WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watches you don't wear....

It has been a while since I have participated in the forum. After some reflection, I have made the decision to move out a number watches in my collection that I emotionally love, but practically do not spend much time on my wrist due to the realities of my lifestyle choices. Perhaps renewing ones Jewelers Mutual policy brings this into focus.

I find that both my AP Royal Oak Selfwinding (15400T.OO.1220ST.02) and my Ro
lex Submariner Date (116610LN) spend far more time on my wrist...

...than my either my Breguet Classique (5177BR/29/9V6) or Patek Phillippe Gondolo (5124G).

Watches you wear, but don't find horologically interesting...

I also happen to have two lower-end watches that also do get some wrist time; a Chronoswiss Timemaster (CH2852-55) and a Sinn Pilot Chronograph Testaf EZM 10 (950.011). In reflection, the reason I wear these two watches is they are sporty, I like the black look and lume of the Timemaster and the robust case and Chonograph functions of the EZM 10. Both watches are also swimmable.

The search for what's next...

So I decided to move out all four of these watches and see if there was a third watch to wear in rotation with the AP and Rolex.

I began to look for a chronograph that was sporty, had a robust case, water resistance and was also of some horological interest. I also was thinking that dark case, but instead of DLC like the Chronoswiss, I would look at forged carbon, ceramic and ceramic alloy case options. This presented me with chronograph options from Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Girard-Perregaux, Hublot, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Officine Panerai and Omega.

The culling down of options...

The Hublot used a modified ETA 7750 and was not of horological interest. The AP and GP options used base automatic calibres with Dubois-Depraz chronograph modules. I could forgive GP at its price point, but not AP for what they went for. The Omega and Panerai had a nice movements but were 16.5 mm and 18.5 mm thick respectively (too thick for me). That left the options being offered from both Blancpain and JLC to evaluate. They are comparably priced watches.

Deciding between two options...

Both the BP and JLC had case diameters that were not obscenely large (BP=43.0 mm and JLC=44.0 mm). Both also had swimmable water resistance (BP=300m and JLC=100m). The BP chronograph pushers can also operate at full WR depth. The JLC case (Cermet) is a aluminum/ceramic alloy with a ceramic coating with a stainless steel bezel with an anodized aluminum insert. The BP had a brushed ceramic case with a stainless steel bezel with a ceramic insert with liquid metal numerals/indices. Both have tri-compax register layouts with the BP having a date window and the JLC with a chronograph operation window. The BP had a display case back and the JLC did not. The lug distance is also slightly shorter on the BP.

Both had integrated column wheel chronograph movements and were relatively thin (BP=15.25 mm and JLC=14.5 mm). The JLC Calibre 758, runs at 28,800 vph and had 65 hour power reserve. The BP had a new Calibre F385 introduced at Baselworld last year (a bit of a risk), a high-beat 36,000 vph flyback movement with a 50 hour power reserve. The JLC movement has been out from some years (good) and the BP only a year or two (caution to work out issues).

So in summary, the BP won out in 7 out of the 10 categories.

Case Diameter: Winner = BP
Case Thickness: Winner = JLC
Lug Distance: Winner = BP
Case Material: Winner = BP
Water Resistance: Winner = BP
Bezel Ruggedness: Winner = BP
Case Back: Winner = BP
Dial Layout: Winner = JLC (no date)
Movement Specs: Winner = BP
Movement Maturity: Winner = JLC

The decision...

The watch arrives on Wednesday....

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I had the steel JLC DSC and now wear the Blancpain. You made the right choice. The Bathyscaphe may never leave my wrist. It's awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Outgoing & Incoming...

A very thoughtful decision making process leads to a wise choice. I can predict how the stellar trio compete one another for the wrist time!

Congrats on going full sport mode!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...I hope so...|>

I had the steel JLC DSC and now wear the Blancpain. You made the right choice. The Bathyscaphe may never leave my wrist. It's awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fargo

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Congrats on your incoming Blancpain!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Excellent choice!

I recently had similar horological meanderings and came to the same conclusion :) although I do not have 4 watches to flip to fund such an aquisition. Such a beautifully finished movement on a diver with display back case, and Chronograph Buttons that work underwater too ... sigh

I look forward to a full review with lots of Pics

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well thought out and documented process, with some tough decisions that require some honesty with oneself. It serves as a good reminder to us all that we all should buy what we like and wear, as opposed to what would we "should" buy to have an hypothetical "ideal" collection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts