WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Orsa Monstrum starts shipping November 2! (Watch received! updated pics & first impress)

Hi guys,

Over at the other watch forum (do a google search for Orsa Monstrum), Berg has announced that the much delayed Orsa Monstrum will start shipping November 2, 2007. (Go to the Orsa sub-forum to put your name on the pre-order list and Berg will contact you)

ONLY the BLUE is available for now...The other colors will trickle out over time...be patient...

Cost is ~300$ + shipping for IMO a great watch.

Specs:
47mm case
22mm band
Rubber band included (bracelet available later)
Sapphire crystal
300m WR
Miyota 8205 movement

I hope you guys are alright with me posting this here as I think this watch is a great deal for my fellow diver lovers. (If you don't agree, then admin, please remove)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
By far the coolest sea creature case back I have seen! Makes the Omega sea monster look like a rocking horse........ The rest of the watch is OK too, but I'm not going to buy it.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
If berg puts the watch for sale on his own site I may be tempted. as it stands now I wouldn't get one from the mentioned site. to many issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If berg puts the watch for sale on his own site I may be tempted. as it stands now I wouldn't get one from the mentioned site. to many issues.
The watch will be from Berg directly, not the forum. His website is down temporarily so the forum is the best way to get into contact with him.

I will be a first time Orsa owner, however, am aware of some of the problems of the past. I am optimistic that his QC has improved. For me, $300 is not a lot of $$ to spend on a watch (however, I don't want to put my views on others).

I like encouraging startup companies. I have an Enzo Mechana (bought unseen), pre-ordered an Ocean7 LM-7 and will hopefully be picking up an Ocean7 LM-2 pilot as well. I am amazed that these guys are able to produce a good watch for a decent price...I wish I had the time to explore my watch passion...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Rubber band included (bracelet available later)

Looks interesting but I will tell you what will keep me from buying one. I owned a Sea Angler which had one of the lug screws fall out. I have read other owners also experienced this. After this happened I emailed Orsa several times and never received a response or a replacement. I have read numerous posts where owners get no response to inquiries or customer service issues. Looking at the pictures of the Monstrum those lug screws look like an unanswered email just waiting to happen. I am sure there is some excuse as to why they look so insecure but if they didn't stay on the Angler why assume they will stay on the cheaper Monstrum?

The original orange Sea Angler came out in November 2005. When it was introduced, a bracelet was going to be available shortly. :roll: After two years there is still no bracelet. I figure there are too many small watch companies out there like Ocean7, Bathys, MKii, Timefactors, etc. that do offer top notch products and top notch customer service to waste my time with a company that can't even help an existing customer. :think:

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
It's a good looking watch, but the numbers on the bezel look crooked to my eyes. And while the caseback is awesome, the Miyota movement under it isn't so impressive. I've never owned an Orsa, and I probably never will due to all the bashing of Ocean7 and other watch companies on their home forum. But I wish them well and look forward to seeing some more pics of this watch in the wild.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I am a bit less concerned with the customer satisfaction issue Cannon......but then of course I haven't even worn the watch since i got it......but I have heard over and over about this problem, and their pretty bogus communication skills.

my problem is that bezel on my SEA ANGLER LUME DIAL...........got to be the worst bezel I have ever seen!!!!.... and as a result the watch sits in the box.

as for the new bracelet "coming soon".........yeah right. If you are buying this or a Sea Angler, you gotta pump the watchadoo nubby on it|>|>|>

The dials look cool though, and I like the curved glass.

but this new bezel looks the same or very similar so like you, Malyel.........its PASADENA for me on any more Orsa's.....and I have 2:-s

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I was not very pleased with the quality of the Sea Angler... wonder if this will be any better.

my feelings exactly, but this one is being sold at a lower price-point, so........better? It'd be a stretch.

That being said, $300 is a good price for this piece IMHO

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I was not very pleased with the quality of the Sea Angler... wonder if this will be any better.
I don't think you can expect too much for USD 300.- Orsa is a never again for me due to non existant communication once you pay for the watch and wait and wait and wait. I sent the same email to Orsa probably over 100 times, just once a day, until I had an answer to my question last year. The watch was a let down on top of it. (This is my personal opinion)
Even a very busy Joerg Schauer will send you a short personal note to let you know why your watch is delayed for a few days and this is the sort of quality and personal touch that I like to support.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man, you don't know how many times I've heard that same song from Orsa buyers. The guys on EOT got pretty ugly over the lack of communication and product quality.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a sand-blasted orsa quartz mil...it arrived within a week of ordering it. so far the watch is fine with decent lume too. I have to say that it's perfect for nursing school, (hey I have to do something during retirement), I did replace the nato-type band with a zulu. The second hand even lines-up with the face....LUMINOX are you listening!!!

I was thinking about giving his new watch a whirl but it is going to be just too large...esp the lug length.

·
Aquadive forum moderator
5,644 Posts
Guys from what I understand this watch will cost approx. $300. please think before you buy and research the quality of same. You can get a real good
Seiko for the same price and this is a proven brand.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I just measured the csar. its lug to lug is also 55mm.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Looks interesting but I will tell you what will keep me from buying one. I owned a Sea Angler which had one of the lug screws fall out. I have read other owners also experienced this. After this happened I emailed Orsa several times and never received a response or a replacement. I have read numerous posts where owners get no response to inquiries or customer service issues. Looking at the pictures of the Monstrum those lug screws look like an unanswered email just waiting to happen. I am sure there is some excuse as to why they look so insecure but if they didn't stay on the Angler why assume they will stay on the cheaper Monstrum?

The original orange Sea Angler came out in November 2005. When it was introduced, a bracelet was going to be available shortly. :roll: After two years there is still no bracelet. I figure there are too many small watch companies out there like Ocean7, Bathys, MKii, Enzo, Timefactors, etc. that do offer top notch products and top notch customer service to waste my time with a company that can't even help an existing customer. :think:
I think this is the best-looking Orsa so far. That case back is just incredible. I agree that the lug screws look like a problem waiting to happen. I can't recall ever seeing screws before that are not flush to the lug, or recessed.:-s

Unfortunately, I am one of the many who has experienced non-existant customer service from Berg. I tried to spend money with the guy on a Sea Angler, but never got any reponse. I'm all for second chances in this life, so, lug screw concerns aside, I might be tempted.:think: But, as has been said, $300 buys some great Seiko divers-and I've plenty of positive experiences with that brand.:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
The crystal reminds me of a Corum and I stop at 44mm in size. 47mm is too big.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts