WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first posting. A while back I bought a watch at the local flea market for a few dollars.
It is marked Orlogin watch company Israel.
It has Hebrew dial and markings and claimes to be Israeli made.
I found a newspaper ad from 1954 offering the watch for $27.95
The ad claimed it was " made by the First Israeli Watch Company, at Ramat Gan, Israel"

I opened the screw back and found that it had a felsa 465 movement.
Could use a good cleaning and a new crystal but it does keep surprisingly good time.

Any info on this company / watch would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I'd give you double the retail... good luck with it and do bring it to someone for a thorough cleaning, lube, etc. If you don't want to put that much into it... give me a PM (wink, wink).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgive my ignorance. How do you ascertain if a watch is working or broken without winding it?
I understand if I had found something obviously precious it would need to be taken to a watchmaker
and not messed with. I get that lubing without cleaning will have a really adverse effect loosening the old gunk and becoming abrasive.
I am here to learn and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Any thoughts on the watch itself. The movement, etc?

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,349 Posts
Three posts, edit: four posts, deleted since we discuss watches here.

The Felsa 465 was a movement of the 50s and mounted into a lot of watches. The "quality version",if I may say so, had a screw balance (missing in the watch you posted). With 11 1/2 lines it belonged to the larger movements those times, Another feature of the 465 was the long regulator arm.

Orlogin Watch Co Inc was founded in NY on 05 05 1953.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,214 Posts
Forgive my ignorance. How do you ascertain if a watch is working or broken without winding it?
I understand if I had found something obviously precious it would need to be taken to a watchmaker
and not messed with. I get that lubing without cleaning will have a really adverse effect loosening the old gunk and becoming abrasive.
I am here to learn and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Any thoughts on the watch itself. The movement, etc?
Don't worry about winding it once to see if it runs. However, unless you have the tools and some knowledge about watch repair you may want to rethink using this as a practice watch. Overall it is an unusual watch in nice condition considering it's age.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks John MS. That's a much more appreciated answer than " a huge mistake was to wind it".
I have been a member of a number of forums ,covering various interests,and it never fails to amaze me just how many times
the first reply to a first time post is such as the one here.
Hopefully If the thread stays up,anyone having more information on the Orlogin brand will chime in,
especially the history of the company. I found it interesting that Israeli watch productioin history info seems to be very
scarce. It seems as a whole ( from my limited research ) that they tend not to be much for self promotion.
I have still to find any connection other than this watch and perhaps 4 others to the "first Israeli watch company" other than
that stated in the print ad.
Thanks for the reply. I will practice on another watch !

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,349 Posts
I do not know the manufacturer but know the street.
This is Old Jaffa street, a residential area of artists and small shops. I believe this manufacturer simply decorates something available.
Really ? And I thought that Itay Noy has been creating unique high-quality timepieces since 2000.
From his studio in Old Jaffa he designs limited edition collections of hand-made watches and clocks. Displayed in exhibitions around the world, Itay Noy timepieces have been acquired for many collections including The C. Bronfman Collection - NY, The Droog Collection – Amsterdam and The Collection of The Israel Museum – Jerusalem. I do not think you are right with your insinuation.

What he is capable to do on a generic 6498 has been reported by our senior editor: Pre-Basel 2015: Itay Noy Part Time Collection

image.jpeg

Btw: Baselworld 2017 visitors will find him in Hall 2.2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts