WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also the size is smaller in these new models.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Smaller and also a bit faster to sync. Gives me hope that something in a more wearable size (for me) could show in a couple more years.

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I dumped my earlier 8X82 model as it was too big, impossible to get a comfortable bracelet fit, and its unsynched rate was around +140 SPY.

They have made an effort on the size issue, and the clasp now has a ratchet fine adjustment, like the Citizen GPS has had for a long time. My Citizen runs around +15.

Another generation or two and Seiko may be getting there.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Weight needs to come down, as well.
I don't think I've seen the weight, but it's presumably no more than the 8X82. Mine was 114g, about 2/3 the weight of the new VHP, and 10g heavier than my Citizen. Anything under 120g is for me a relatively light watch, so that was a feature I had no issues with.

·
Registered
36,300 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
These new models are an improvement on their prior models like the one reviewed in the Seiko forum. Size is a little smaller, band adjustment, and GS polishing are nice.

Technically added an auto adjust for DST, which saves the user from figuring this out as they travel, 2 syncs a day with the user determining when the watch will perform the second automatic sync, quicker sync speed, and of course the second time zone.

The reality is that you get all those features, plus a lot more in an Oceanus G2000 series watch and pay less. You get RX, RC, and BT, a chronograph, auto DST, and probably similar sync speed.

With Citizen you pay the least, get only 1 auto sync and no auto DST. But you do get the fastest sync speeds and a chronograph.

All will give you 2 time zones, decent WR, weigh about the same, similar in size, and 15 SPM accuracy. To me hard to justify the cost when casio is more sophisticated and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I have found the Astron syncs every day without fail. It even synced during heavy rain. I traveled through Europe and the watch setting was a cinch. I have had several citizen sat waves and I find the Astron performs better.

My primary reason for choosing a gps watch was our hit and miss radio reception in Australia.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Are you comparing list price vs. list price? All the Oceanus models I find for US purchase are gray market. Astrons gray market don't seem to be much different in price (and are much easier to find in good condition used for even less).

I won't comment much of the aesthetics (in my eye Seiko wins hands down) but in regards to finishing I have a hard time believing a Casio would beat a Seiko in that department.

These new models are an improvement on their prior models like the one reviewed in the Seiko forum. Size is a little smaller, band adjustment, and GS polishing are nice.

Technically added an auto adjust for DST, which saves the user from figuring this out as they travel, 2 syncs a day with the user determining when the watch will perform the second automatic sync, quicker sync speed, and of course the second time zone.

The reality is that you get all those features, plus a lot more in an Oceanus G2000 series watch and pay less. You get RX, RC, and BT, a chronograph, auto DST, and probably similar sync speed.

With Citizen you pay the least, get only 1 auto sync and no auto DST. But you do get the fastest sync speeds and a chronograph.

All will give you 2 time zones, decent WR, weigh about the same, similar in size, and 15 SPM accuracy. To me hard to justify the cost when casio is more sophisticated and cheaper.

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
Are you comparing list price vs. list price? All the Oceanus models I find for US purchase are gray market. Astrons gray market don't seem to be much different in price (and are much easier to find in good condition used for even less).

I won't comment much of the aesthetics (in my eye Seiko wins hands down) but in regards to finishing I have a hard time believing a Casio would beat a Seiko in that department.
Casio Oceanus line cases are made and finished under contract in the same factory has Grand Seiko and Credor line. The Casio case may actually be finished better than the Astron.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Well the new Astron isn't out yet but the cheapest one is about $2500 MSRP new. Since Oceanus isn't really sold in the US have to buy it from Japanese dealers direct or on Amazon. Can find a bunch of models at or below 2k or about the same price as the older Astron models. Citizen is around 1k price point.

Just me but as far as finish, the Oceanus models particularly the limited edition models that they showed at Basel the last two years, are far nicer than any Astron I've seen. Not going to get into the Oceanus coating process they use on the bezel on the blue one, but it is pretty sophisticated and stunning in execution.

To be fair Seiko claims these new models are the smallest and thinnest GPS models on the market (by a mm or 2) and the finish is well done, but as far as technology still playing catch up to Casio

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
One thing to note: Casio has dropped the entire Oceanus line in the US. It's all now in the Edifice line here. So you're gonna be looking at Japanese web sites or Amazon. Plus, make sure to check. The Oceanus line has RF only, GPS only, RF + GPS, GPS + Bluetooth, .......

·
Registered
886 Posts
Take a look also at Rakuten: there are a LOT of offers and very good prices - It's there I've bought my Oceanus and with a price a lot cheaper than the ones I've seen in Japan...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do we have any idea when these might hit stores? I live on the East Coast and it seems stores that also sell Grand Seiko are all expecting one of the limited edition but don't know when they'll get it.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do we have any idea when these might hit stores? I live on the East Coast and it seems stores that also sell Grand Seiko are all expecting one of the limited edition but don't know when they'll get it.
It should be in the Manhattan boutique, but I did not have time to stop there yesterday.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Perhaps people just don’t want ”oce” on their watch faces... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts