WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here wears fitness tracker or smart watch?

I like the idea of fitness tracker (I'm on a loosing end of battling my beer belly - wondering if a fitness tracker would help or if it's really just a gimick?)

Also, I like the idea of having a notification watch but I dislike the idea of charging it every other day...

Opinions? Has any one here complemented their G-Shock with smart watch or fitness tracker? :think:

What was your experience? :think:

I'm not looking into product reviews - there is tons of those out there , I'm marely interesting to hear if you guys think that they're worth it or are they (as I actually suspect) pretty much as usefull as that excercise machine that's collecting dust in your basement (yea, it's probably been used for first couple of weeks or months... ;) )

Hey, if everything else fails I don't mind fitness tracer / smartwatch funds beeing used for another g-shock... because we can never have too many g-shocks... :-!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a fitbit I wear right next to whichever G I happen to be wearing. It was given to me as a gift and I like it, I use it to keep track of steps taken, distance walked and sleep. I also like the vibration alarm feature. Gimmicky? maybe, but if you want to lose some weight and become more active the other features they have like the calorie tracker and exercise tracker could be useful.

It definitely makes you more aware of how much you're eating and how active you are, kind of makes you accountable to yourself. My wife has one too so there's a little bit of competition going on there as well.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
I'm not trolling but IMO I think they are a waste.

Spend $20 on a Gymboss for interval training and be done with it. Or better yet do push ups, sit ups, ride a bike, or run/jog/walk for free. I just do not see how this thing is supposed to motivate you.

If I see another housewife or pseudo exercise junkie wearing one I'm going to scream.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Go 3-4 days a week for a run - at least 5 km
Start to make push-ups, triceps dips, pull-ups, sit-ups (not as important as many believe) and squats (50-100 of each)
Start to eat less, reduce sugar and carb in general (low carb), increase protein and (good) fat eg peanuts, fish, olive oil.. .

I'm not talking about a diet but a total change in your nutrition. Don't expect a fast outcome but make a picture of you now and make a picture three month later and you will be very surprised;-)

A fitness tracker can help but it is only a tool. The true goal to success is a pure mind thing and I don't think any watch or whatever sports instrument can do much if you are not up to it.

cheers

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Does anyone here wears fitness tracker or smart watch?

I like the idea of fitness tracker (I'm on a loosing end of battling my beer belly - wondering if a fitness tracker would help or if it's really just a gimick?)

Also, I like the idea of having a notification watch but I dislike the idea of charging it every other day...

Opinions? Has any one here complemented their G-Shock with smart watch or fitness tracker? :think:

What was your experience? :think:

I'm not looking into product reviews - there is tons of those out there , I'm marely interesting to hear if you guys think that they're worth it or are they (as I actually suspect) pretty much as usefull as that excercise machine that's collecting dust in your basement (yea, it's probably been used for first couple of weeks or months... ;) )

Hey, if everything else fails I don't mind fitness tracer / smartwatch funds beeing used for another g-shock... because we can never have too many g-shocks... :-!
Like many other people, I do have at least one piece of exercise equipment at home gathering dust. Yeah, I admit it.

But I do have a Fitbit, got it recently, and wear it 24/7. It tracks steps, flights of stairs, calories, and total distance, plus sleep patterns. Uploads data wirelessly to your PC or smartphone. Stats are very cool and can be viewed for the day, week, or month.

I like it, because for me it is a motivational tool to become more active. My job requires me to sit a lot and activity is important, and this will help me to get more of it. I'm not looking to become a tri-athlete or anything like that, I just want to increase my activity level and eat better in order to have better health. (the sleep tracker is also very useful, IMO. I have found that I'm not getting nearly as much actual sleep as I thought I was)

Just yesterday I used it as a motivational tool... I found by early evening that I climbed 16 floors throughout the day. I decided that 25 was a better number, so I climbed 9 more, for no other reason. Then I decided I didn't want to stop at 25, and did 30 instead. (30 floors x 14 steps/floor = 420 stair steps in a day, not bad) Keep in mind, this is from someone who has a desk job and does not exercise regularly, anymore. But studies claim that even IF you exercise for 1/2 hour or an hour a day, what you do with the other 23 hours is very important too. I am using the Fitbit to become more active in general.

I suspect the Fitbit or similar activity tracker will work well for anyone who already has the motivation to become more active. For those who don't -- well, it's not magical.

Smartwatch? For me, no way. Have ZERO interest in a watch that I have to plug in or recharge. Not only that, but they simply have no appeal to me, compared to my g-shocks or other standard watches. Maybe that's just me. But I haven't even looked twice at any of the smart watches out there, and don't plan to.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not trolling but IMO I think they are a waste.

Spend $20 on a Gymboss for interval training and be done with it. Or better yet do push ups, sit ups, ride a bike, or run/jog/walk for free. I just do not see how this thing is supposed to motivate you.

If I see another housewife or pseudo exercise junkie wearing one I'm going to scream.

There are allot of "wastes of money" out there.
Remember, not everyone has the discipline, so if someone can use motivation in the form of a gimmick, it just might get them going.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Duke4c

Apart from G-Shocks and mechanical watches, I use Garmin fitness watches (not fitness trackers, since my iPhone 6 already tracks my steps) and I just bought a Moto 360 smartwatch.

Quick answer: Fitness trackers are largely gimmicks. Walking 10k steps a day may not result in any weight loss. The secret to weight loss is just a healthy diet - you can actually lose weight without exercising or starving yourself. But exercise (at least 40min each time) helps you to lose weight faster.

Long answer:
Weight Loss: I wrote a short book on how to lose weight. It's just common sense, and doesn't require any drastic diet or exercise regimes. You can download it for free here. Anyone Can Lose Weight | Empty Vessel
Wearables: I just wrote a long blog post with my thoughts on wearables like the Moto 360. If you like tech, you'll love the Moto 360 despite all its flaws. It can only get better from here. Watching the Wearables | Empty Vessel

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a pebble smartwatch well make that 2 :)
One for weekend stuff and one for normal day wear.

The pebble is the best of the smartwatches IMO.
It has the most outstanding features to the rest:
battery 3-5days
more water proof
easier to read in the sun
being out longer than the others it has more apps.

It is b/w however while the rest are colour and touch.
Those 2 features kill battery life so for me the extra battery is worth it.

The pebble has support for jawbone and other fitness attachements but i dont use them.
I do use a sleep tracker which is useful to wake me up when i am most active thus I am not rudely awaken from deep sleep.

Gshock or Seiko on the left and pebble on the right wrist.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I've had a lot of Polars and finally got stuck to Garmin; the GPS is solid and the software online is great

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419357049.296796.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the GAW fishes. look me up if you ever get to Boston. I owe you a frosty.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Just to offer a differing opinion from some other posts -- I don't feel that the fitness trackers are 'gimmicks.' They do what they claim to do, and "can be" useful in motivating people to be more active. (as the Fitbit is for me) And no one can claim that increasing how many steps you walk each day or the number of stairs you climb is a bad thing. It's way better than sitting on one's behind much of the time!

Now, notice I did not say that a Fitness Tracker is 'necessary' to lose weight or to get fit, and they certainly won't work for everyone. But they are helpful for some people, like me. I'd wager that MANY people find them to be very very useful.

Were I to do my life over again, not sure if I'd pick a desk job. Yes, the work I do is interesting, I like it a lot, and it pays well -- but as they say, "sitting is the new smoking." Not good for a person to do that for the majority of the workday. I tend to concentrate intensely at the computer, and I forget to get up and move once in awhile. Need to be more aware of that..

And yeah, I know all about true fitness, was quite fit when I was younger, and did more than my fair share of aerobic conditioning, weight training, and stretching, covering the main pillars of strength, flexibility, and endurance. Studying martial arts for years will do that for you. So will rollerblading for 10-15 miles at a pop. So will climbing ridiculously rough, steep terrain carrying a shotgun, in the pursuit of game birds, which I used to do quite frequently. Normally that was in pursuit of the "winged thunder" bird known in Western Pennsylvania as the ruffed grouse, so named for how it sounds when it takes off from the ground --- which invariably happened JUST at the very moment I was doing my best imitation of the limbo (carrying a shotgun) trying to squeeze underneath a grapevine tangle, while avoiding the thorns and brambles that tended to be there also. They shouldn't call that "hunting" though -- especially without a dog -- they should just call it "climbing up and down some hills in the woods with a shotgun" -- cause most often, that's all I really ended up doing! o|o| lol

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
....They shouldn't call that "hunting" though -- especially without a dog -- they should just call it "climbing up and down some hills in the woods with a shotgun" -- cause most often, that's all I really ended up doing! o|o| lol
Good for your health, even better for the birds health, lol ;-)

cheers

·
Registered
708 Posts
Actually watches got me in to my workout and fitness regiment. I grabbed a Suunto Ambit (then an ambit 2) and I love technology and setting it up and using it. I loved seeing how many calories I burnt and how far I ran. I was BIG, I've lost 60 pounds this year alone since February. I ended up selling it eventually because the whole heart rate monitor belt deal was a hassle at times. I always had to have it or my readings wouldn't be as true, but I wore that amazing watch every where... I also have been wearing a Nike Fuelband SE for the year. Still have it and wear it 24/7. Charge one a week and a half or so. Just nice to see my most active hours etc. Another thing with the Ambit and this fuelband, once you track your workouts and daily life for about a month, it's all the same. So that was another reason I could live without the Ambit. The fuelband is almost like a game for me, meeting that fuel goal.

Hail to the King, baby.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
My youngest son is an Iron Man and has just bought a new Garmin Smart Watch. Does everything for the Triathlete but prepare supper for him
Certainly not my thing being "Old School". I wan't no watches that are smarter than me!!!
Oh BTW his new Garmin is pricey too. That also excludes me from owning one,
GShocks are smart enuff for me.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Update: Fishes actually sent me the fitbit. Nice GAW and thanks. I'm sending a little something back your way in the next day or two. Being that he is from Denver and I am from the Boston area, there is a big NFL rivalry. I could not stop laughing at the box which was littered with pro Broncos markings.

--steve

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't have a fitness watch. I probably won't get one.

I have the Casio DBC-1500 gratuitously pictured below. I guess it used to be considered a 'smartwatch', but probably isn't anymore.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've been a personal trainer for the last eight years and the whole fitness tracker watch trend drives me nuts. 90% of the people I see wearing them in the gym spend more time playing with their watch than actually working out. That said I have been considering the mio alpha 2.0 to wear on the opposite wrist of my trusty prw 3000. This particular watch has caught my eye because 1. I think it looks cool, and 2. It offers real time heart rate monitoring without a dopey chest strap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts