WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Just finished Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. Been a long time since I enjoyed sci-fi so much.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rocket1991

·
Registered
550 Posts
One Year After by William Forstchen. Recently finished One Minute After, same author. Both about life after an EMP terrorist attack on US (and Europe). Highly recommended.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I recently finally finished a Stephen King book, Pet Semetary. I've tried reading his novels in the past, but for some reason, I would stop partway. I enjoyed this one a lot because the novel takes an expectedly dark turn, which is well-earned. In this context, the book is far superior to the movie that was recently released. The pacing in the movie is rushed and lacks the gradual tension of King's novel.

I'm also reading Storyworthy by Matthew Dicks. The author discusses techniques for improving one's ability to tell stories on stage. While I don't plan on performing anytime soon, I want to be able to tell more compelling, vivid stories to the people around me. I'm practicing one technique that he calls "Homework for life." It's a practice that involves capturing a phrase or a short sentence each day about subtle, transformative moments in life that could be developed into full stories. These moments can involve something as simple as walking the dog and how that experience relates to an earlier time in life.

I haven't been reading as often as I should be, though. I hope to reach a goal of 25 or so books by the end of the year.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently finally finished a Stephen King book, Pet Semetary. I've tried reading his novels in the past, but for some reason, I would stop partway. I enjoyed this one a lot because the novel takes an expectedly dark turn, which is well-earned. In this context, the book is far superior to the movie that was recently released. The pacing in the movie is rushed and lacks the gradual tension of King's novel.

I'm also reading Storyworthy by Matthew Dicks. The author discusses techniques for improving one's ability to tell stories on stage. While I don't plan on performing anytime soon, I want to be able to tell more compelling, vivid stories to the people around me. I'm practicing one technique that he calls "Homework for life." It's a practice that involves capturing a phrase or a short sentence each day about subtle, transformative moments in life that could be developed into full stories. These moments can involve something as simple as walking the dog and how that experience relates to an earlier time in life.

I haven't been reading as often as I should be, though. I hope to reach a goal of 25 or so books by the end of the year.
Storyworthy sounds like good read. I been lately staring into abyss of "positive career change" and ability to tell good story seem to be like essential part of success.I will look it up in local library.
I loved Terry Pratchett and his ability to find these right story telling brilliants.

·
Registered
186 Posts
plus one. just got stuck in earlier this week. gave me the jibblies. had to stop reading until partner got home.
IMG_0150.jpg

annoyingly inadvertently included a second attachment, hadn't yet set the stage when i took this one, it's lacking in ominous chiaroscuro ;) now can't delete it, sorry!

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
So far it's riveting. A deep dive into the human condition. A real page-turner. :-d

IMAG0926.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts