WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my new Baro stopped charging. I charged it on Sunday, used it until Wed then tried to charge it with about 55% battery left. However, my Baro wouldnt charge. I tried several different USB converters with no luck. I just measured the output voltage of the charging cable (outside pins) using my meter to verify that the cable is not defective and it measured about 9.5V!? Since this is a USB charging cable, I assume the output voltage should be 5V unless there is a DC-DC step up converter in the cable. Assuming 9.5V this is correct, it seems my brand new Baro is somehow dead?

Can anyone please verify the output voltage of the Spartan charging cable?
Am I correct in measuring the voltage from the two outside pins?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5v maximum
Thank you for the reply. Just to be clear, the output voltage as measured from the little pins on the magnetic side of the charging cable should be 5VDC? If so, thats what I was thinking too. Why the heck do I measure 9.5VDC even though the output from the USB converters are 5VDC?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Just to be clear, the output voltage as measured from the little pins on the magnetic side of the charging cable should be 5VDC? If so, thats what I was thinking too. Why the heck do I measure 9.5VDC even though the output from the USB converters are 5VDC?
What kind of charger you use? If it is fast charging one you will see 9.5V if not connected to the watch, but watch battery controller will limit it to 5v once connected.
What I suggest just deplete battery to 0% and charge to 100% this will calibrate battery profile.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of charger you use? If it is fast charging one you will see 9.5V if not connected to the watch, but watch battery controller will limit it to 5v once connected.
What I suggest just deplete battery to 0% and charge to 100% this will calibrate battery profile.
I am just using a normal 5VC usb wall charger. Since I have not been able to charge my phone its battery is completely drained now.

I think this cable is bad. I am just going to get another one and see what happens.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am just using a normal 5VC usb wall charger. Since I have not been able to charge my phone its battery is completely drained now.

I think this cable is bad. I am just going to get another one and see what happens.
Cable cannot affect charging voltage... especially make charger from 5v to 9.5v :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cable cannot affect charging voltage...
100% agree with you. I am going to borrow a friends meter to see of mine is perhaps defective. If the cable is indeed ok then its my watch that is defective.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried to plug to pc?
Yes I have...so I got my friend's meter and here is what I am seeing:

0 voltage measured at pins 1 & 4 at magnetic side of the cable using multiple different USB charging devices
Continuity measured at pins 1 & 4 at magnetic side of cable and GROUND (#4) wire at USB Male end
Continuity measured at pins 1 & 4 at magnetic side of cable and +V (#1) wire at USB Male end

So it seems my charging cable is shorting pins 1 & 4? Is this why I am not measuring 5VDC at the cable output?

·
Registered
501 Posts
while I have not measured mine:
for these kind of measurements, it is always a good idea to have at least a little load connected to the output. Like 1kOhms or so to reduce any effects from high impedance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
while I have not measured mine:
for these kind of measurements, it is always a good idea to have at least a little load connected to the output. Like 1kOhms or so to reduce any effects from high impedance.
Good quality meter will do so ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts