looking watch in person. I would like to know more about it. Also the Hamilton X-wind and Oris TT1 Diver are both on my hit list so I am neutral. Sorry.

Yes. Except mine has the SS Bracelet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts