WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have never been a friend of the outer AR coatings, and i was very delighted when i heard that the new SMP 300 re issue has only the inner AR coating. Anyway, i was very surprised when i saw today that my 2 weeks old SMPc has a lot of small scratches in the outer Ar coating, even i have used my watch carefully. So, i made my decision, and took the outer AR away with the Autosol polishing paste and my dremel tool.
Now my watch is like it should be in the first place. I am sure that everybody do not agree with me :)
regards, Tapio

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
After 5 years my PO still has a flawless AR and I wear it ALOT. That said, I too had concerns when I purchased it knowing it was potential weak spot. I was/am fully prepared to remove my outer AR when/if it gets damaged to the point it bothers me. My Rolex has no AR, my Panerai has inside AR, and my PO has AR on both sides. I am convinced the AR is durable enough as long as it is cleaned when wet and soap and never wiped when its dry.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Been there. I had to remove the ar coating from my 8500 PO due to marks. I do like how the crystal vanishes when new, but the inevitable marking to the ar drive me nuts. Aside from replacing the crystal there's no other remedy other than removing it, it's a little frustrating. The obvious downside is the added glare, but it beats honing in the marks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks nice good job

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Well done!

I have owned multiple Omegas (too many to list ) over the last 3 years and many either had marks on exterior AR or didn’t had it (removed by previous owner). I’m with you in saying exterior AR is too fragile, probably that is why Rolex, Panerai and other higher end watch manufacturers don’t use it. My recently sold PO 40mm somehow got a swirl and had the exterior AR removed by a watchmen; it looked great without it so think there is no major loss in not having it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts