WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Citizen Promaster Tough PMT56-2711, which I found while browsing through Katsu Higuchi's website--http://www.higuchi-inc.com/pertetual-land2.html

It seems to have just about all of the qualities/features that I could hope for in a watch: reliable Eco-Drive, Duratect ti case and bracelet, sapphire crystal(very slightly domed), perpetual calendar, and power save.

Before I hit the "Place Order" button, could anyone here please tell me if Citizen(or Seiko) makes any other currently available models which share the same feature set? I'm not a diver(haven't even been in a pool in a couple of years!), nor a pilot, so I wouldn't need any of the mission specific features of those watch types. I'm just looking for a high quality, good looking, "set it and forget it" all-rounder watch.

Thanks, ahead of time, for any helps or comments that you could provide.

Take care,

Geoff

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Promaster you're considering is a cool watch. I recently picked up a Citizen almost solely because it had "all the fixins" - model# PMV56-2762, a.k.a. BL5194-52L. Like the one you're looking at it, it's a Duratect model with a sapphire crystal, eco-drive, power save, perpetual calendar - but it also has a chrono and alarm, and a 24-hour subdial that can be set to another time zone. There's very little it doesn't do (I have to check the manual to see if it washes dishes or does laundry). The one possible downside is that it's a somewhat unusual style; I wasn't in love with it when I first saw it (as I mentioned, I bought it mostly because of the feature set). But it's grown on me, and I think I'll probably hang on to it. I will say that it's probably the single most comfortable watch I own (by virtue of the lightweight Ti, bracelet design, and somewhat smaller case size - 39mm).

My pic is terrible, but that's a blue face (almost a purplish blue). There's also a black face version (BL5194-56E).

I also just got an Air Diver that has most of the same specs as the Promaster you're considering (eco-drive, duratect Ti) - minus the perpetual calendar, but with the addition of a GMT hand. That one's definitely more of a diver. I still need to snap some pics of it.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool watch, MaxPower, and thanks for your comments! Is the Air Diver that you've just obtained one of these(courtesy of Higuchi's site)--http://www.higuchi-inc.com/56-2811.html

What I've found curious about these two models is that on at least one Asian merchant's site, it says that these models aren't Duratect finished. Higuchi-san doesn't list Duratect as a feature, either, but you can see the word "Duratect" on the back case pic. And I think I've read on one of the forums that, with some of the Citizen watch models, depending on where they're manufactured, sometimes they're finished with Duratect, and sometimes they're not...? My apologies if I'm totally off on this....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cool watch, MaxPower, and thanks for your comments! Is the Air Diver that you've just obtained one of these(courtesy of Higuchi's site)--http://www.higuchi-inc.com/56-2811.html

What I've found curious about these two models is that on at least one Asian merchant's site, it says that these models aren't Duratect finished. Higuchi-san doesn't list Duratect as a feature, either, but you can see the word "Duratect" on the back case pic. And I think I've read on one of the forums that, with some of the Citizen watch models, depending on where they're manufactured, sometimes they're finished with Duratect, and sometimes they're not...? My apologies if I'm totally off on this....
I thought about that model, but that's not the one I ended up purchasing; it's this one:

As you can see, this one has a GMT hand.

I'm sure if the watch says Duratect on the back, then it's got a Duratect finish. That said, I know that many models seem to have two separate part numbers (i.e. the one I posted above can be found under both PMX56-2742 and BJ9104-56L). It could be that even those models look identical, the features might differ. So maybe PMX56-2811, as posted on Higuchi's site, has Duratect - but its alternate part number cousin (BJXXXX-XX) does not. I don't know, I'll try to look into it.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the trigger!

Hi--

Thanks for all of your helpful comments! :-!

I've been corresponding with Seiya-san, and have just placed an order for a PMT56-2713. It's no longer in production, as most of you know, but Seiya-san informed me that he can get it...so I pulled the trigger! :-D

Here are some pics of the 2713, courtesy of Jayhawk's watch pic site:
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/citizen/PMT56-2713.html

'Can't wait for its arrival!

This is a wonderful and helpful forum! :thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: Pulled the trigger!

Hi--

Thanks for all of your helpful comments! :-!

I've been corresponding with Seiya-san, and have just placed an order for a PMT56-2713. It's no longer in production, as most of you know, but Seiya-san informed me that he can get it...so I pulled the trigger! :-D

Here are some pics of the 2713, courtesy of Jayhawk's watch pic site:
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/citizen/PMT56-2713.html

'Can't wait for its arrival!

This is a wonderful and helpful forum! :thanks

Congratulations. It's a cool watch. Very simple, clean, and nearly bulletproof. Enjoy it. |>

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I definitely "don't got game" when it comes to taking macro shots with my Panasonic Lumix FZ15(any suggestions for an easy P&S with closer-up macro?)...but, here's a shot, anyway, of my new PMT56-2713. I haven't sized the bracelet, yet...I could use an unbent paper clip, but thought I'd better wait for the bracelet sizing tool that I've ordered through the PMWF....

Thanks again for all of your help! I'm so glad that I've found this great forum... :-!

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a Promaster ' Land' why don't you try the New models out
http://watch-tanaka.sub.jp/citizen/PMD56-2863/
|>
Wow, that has now become my grail watch! It has the few features I really want in my next watch (Eco-Drive, Atomic, easy to read, titanium, good size for me). Unfortunately, I live in the States and it appears the radio setting feature of this watch only works in Japan. I wonder if it will ever be available US-spec?

|>|>|> indeed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts