WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I know this is an OT, yet I am so angry that I wanted to vent a bit. Thus please forgive me...

Recently I decided to start wearing watches again as I have not done so in a long time (there is always a cell phone or PDA or clock around). When thinking of what kind of watch would be most useful to me I came upon the notion that one for work would be a calculator watch, especially if it had certain mathematical functions, and one would be a tough, all purpose piece. I ended up getting a vintage Pulsar calculator (circa 1979) watch for work and social events, and a G-shock for general use (model GW-056, even with the tough to use buttons :-D ).

Since the Pulsar is vintage the only place I know of to find a decent price one is on eBay. After getting a unit I found that, while it worked, some of the buttons were sunken in, making them a little hard to use. As such yesterday I took the watch to a jeweler to see if anything could be done.

Regretfully the jeweler ruined the fully functional vintage watch as he did not listen to me when I stated several times the watch worked but had some sunken buttons. He then told me that he would show me how to clean the watch as he said it would be good for me to know, but when he opened it the keypad simply fell apart. He blamed me for the mistake and proceeded to engage in an argument with me over responsibility (my comment that started all of this was something to the effect of "I should not have done that" or "I should not have let you do that"; I do not exactly recall as it was not meant to be accusatorial, just a comment). Yet during this I got so angry that I actually started shaking! And, even worse, I did not see what I could do in the matter. I am not a person interested in sueing anyone. And, further, sue him over a $80 old watch? That would not make any sense.

I found this all to be very unreasonable in my opinion, and he would not even let me finish any sentence during this event, which only further got me angry. Now I have a nonfunctional old watch. O| This is too bad as I went out of my way to go to his shop based on reviews I saw. I would NOT recommend the shop, nor will I return. <|

A suppose on a positive note, the jeweler was kind enough not to charge me with a watch-strap adjustment even though I tried twice to pay him for his time/work (regardless of the fact that I was angry at his ruining one of my watches).

Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. :thanks

·
Banned
3,776 Posts
Not a problem Santeh and sometimes it good to release your stressO|

I've also been caught with a few Calculators of EBay.. It's also a big hobby in Japan.

I love those old LED type that take me back to my Sydney University daysB-)

I think it was when I was around 16 years old, that schools just started to let students use calculators in the classroom.. That was a real bonus:-D

B

·
0 Posts
Santeh, it is so frustrating, I know, when there's nothing you can do and all your best efforts seem wasted. I think almost everyone here on the fourm has a story like your own (whether repair, shipping or eBay nightmares), so we appreciate what you are going through and how upsetting it is.

I once took a Citizen Navihawk in for a new crystal and to repair a sticking button, estimated fees <$50. They changed the entire module (without my permission) and tried to charge me $200 for it (it was only a $300 watch!). After a lot of heated discussion they did cut the fee by half, but it was very upsetting for me how such a tiny repair could mushroom into a new watch!

Take heart. Sometimes these things just happen and we swollow hard and move on. Best of luck in your future efforts!!!!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,568 Posts
Hi Santeh and Buddha,

Sad stories. The only thing I ever had was a casio deales that claimed the worse button control was due to the model, while a small inspection at home learned all buttlons were under the lips in stead of on them.

I hope it stays with just once such an experience...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
554 Posts
When I got engaged to my wife about 12 years ago of course I bought her a ring. She wanted to get me something so I suggested a watch. We chose a seiko dive watch with the rotating bezel thinh as you'd expect. Then the lady in the jewellers suggested she take a link out of the bracelet to make it fit better. She made a real mess of it with pliers so took the next link out as well as it was now scratched due to her clumsiness. Then she tried to polish the bezel with metal polish which promptly took the paint out of the numbers on the rotating dial. At this point I just said 'no thanks' and we walked out leaving them with a totally knackered seiko and a pile of strap bits on the counter !!! HA HA HA Ho HO HO HEE HEE HEE :-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

This is why I never let other people touch my stuff not ever, if I can't do it it doesn't need done.....

PS perhaps that is why my house and car is in such a bad state eh?;-)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hello carrot:

Great piece of Scottish wisdom!:-!

I am always amazed by some of the people who are employed at jewelry stores. No idea what they are doing and they couldn't case less about watches. Just make the sale and get the money.

I always do my own bracelet adjustment and battery changes.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,568 Posts
Mike Hogan said:
I am always amazed by some of the people who are employed at jewelry stores. No idea what they are doing and they couldn't case less about watches. Just make the sale and get the money.
Hi Mike,

You didn't even mention the 16 y.o. schoolgirls with their weekend job in a department store changing batteries.... I won't trust any G there.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Sjors said:
Mike Hogan said:
I am always amazed by some of the people who are employed at jewelry stores. No idea what they are doing and they couldn't case less about watches. Just make the sale and get the money.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike,

You didn't even mention the 16 y.o. schoolgirls with their weekend job in a department store changing batteries.... I won't trust any G there.

Cheers,

Sjors
Hello Sjors:

How true! The sad thing is that people take very nice watches to some of those places and the clerks ruin them. Once I actually saw a clerk try and force a new battery into a Timex UPSIDE DOWN!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi Mike,

Cheers,

Sjors
A friend of mine owned a watch store until two of these department stores opened up right next to him and stomped him out of business. Not a day went by when he wasn't fixing the mess they made out of peoples' watches and doing repairs they couldn't even start.

Some people are not wired to repair anything. I was swapping batteries since the third grade. I'm a natural.

I have seen very old watches become brittle, especially if they've been to these department stores for a manglin' er... I mean "battery change".

·
Registered
207 Posts
santeh said:
Hello all,

I know this is an OT, yet I am so angry that I wanted to vent a bit. Thus please forgive me...

Recently I decided to start wearing watches again as I have not done so in a long time (there is always a cell phone or PDA or clock around). When thinking of what kind of watch would be most useful to me I came upon the notion that one for work would be a calculator watch, especially if it had certain mathematical functions, and one would be a tough, all purpose piece. I ended up getting a vintage Pulsar calculator (circa 1979) watch for work and social events, and a G-shock for general use (model GW-056, even with the tough to use buttons :-D ).

Since the Pulsar is vintage the only place I know of to find a decent price one is on eBay. After getting a unit I found that, while it worked, some of the buttons were sunken in, making them a little hard to use. As such yesterday I took the watch to a jeweler to see if anything could be done.

Regretfully the jeweler ruined the fully functional vintage watch as he did not listen to me when I stated several times the watch worked but had some sunken buttons. He then told me that he would show me how to clean the watch as he said it would be good for me to know, but when he opened it the keypad simply fell apart. He blamed me for the mistake and proceeded to engage in an argument with me over responsibility (my comment that started all of this was something to the effect of "I should not have done that" or "I should not have let you do that"; I do not exactly recall as it was not meant to be accusatorial, just a comment). Yet during this I got so angry that I actually started shaking! And, even worse, I did not see what I could do in the matter. I am not a person interested in sueing anyone. And, further, sue him over a $80 old watch? That would not make any sense.

I found this all to be very unreasonable in my opinion, and he would not even let me finish any sentence during this event, which only further got me angry. Now I have a nonfunctional old watch. O| This is too bad as I went out of my way to go to his shop based on reviews I saw. I would NOT recommend the shop, nor will I return. <|

A suppose on a positive note, the jeweler was kind enough not to charge me with a watch-strap adjustment even though I tried twice to pay him for his time/work (regardless of the fact that I was angry at his ruining one of my watches).

Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. :thanks
You might be in luck as I am my dad passed down his 1975 Pulsar LED to me some time ago. It seems typical jewlery stores (even the one that sold the watch to my dad) are ignorant on how to peform repairs or battery replacements on a Pulsar LED (Time Computer Co.) watch. I had the store that sold the watch to my dad 20 years earlier cross-thread the gold back onto the watch body! HOWEVER, and extremely reputable watch company just also happens to be located in my hometown, too. Parsec specializes in vintage Pulsar among numerous other watch repairing: http://www.parsecent.com/home1.htm Give them a call.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm new here.

First of all,let me introduce myself.I am a huge G-Shock fan myself but I only own 1 G (was studying in college,just graduated a few months ago).My 1st & only G is the G-2800.However,I've had countless problems with it.As most of you already know,there's quite a number of models which use the CTL1616 solar batteries,right?My problems included going into recovery modes for no appearant reasons,when pressing d EL button,it would barely lit up & went into recovery mode as well,and worst of all is when the watch suddenly lose all it's power and went totally blank,only to re-display the time again after a few hours!However,I would have to reset the times each time this happen!Not to mention the lost of Telememo data in the watch.

I've sent it in for warranty twice.The watch would work flawlessly for a few months(2-3 months),then the same problem would occur again.During the 1st warranty,the solar battery was found to be defective & was replaced.Then,when I sent it in for 2nd service,the PCB & solar battery were replaced.It performed flawlessly for 2 months or so.Then,the same problems as above occured but this time the data were not lost & I didn't have to reset the time.However,I did encounter fogging issues when hiking up a mountain,etc.I couldn't send it in for service that time cause I was in the UK for my studies.

I recently sent it in for service the 3rd time (warranty expired).The service centre again claimed the solar battery is at fault.Then,they suggested a replacement watch at discounted price as good will.This is when all hell break loose.They tried to charge me for a lower end model as replacement,not to mention the price is only slightly cheaper than retail price.When I told them how I felt,they said they will looked into other models.This time they came up with a few models,at reasonable prices,however,only 1 model is higher-end than my G-2800.It was the MTG700 series.However I do not like the design,and felt it was a very old model.

Last week,they came up with a new model for me.It's the MTG911-dms-2v.Well,this model is nearly the same as the MI3 model (MTG010-DJ).It does come with MI3 engraving on the case.However,it doesn't hv the atomic time function.To me,it's ok cause we do not have the centre here in Malaysia.I would like to know whether this model is a Limited Edition.I doubt it cause if it's limited they wouldn't be able to offer me at discounted price.

The MTG911-dms-2v retails for RM799.My G-2800 retailed for RM399.They decided to offer me a special price (around 13% off the retail price for MTG911-dms-2v) but I felt cheated.O| In my humble opinion,I should just let them service my G-2800,and buy a MTG911 later.In short,I would have 2 watches in the end instead of the MTG911 only.Not to mention the hefty price tag for a replacement model as a show of goodwill!O|

Anybody cares to help me with this?

Thanks,
MountainMike

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,568 Posts
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum. I'm very sorry to hear about your 2800. Actually you are the first reporting the CLT1616 problem on this model. We have heard them before on GW-300's and G-5600's. The problems seems to be a batch of defective batteries of Panasonic. It looks like your G-2800 has been serviced by batteries of the same batch...

I believe the MTG-910/911 models look good. If there is a print of MI:3 engraving is on the back, you can considder it a limited edition model. Remember that limited edition means the watch is produced for a certain time. This can be a few days or months. Since I have seen a lot of MI:3 models around lately, I think this ltd. ed. model is at the moment not rare, but can become one (Like my red jelly Frogman's).

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi Sjors,

Glad to see your reply here.

Yes,the MTG911-dms-2v is indeed very nice looking.I've attached the picture here.I am not so sure about the status of the watch,i.e. whether it's limited edition or not.I mean the MTG911-DJ is limited to 678 pcs worldwide,right?The MTG911-DJ is cased in Japan whereas the MTG911-dms-2v is cased in Thailand.

So should I just have my G-2800 serviced and get a new watch later?The service centre dare not guarantee that the same problem won't occur again.O| I was hoping to take this opportunity to upgrade to a higher end model but the price that I need to pay is plain unreasonable.O|

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,568 Posts
MountainMike said:
O| I was hoping to take this opportunity to upgrade to a higher end model but the price that I need to pay is plain unreasonable.O|
Hi Mike,

I totally agree with you. I wouldn't have much faith in my watch if it has to be serviced for a 2nd time again, while it's solar...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi Sjors,

Actually this is the 3rd time the watch has been sent in for service.They said they are willing to service my watch free of charge but there's no guarantee the same problem won't occur again..O| Not to mention the fact that the watch fogged up after second service.O|

What do I do?Contact Casio Japan is my last option.:think:

Cheers,
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts