WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know my title isn't the most appropriate out there. Let me attempt to explain.

I just turned 30 and have been wanting a new watch. My last purchase (and most expensive in the watch world yet) was a Victorinox Summit XLT. Not a bad watch per se, just..uninspiring, really. I kind of want a more upscale every day watch, something that when looking at it makes me think, "Damn, that's a nice watch.." I was looking at watches on the 'net and my girlfriend peeks over and informs me she's going to FL for business. She then stated there's an outlet she's going to which has a TAG outlet. I got excited and started thinking about which I wanted her to scoop for me. Then I started thinking, "I don't even know A: if TAG's are worth the asking price (I know to some they aren't and yes, I know I'm in a TAG forum :p) B: all TAG watches seem to look like the Victorinox and are a lot more money and C: How much of a discount are we really talking here at this outlet?

So I suppose my question is one born from lack of knowledge. I don't know what these watches are supposed to cost and which one has the better movements etc. Sorry, I'm a watch noob, really! I want a high end everyday watch and feel like treating myself, but am not looking to spend 5k on one, though nor do I want a cheap solution (ala the Victorinox) and then buy more watches to fill that gap all over again. I was looking at the aviation style ones before 'she' barged in and ruined all my ideas :D I actually like that style just a smidge better than the diver style as they all look vaguely similar to my eyes, just ordinary.

I have my money hell bent on a Hamilton Khaki. I think that is a nice looking watch personally. But I also want that watch that I can dress up or down but just don't know what else is out there for the same price I'd get this 'discounted' TAG for. I have relatively small wrists as well and don't need a HUGE watch dangling off my wrist like a brick either. I need some guidance from the pros.

Thanks everyone! Don't be too harsh! :-x

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
The TAGHeuer Outlets discount watches. Often 30%. For that you get a new watch from TAGHeuer itself.

Is it worth it? Well, almost all my buys are used where 30% off list is way too expensive. But I have a different utility curve than most buyers.

We all have different ways of calculating worth. Personally I think a Patek Phillippe is worth $35,000... but I have friends who would never pay more than $75 for a watch because none are worth more than that to them.

I gave my daughter a wonderful vintage Heuer diver. And I gave her a Victorinox diver. She always wears the Victorinox... much to her father's unvoiced chagrin :-d She has a different utility curve than I... such is life.

Spend some time researching and reading before you buy. Informed buys are better enjoyed!

Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would agree w EEB, when you start shelling big bucks out for a watch you need to find a grail, then search for that... outlet or no outlet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What a...what a nice thoughtful post! I do agree we all have different ways of calculating worth. I sort of see TAG as the quartz designer watches, an entry level diving board before one gets to the high-dive eventually. But then, is that so bad?

The way I look at it, I'll have 4-5 really nice watches by the time I'm done buying. But I do want only that many. Some, I know, have many times more than that. I wish to cover most of my bases, (daily, dress, second daily, etc.) but fear that I'll grow tired of my choices and these choices aren't like buying that bag of chips at the store. Many much money being invested here..(at least, to ME. My pockets at this age aren't quite as deep as some here) I like timeless designs because I won't feel as obligated to buy buy buy different watches and instead invest in a few key pieces. Did anyone find buying that 'first' one scary because they weren't sure they'd appreciate the choice later down the road?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you like the watch by Tag, and feel comfortable to pay the price for it then by all mean go for it.
I know some people judge watches by brands, but for me it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
If all TAGHeuer look like that Victorianox to you then you are only looking at one model line, one which that Victorianox is imitating by the way.

From what I gather, you are on a limited budget, which does explain why you are looking at what is essentially the entry line of the manufacturer.

My advice is to find something you like the look of irrespective of brand. Name a price and I'm sure we can all reel out recommendations from any number of manufacturers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you looking for a Formula 1? This I would not pay the premium for the Heuer, much nicer looking quartz and automatic watches can be had for less money from brands like Hamilton or Tissot. If you really want a TAG Heuer, take a look at the Carrera or the Aquaracer lines, these both feature an attractive case design with many equally attractive dials to choose from. In the case of the latter, yes, I feel the watches are worth the asking price while being well designed watches that carry plenty of wrist presence without being flashy at all. In the case of the Cal.1887 Carrera, you are getting a manufacturers column wheel chronograph movement in an elegant design for ~$5000.00. This, in the watch world, is what we call an Effin' Bargain! Again, I'm not sure of your budget but like I said, if it's sub $1000.00, I wouldn't get an entry TAG (Formula 1)
watches 78.jpg
watches 35.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you looking for a Formula 1? This I would not pay the premium for the Heuer, much nicer looking quartz and automatic watches can be had for less money from brands like Hamilton or Tissot. If you really want a TAG Heuer, take a look at the Carrera or the Aquaracer lines, these both feature an attractive case design with many equally attractive dials to choose from. In the case of the latter, yes, I feel the watches are worth the asking price while being well designed watches that carry plenty of wrist presence without being flashy at all. In the case of the Cal.1887 Carrera, you are getting a manufacturers column wheel chronograph movement in an elegant design for ~$5000.00. This, in the watch world, is what we call an Effin' Bargain! Again, I'm not sure of your budget but like I said, if it's sub $1000.00, I wouldn't get an entry TAG (Formula 1)
I was actualy looking at the Carrera the other day and think it's a good choice. I wouldn't spend the money there on the F1 either don't like the looks of it really. I have a budget, sure, but its dependant on what I can get for my money. I'll spend 2200 if I feel like I'm getting a good deal of watch for it. Obviously, saving money is also cool with me and leaves me more for other hobbies

·
7,683 Posts
Great thread, brings me back to the first time I was looking to buy a nice watch. I had wanted to buy a Tag Professional Quartz back then, but $800 was out of my budget 15-16 years ago. I always kept it in my sights though. I liked the style, I wanted a higher end Swiss watch other than the ESQ I ended up buying that day. There was something that stuck in my brain that said if I ever had the money to afford one, I had to get one. It represented to me that I had reached a level of career success.

You asked if one purchased a Tag with fear of regretting it later? My first Tag was an older Quartz Aquaracer with the SS Bezel. I purchased it here on the sales forum. I settled for it and did not get what I ultimately really wanted and sold it shortly after that. I was trying the quick fix route and didn't appreciate it as much as I thought.

I then purchased the Aquaracer 500M and LOVED that watch....until the infamous crown issue (This is where research pays). I had cross threaded the crown which bummed me out big time as I was always extremely careful with that watch. I ended up a couple years ago getting a Link Quartz Chrono. I enjoyed that watch a lot. Most comfortable bracelet I ever wore. Ultimately, I ended up making a great trade deal for the new Link Auto Chrono, just too good to pass up. This is the nicest watch in my collection. It is the right size, weight, it works with the classic ETA 7750, it's got that Link comfort, and it will not be leaving my collection....this is the grail piece to me.

Go to the Tag site, look through the collections. Find what stands out to you. Put the model into Google and look up reviews and prices. Look it up in Amazon and see the reviews there. Put the search in here and Youtube and you will find exactly what you are looking for. Then go to a Tag Dealer and try it on, there is SOOO much information available. When the purchase is made, and the satisfaction of your footwork has paid off, you will be very happy with the money well spent.

Let us know what you decide....and don't forget the wrist shot ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts