WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help

Want to thin the herd as I am not wearing some of them and I want to use the money elsewhere

Which one I should I let go

Rolex explorer II.

JLC master compressor

Both are more for wearing with a suit as I tend to wear a panerai or big pilot on the weekend.

PRO,s for Rolex

Great finish and my favourite rolex. Well executed, love the orange hand, good movement, like Gmt function (although not much use as it don't wear it a lot)

PRO,s for JLC

Great finish, great movement, great dress watch, not as common as rolex, great high level brand. No longer in production

Brutally honest thoughts welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
First of all, I want to say that I love Rolex and J-LC. Between the two, I would shift the Jaeger. I've always found the Compressor chronos to look a little too busy for my liking. If it were the diver, then I'd almost be as indecisive as you right now, but the chrono is the one I would sell if I were in your shoes.
As for the ExpII, I'm not crazy about the white-dialled version, but I can understand why it makes sense, since it ties in with the whole Arctic vibe that this watch gives off.
And, I daresay that the Rolex will hold it's value better the longer you keep it. Comes in handy for travel too.
Keep the Rolex, sell the Jaeger.
Like that meerkat with the Russian accent says; "Seemples!"

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm with Joe, sell them both. I'd be putting the cash to the new De Ville Tresor when it comes out later this year.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Here is what I think,

Rolex- so many out there that you could buy one probably 10 years from now and not notice a "lack" of these explorer models out there.

JLC- love the look of it :D and I usually hate leather straps/anything braclet combo works for me, but this one looks awesome.

Depending on the reasons for you selling, If it was something serious (health etc) then I'd sell both and use any excess funds as a safety buffer.

If it is something like "paying off bills, mortgage etc" I'd sell the Rolex, everyone wants one and you'll always find a buyer. JLC is a bit more obscure and might take a longer time to sell :(

If it is just for the pure reason to buy something else, (ie better watch, car etc) then I'd say wait and save up a bit, sometimes a newer/cooler model comes out and you wish you'd have waited :D for it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
What else do you have in your collection? I'd probably keep the one which gives greater diversity. That said, my gut tells me I'd keep the Master Compressor.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like both watches. But if I had to let one go, it would be the Rolex. I think JLC has the better name, and the Master Compressor works slightly better as a dress watch than the Explorer II (considering you mentioned you wear both with a suit). I don't consider the Explorer II to be a dress watch at all, although the Master Compressor isn't exactly a dress watch either. I just think it works a little better in that roll. I do agree with the statement to buy the new DeVille. Now that's a lovely dress watch! At the end of the day, both of those watches are quite nice, and I'm sure it will be tough to let one (or both?) go. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm not really a Rolex guy but the Polar Explorer is one piece that I probably would wear if I ever went down that road. I really admire JLC, though not particularly the Master Compressor line.
It sounds like you already have a couple of go to watches for more casual wear (Panerai and Big Pilot) and you use the Rolex and JLC for more dressy (suit) or formal settings. I'm not sure if you already have a true dress watch (these two probably aren't traditionally thought of like that) or would just like to have a more versatile watch that possesses a bit of formality but can also cross over some (maybe something like a master calendar?). I tend to agree with some of the previous posts here, if you are already considering selling either, may as well consider selling both for something that you really want.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Start with the JLC - it's the one that will look more dated sooner, and it's value will decline more quickly. Plus it's more expensive to service. The Rolex is closer to money in the bank.

But I would think about selling both - no sense holding onto something you're not in love with.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
To me, the more interesting one is the JLC because I don't see it around as much. Why not try getting some new nato's or leather straps to change the look?

Chibatastic

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice

Comments

I will be able to sell both

Yes the jlc is not a dress watch in the truest sense of the word but I know I would not wear a plain 3 handed dress watch even though I like them to look at. It has a polished case, leather strap and is under 42mm so has some of the dress watch elements

I was told by rolex in Australia that a service is close to 2k. I don't need to service for at least 5 years. The jlc won't need a service for about the same

I want to buy a fancy coffee machine and grinder so need at least 3k. Not a necessary purchase but would rather flip something I am not in love with to get something I think I would

Don't really want to sell both as there is nothing else out there that grabs me and worry that I will fritter away the money and then it will be hard to get it back. Flipping is easy when changing for another piece. Harder to find funds from scratch

Other watches are

1st gen PO. Wedding present from wife so will never sell

IWC Big pilot. Love it so won't sell

Panerai 372. Love it so won't sell

321 speedy. Like it and a classic so won't sell.

Vintage Omega geneve. Grandfathers watch so won't sell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
In that case the rolex for me would be the one to go, I prefer the look of the JLC, I just thought something like the JLC calender would be a better choice hence sell both. But if only wanting to sell one then Rolex it would be, just think they still look toyish (even though many like it on here) were the JLC look well made solid piece.

P.S cant believe Liverpool drew with crystal palace, gutted, just hope Man city slip up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's not just about watches - it's about you.

I think you should sell both, because you are not committed to either.

That'll leave you with 5 and you may find that the total joy of ownership
may actually increase. If not, try selling another.

When the right watch for you comes along, you'll know it.

All the best!

John

·
Registered
474 Posts
Tough call, as I am a fan of the white-dialed explorer, but it would be the one with the criteria you mentioned, especially in the second post. Mainly because I feel the JLC is a more fitting "dress" watch.

On that note, if it were me, I would sell both and get the coffee maker and a IWC Portuguese Chrono. Gives you the chrono functions of the JLC, but with the more dress watch appearance, not as busy as the JLC. Just my $0.10

Best of luck with your decision.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts