WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i was searching for good used car i found out most of the placed were looking only for one kind of customer - sucker.
If you know your hardware , know how much it will cost to put it back, how much it cost to buy new, how much it cost to dealership to buy what they sell to you and based on this knowledge you ask for fair deal.... your not their customer.

For past years i been looking on e-bay for good deals on very certain models as well as looking for whatever in general is out so i can get used one at fair price.

So far i was lucky to get few things but it's like 2d job and i am not sure if i was actually working all that time i spent looking i would of not found better outcome.
It's not like it all over the place but in under 100$ section and in specific models there is very little to gain unless you really patient.
Not to mention whole wave of fake goods. G-Shocks also not so much of the good deal to start with especially if you outside US. 10$ watch with 30-40$ shipping costs is not uncommon. So it makes it very close to getting new from amazon sans heavy damage and warranty if you do buy from amazon.

For sure it's always been sketchy for other categories ... like half of Tissot forum is dedicated to is my watch legit?

Thing i want to discuss what is next for us especially us who outside US.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Ebay is pretty much like all other forms of sales and commerce , ‘caveat emptor’, but obviously a bit more so. If I am unsure of product or account authenticity or am put off by inflated ‘shipping’ or ‘transaction costs’ , I just shut it down right then and there and do not make that purchase, sale or trade, judg69

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heavy damage from Amazon? What?
To be clear new watch from Amazon 60-70$ used and damaged watch from e-bay , shipping cost, fixing cost etc. often can be same 60-70$ or greater.
That's comparison in a gist.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
To be clear new watch from Amazon 60-70$ used and damaged watch from e-bay , shipping cost, fixing cost etc. often can be same 60-70$ or greater.
That's comparison in a gist.
Used and new the same price? Buy the new item, pretty simple really.

Not all things on eBay are good but some are...

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
I'm kinda confused about this thread. Everything involves shopping around. Yes, many things on fleabay are over priced, but the market sets value. If someone is willing to pay an inflated price then, hooray for the seller. If not, they will lower the price. Simple economics 101.

On Amazon alone you can find the exact same item at one price and at one that is, near double.

It's all a, matter of being an, informed consumer.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Key to eBay, at least for me, has always been to “buy the seller”....

How long on eBay?
Geographic location?
100% rating?
Shipping options?

No issues so far......

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Quality of seller and buyer seems to have slipped as big as it is these days. I closed my account at the beginning of this year. It seemed like I spent more time in disputes than I did making sales. It was an extra income stream but it became too much of a hassle.

Now almost all my deals are just personal watch deals anyway so I stick to forums for those deals. Much more relaxed.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It's insane. I had to shell out $65 and $5 shipping for this piece of crap two weeks ago! Freaking eBay.

IMG_1958.JPG

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Citizen in most cases very good deal. G-Shocks often not. for sure it's a market and for certain countries market is gone. That like main issue for me. why i need to pay boatload of taxes on used watch, exemplary high shipping cost not to mention going through 1000s of questionable items. It's waste of time.

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Then don't use it, or limit to your local area. There are filters.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Citizen in most cases very good deal. G-Shocks often not. for sure it's a market and for certain countries market is gone. That like main issue for me. why i need to pay boatload of taxes on used watch, exemplary high shipping cost not to mention going through 1000s of questionable items. It's waste of time.
How can we make this easier for you? Maybe a personal shopper, someone to whom you can give your criteria and they take it from there. I mean, clearly you have better things to do with your time?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I agree that good deals are harder and harder to find on ebay these days for various reasons, and yes living overseas only complicates it due to shipping, but you can still shop around and find some deals here and there. I heard a while back they were going to require all sellers to use their global shipping program. If they did that, I'd have to close my account. A $395 watch gets slapped with $250 worth of shipping fees...ridiculous. I have no idea how they calculate the fees for that service, but something is amiss. But yeah, just look elsewhere. I don't think anybody's first choice is ebay these days. No point in getting bent out of shape. There are still plenty of places to hunt!

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
If it's the watch I really want then I'll sometimes forego a high shipping price and put it down to part of the transaction. That isn't to say that I'll just pay out for any old price for shipping though!

I'm in the UK, so it obviously could cost more for shipping from outside where I am and that's normally fair enough. What I do find odd is the way that some sellers seem to be allowed to add extortionate shipping rates? When I list something on Ebay, there's normally a maximum rate I can apply depending on what the item is, size, weight, etc, so how certain items from abroad can have stupidly high shipping rates is beyond me! Maybe each country's Ebay platform allows different things?

The other part of this is the GSP, (Global Shipping Program), where Ebay seem to set their own rates for the buyer, which never seems to be a uniform amount, (in the same country I'm talking about), and usually fairly expensive too, plus they add on import tax where they need to. It's hard to know sometimes whether to use the GSP or go for a seller who uses their own country's postal services and take a gamble on getting stung for import tax this end or not.

Oh, the joys of being a G-Shock addict!!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Also some dodgy sellers manipulate the system, hence low product price and high shipping fee. They dont pay selling fees on the shipping cost.......unless thats changed! I dont sell that much , tend to buy more. But as said very well, buy the seller. Look into history, have they changed their trading name X amount of times. Lots of warning signs, not bullet proof though.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Also some dodgy sellers manipulate the system, hence low product price and high shipping fee. They dont pay selling fees on the shipping cost.......unless thats changed! I dont sell that much , tend to buy more. But as said very well, buy the seller. Look into history, have they changed their trading name X amount of times. Lots of warning signs, not bullet proof though.
Yes, they changed that a while back. You now pay on combined purchase and shipping.
The people who listed £1 with £99 shipping can be blamed for that.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shipping cost out of this world is still the thing.
waveceptor.jpg
If this establishment representative will drive to me it will be cheaper! Or fly.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Locals are catching the trend and set prices by e-bay and amazon so if i walk into pawnshop prices are ... drumbeat same. Yet no delivery fee required.
Deals are around by they very very rare. Even reasonable prices become scarce for G-Shocks in sub 100$.
I spent 1.5 years looking for certain timex "Stranger than fiction" because i was reluctant to pay 3-5 times MSRP on e-bay.
I found it local drove 2 hours one way and was happy camper. month later i found exact timex for mere 20$ in local second hand shop. My hysterical laugh made shop attendant look at me in very special way.
You can find deals but it's very tedious. plus i know for sure search function on e-bay not perfect. So even if it's on sale you can miss it with search.
World no perfect. Yet sometimes it way too much annoying.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts