WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gotta say i'm happily surprised with this new addition, contrary to all the evil stories about ORSA I've heard. I just got the Monstrum, and it seems to be worth every penny of the $300 new price. We'll see how it holds up. Here's some quick n Dirty pics.

Wrister:

Coolest caseback I've seen, IMO:

Like the bezel, then think it looks cheap, like the bezel, then think it looks tinny....

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
:-! Impressive watch! I like its "heavy" look. Thanks for sharing! It's the first time I hear about Orsa...

How big is it? 45mm? 50mm?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the specs;

- 47mm wide
- 55mm lugs to lugs
- 19mm thick
- 22mm lugs
- sapphire crystal

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Congrats! :-!

How do you like the domed crystal?

Very nice, indeed! ;-)

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Very cool dt.
Hope it serves you well!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dome is very cool, however, it does reflect pretty much everything, so it is a little hard to read at times. AR would've been a good idea for this watch, but im sure that would've increased the price tag, so...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The dome is very cool, however, it does reflect pretty much everything, so it is a little hard to read at times. AR would've been a good idea for this watch, but im sure that would've increased the price tag, so...
Thanks for your comments on the dome! :-!

So, there isn't an AR coating on just the underside of the crystal? I, myself, love the optical distortions caused by viewing well domed crystals at certain angles(just part of the fun for me)...but can certainly understand the importance of instant and utter legibility, for those using these watches for actual diving...and an AR coating at least to the underside of the crystal would help to minimize reflections to some degree.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts

So, there isn't an AR coating on just the underside of the crystal? I, myself, love the optical distortions caused by viewing well domed crystals at certain angles(just part of the fun for me)...but can certainly understand the importance of instant and utter legibility, for those using these watches for actual diving...and an AR coating at least to the underside of the crystal would help to minimize reflections to some degree.
Boy you'd definitely love a Corum Bubble Geoff for crazy "dome fx"!
They're really slick watches that get a bum rap from WIS snobs.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts

Me too Geoff, I have 2 (Zeno Army diver, Kronos Type II homage) and one more under the tree (Monstrum). I think domed crystals are cool, but am careful wearing them in case they get scratched/nicked. No domed crystals are going on a Boy Scout event! :-d

Cheers,
Griff

·
5,111 Posts
That's one massive timepiece. I agree, the back is ultra-:p!!

Big congrats!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Too honking big for my wrist though.. :-(
I think i'm maybe still trying to convince myself that it's not juuust a tad too big! :-d It feels comfortable on the wrist overall, so that's the main thing.

The Monstrum is pretty comparable to my EcoZilla, actually. Here's a good comparison shot;

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Boy you'd definitely love a Corum Bubble Geoff for crazy "dome fx"!
They're really slick watches that get a bum rap from WIS snobs.
Hi John,

You mean, like one of these?

Image borrowed from home-and-garden webshots.com

Pretty wild! I read somewhere that their sapphire bubble crystals are 11mm thick at the center! b-) An AD that I bought my last Ball watch from, also sells Corum watches(as well as a lot of really high end stuff). He told me that the Bubble series are very fine timepieces...but that a lot of watch enthusiasts just won't take them seriously....could have something to do with some of the graphic designs they have on their dials(bats, skulls, etc.). I think it'd be fun to have one, just for the heck of it...but they're still a bit expensive for "just for the heck of it" snags. Now, if I only had Griff's massive watch fund...then.... :-d

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ah yes the 'Monstrum'
Ive just ordered mine this week, Silver face with the orange surround.
Its being shipped from America to me here in the U.K,
Can I ask what the bad things you have heard of about the Orsa and also, How do you go about changing the size of the rubber strap? Do you have to cut out a certain length with a Knife to suit the size of your wrist like Ive had with an Oris?b-)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice watch, Congrats! I've always liked the Monstrum, especially the blue, but since it's roughly the size of my entire hand I think it would look a little odd on me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
NICE !!!

Thinking of a Monstrum myself. I already have a Sea Angler and it never fails to elicit positive comments from strangers. Have an Orsa military also and never a problem with either watch.

I only have a 6 1/2 inch wrist but the S/A is a comfortable fit so dont let size stop ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts