WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the city with a friend for the Red Sox game. We were heading in that direction to get something to eat and were over a street and about 3 blocks away when the bombs went off. Didn't think too much of it until everyone started running in the other direction. Very relieved that all friends and family on my end are safe. Thoughts are with those who are not.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My office is about eight blocks from the bombing sites. My wife is about seven blocks in the other direction. One of my employees ran in the race and was diverted at mile 25 and told about the bombings. It was to have been her first Boston Matathon, but she never finished. Of course we are all just glad she is OK.

The brother of my wife's executive assistant was at the finish line and was wounded, apparently by shrapnel. I just saw him at a cookout a few weeks ago. It is beyond surreal for me.

Boston is the greatest town in the world. I am going back into work tommorow. We will get through this. I believe in Boston.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I live 4 blocks away from the finish line and I was coming home from work when the subway (T) was evacuated moments after the bombs went off. I came up above ground at Park Street (it overlooks the Boston Common and the skyline above where the finish line is in the Back Bay) and saw smoke... Just then an ex girlfriend frantically called me to make sure I wasn't around Copley Square and told me what happened. There wasn't any way I was going to be able to get back to my place near the Hynes Convention Center (which was on the other side of the finish line relative to where I was) so I walked through the South End a few miles to circumvent the Back Bay to a friend's place in Brookline where I could wait it out. On my way there I heard the controlled explosion the bomb squad carried out on a suspected device, but at the time everyone around me thought it was another bomb so even that caused panic.

It was absolutely horrible. Even trying to stay clear of the marathon I saw people spattered in blood, sobbing, trying to get away from the city. I have friends who work at Massachusetts General Hospital who saw half a dozen people with their feet or legs blown off. Can't even begin to conceive why anyone would want to target such an innocent event...

Thankfully none of my friends or loved ones were injured and I am back at my own home now, they let pedestrians by but no street traffic when I got here. But even now at 11:15 PM it's a constant wail of sirens out my window. My deepest thoughts and prayers to all of those affected by this, this city will never be the same after this

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Thankfully we weren't near the city today, and not sure what things will be like tomorrow, but as hippocampus said things here won't be the same, the marathon is(was) a very family friendly event and its just so scary/sad that it was targeted for an attack like this.

Reactions: copperjohn

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
I echo the best wishes from this side of the pond. From one city that has suffered this sort of attack numerous times in my lifetime to another - you will overcome this tragedy even if life is never exactly the same again.

Nigel

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
This was another COWARDLY attack on innocents, I hope no one is put off running in the London marathon or they will have won.

Don't let the Bastards get you down

Matt

P.S.
Sometimes I'm really glad I live in the bumhole of nowhere.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
My heart and thoughts go out to those families that have been affected by the bombings in Boston, as it does to to the families affected by the bombings in Iraq that also occurred today..

I abhor indiscriminate acts of violence against anyone, regardless of what country they live or religion they believe in. A parents grief does not discriminate. Nor should I.

Reactions: Mr Fjeld and NMGE17

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I'd love to get to Boston one day 'cos you folks are wicked bad! Home of Aerosmith, JFK, and a bunch of cool people in between.
Hang in there! My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to all of you and the victims in Boston. My old hometown. I'm now in Kansas City and all of us here are saddened by the events in Boston.

·
Registered
74 Posts
While I have been to Boston only once I feel a kinship to the city. I am a long time Sox fan and would live in the city if funds allowed.

My heart aches for all of those involved. I thank God for the first responders and all of those that helped during the first moments of this tragedy. Boston is a strong town and will bounce back, but we will never forget the events of Patriots Day 2013.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Terrible what happened in Boston. I hope when we find the ones responsible for this attack that we make them run a marathon and blow them up after as well.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
All the best wishes to Boston and her people :)

From the Great White North :) lots of love <3

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to hear that a few of you are a bit too close for comfort...Ehutch, how's that guy doing now? Hippo, Matthew, Pete, glad you're OK.

There'll be the usual caution here for the London marathon Sunday, and my guess is that Thatcher's funeral procession this morning will be nervy for some too on the London streets. That's the world we have to live in today sadly. We will never get our heads round something like this, and why these lowest of the low excuses for human beings get off on killing and maiming for this extremist crap. It achieves nothing, Horrible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts