WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel that the GWX56 series is SERIOUSLY overpriced.
Even a used GWX is fetching close to 3 bills, whereas a used GW7900 is in the $80-100 range.
I love my non-atomic King. It's solar, it's huge and it's a great watch. I gave right at $90 for it.
I also love my GW7900B.
It's huge, great design, atomic, solar plus moon and tide.(plus I think it looks slightly better than my King, but that's up for debate...)
I gave $85 for it, used in exc condition.
I just don't see that it's worth $200 more for a King that synchs.
I mean for the money I'd buy a neg display GW7900 AND a burning red GW7900 for about the same money.
What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I got rid of my GW7900B-1 because it looked like a bullfrog at certain angles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have both. The reasons is the GXW-56 are not locally sold in the CONUS (except for the 56e) and is one of the few G-Shock models that has JAPAN Y on the case back same as the frogs and the 5000s.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The biggest thing you are missing is that the GXW versions were only released in Japan (besides some of the GXW56e's that were released in the US by mistake). Anytime that you have a G that is only released in Japan, you are going to have to pay considerably more for it if you want to import it.

It's the same with other models too. Look at the 9300 Mudman for example. The atomic version (Japan only), goes for $350-$400. While the non-atomic (Worldwide release), can be had for around $200.

If both atomic and non atomic versions of a watch are released worldwide (ie. 7900), you can expect only about a $25-$50 price difference between them.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I have both. The reasons is the GXW-56 are not locally sold in the CONUS (except for the 56e) and is one of the few G-Shock models that has JAPAN Y on the case back same as the frogs and the 5000s.
Just a very small correction: the GW-5000 has "Made in Japan" on the back while the GXW and some of the GX models (but not all from what I know) have "Japan Y" on the back. There is a difference between "Made in Japan" and "Japan" on the back of a watch. To my knowledge the regulations for "Made in Japan" are very similar to those for "Swiss Made".
Apart from the GW-5000 I think only the PRX models have "Made in Japan" on the back. Frogs might be made in Japan to a large extent but they are not marked "Made in Japan".

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a very small correction: the GW-5000 has "Made in Japan" on the back while the GXW and some of the GX models (but not all from what I know) have "Japan Y" on the back. There is a difference between "Made in Japan" and "Japan" on the back of a watch. To my knowledge the regulations for "Made in Japan" are very similar to those for "Swiss Made".
Apart from the GW-5000 I think only the PRX models have "Made in Japan" on the back. Frogs might be made in Japan to a large extent but they are not marked "Made in Japan".

Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the education gentlemen.
Interesting that the watch is a Japan only release but synchs in the USA and Europe. Hmmm….
Leads me to believe that it will be released in the US and Europe at some point.
Still not worth a $200 markup for me, the feature-set doesn't offer anything different enough for me to chase, but I can see why some would pay more due to limited availability.
Same reason the new atomic muddie isn't calling me, lol.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got rid of my GW7900B-1 because it looked like a bullfrog at certain angles.
Hahaha! I bought the GXW-56 because it looked like a bulldog at all angles!

I think all the JDM counterparts are overpriced. Look at the GW-7900B, GW-9200, GW-9010 etc. are almost 2x the price just bcoz of the leather box, pillow, JPY tag, Japanese manual and -1JF at the end of it's model name.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Why is a watch that should be soldd only in Japan sync in the US & Europe? Because the atomic sync feature requires connecting to radio towers that happen to exist in the US & Europe... Other than that, I also like to think that the atomic sync was originally thought as a feature to help Japanese owners who do a lot of travelling overseas. Since the feature worked just fine in the locations it was intended to, Casio says 'Hell, why not?' and decide to sell it in the US & Europe too. :-d

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
btw: the JDM models are not overpriced because of the different packing or anything but simply because of the strong yen. If you compare prices in yen between a GX-56 and GXW-56 or any other model that comes in an atomic and non-atomic version the price-difference between atomic and non-atomic is about the same it would be in € or US$ - around 50€ (roughly 70US$).

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
More toward the horizontal position. the screws sticking up. i don't have a picture of it. it was starting to bug me.
You should have kept your GW7900B and just replaced the bezel rivets with ones from a G7900 - so much more neater!

DSCN3396.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts