WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching a couple of Gshock testing videos that YouTube randomly recommended. Suddenly had this thought :) for a bit of context for non-knife members, Cold Steel is a knife company that advertises their knife locking mechanism being the toughest there is and had tons of obnoxious testing videos on YouTube. Let’s just say they are not the most well respected brand in knife community, controversy even.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Could also be used in flashlight terms as G-Shock being the equivalent of a PowerTac Warrior Gen 3 tactical/EDC torch (there is a torture test on YouTube for one of them that is fairly full on, including the light being hit with shot from a shotgun).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,174 Posts
I dont think is comparable.
Cold Steel is unknown to the majority of the world public (heared about in this thread the first time).
From their website they look like a trade buisness rather then a manufacturer.
Casio is known to many people by Calculators, Watches, musical instruments and alike.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think is comparable.
Cold Steel is unknown to the majority of the world public (heared about in this thread the first time).
From their website they look like a trade buisness rather then a manufacturer.
Casio is known to many people by Calculators, Watches, musical instruments and alike.
Oh for sure. I LOVE G-Shock!

To me this thread is merely meant to poke a little fun and the resemblance was only referring to quite a number of abuse test videos to prove toughness, most beyond practical daily use of either tool.

And of course I think a fellow G+knife enthusiast that are more familiar with both brands would appreciate the joke better :)

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,174 Posts
Bloated advertisement is a joke, i agree! :)

Oh for sure. I LOVE G-Shock!

To me this thread is merely meant to poke a little fun and the resemblance was only referring to quite a number of abuse test videos to prove toughness, most beyond practical daily use of either tool.

And of course I think a fellow G+knife enthusiast that are more familiar with both brands would appreciate the joke better :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
There's a reason I stay off knife forums.

The amount of blow-hard that comes from knife people is like the stench coming from a port-a-potty on a hundred-degree day in the middle of a recently fertilized 4-H county fairground.

btw, Cold Steel is 1000x better than anything made by Mick Strider or Chris Reeve.

Did I just trigger someone? :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a few Cold Steel Knives, and they are excellent. Several of their models are the best in their class, at any price. You can say the same for many G-Shocks, as well. Any company which provides high quality, tough products that you can depend on, AND at reasonable prices, is to be lauded, in my book.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a few Cold Steel Knives, and they are excellent. Several of their models are the best in their class, at any price. You can say the same for many G-Shocks, as well. Any company which provides high quality, tough products that you can depend on, AND at reasonable prices, is to be lauded, in my book.
I owned two of them, one lawman and one mini recon 1. Loved them! Just not a big fan of their pig slicing cock fighting testing videos.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I owned two of them, one lawman and one mini recon 1. Loved them! Just not a big fan of their pig slicing cock fighting testing videos.
Agreed about those videos, LOL.

And talk to Lynn, will you, about making a recon half way in size between the recon 1 and the mini recon! Also, bring back the mini tuff lite...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have carried a Cold Steel Voyager pocket knife with a Tanto point in my pocket for over 20 years....it has been an excellent knife and has never failed me in anyway.

I always stick with what works for me...including my G-Shocks. :)

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
And I do have a serious question. I have always equated Cold Steel with Invicta in that both brands are pretty eccentric and esoteric. But, is Cold Steel a laughing stock in the knife world? Everything I know about watches points to Cold Steel being the Invicta of the knife world.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hahaha I've never made that connection. I suppose that both sell their products based on strength and durability; the difference is that what G Shock did is rooted in practicality and was revolutionary to the watch world. Cold Steel fixed a problem that no one had in a quality knife (breaking locks) and found a way to advertise it as if it was the next greatest thing. The ridiculous mall ninja advertising may have been necessary to get Cold Steel to where it is today, and they've certainly made great strides and toned down some of their product line into something more practical, but the early image they created for themselves has still stuck around. I think that's probably why people laugh at Cold Steel but not G Shock.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahaha I've never made that connection. I suppose that both sell their products based on strength and durability; the difference is that what G Shock did is rooted in practicality and was revolutionary to the watch world. Cold Steel fixed a problem that no one had in a quality knife (breaking locks) and found a way to advertise it as if it was the next greatest thing. The ridiculous mall ninja advertising may have been necessary to get Cold Steel to where it is today, and they've certainly made great strides and toned down some of their product line into something more practical, but the early image they created for themselves has still stuck around. I think that's probably why people laugh at Cold Steel but not G Shock.
I know the swine community is celebrating cold steel’s recent trends.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’ve always equated Cold Steel more with Armitron-type watches.
Disposable, horrible blade coatings, cheap (at least they were the last time I bought one)...

·
Registered
563 Posts
so to those guys who claimed that they carry knife in their everyday-carry

YOU ACTUALLY USE THE KNIFE?

for what? to look at ? or cutting apple for lunch? or having one changes the way you walk?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Honestly, I use mine for prying things as much as I do for cutting things. I know I shouldn’t but I do. Yes, I’ve broken a few.
That’s why I don’t carry high dollar knives.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
so to those guys who claimed that they carry knife in their everyday-carry

YOU ACTUALLY USE THE KNIFE?

for what? to look at ? or cutting apple for lunch? or having one changes the way you walk?
Mostly for the heck of it. I like having a good knife on me, the same as a good watch. Otherwise you're right, my knives mostly open envelopes, packages, cut plants etc. Hardly Crocodile Dundee stuff, but that never stopped me from liking them.

As for the original topic, I don't know enough about knife brands or knife forums to contribute. When I wanted a good knife I made a few searches and there seemed to be two definite recommendations: Benchmade and Spyderco. Went to the store, tried them both and definitely preferred Benchmade. Got one... and another one... and another one... (sigh).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts