WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, steinhart timepieces has reopened for the new year and the OVM (and many others) are on preorder status. Here I am flush with Xmas cash and no way to order the OVM. The chronic shortages must be due to ETA movement shortages as I would think that Steinhart by now would understand what a hit they have on their hands with the OVM. They would have by now ordered many more to keep their stock up. One can only wonder how many potential customers they have lost with these chronic delays and preorders. Or, how many they could have sold. I just cannot bring myself to lay out the money for a preorder on the hope that they get more.
Oh well, I will keep looking on the pre-owned /used market.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It says available mid/late Jan. I am not sure why you are complaining. Plenty show up on the used market if you can't wait a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Brettmichael, the story of ETA & their decision to limit supply is long & ongoing. Steinhart like many other brands have plans in place & have had for some time now that deals with this situation. Steinhart have unfortunately had to deal with shortages earlier than expected of the auto calibers but this isn't all of Steinharts making but ETA not supplying previously agreed too numbers of movements. Regarding the popularity of their models, in this case the OVM, Steinhart are well aware of just how well these watches are perceived. To alleviate a direct concern in your post, Steinhart will once again receive the next delivery of OVM's sometime this month. There are no plans to discontinue any of the hugely popular models in the Ocean line simply because of movement shortages from ETA.

Now, as far as ordering an OVM, keep in mind the longer you procrastinate on whether to place an order or not the longer you will end up waiting.

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,442 Posts
I just ordered my OVM :)

Waiting is hard, agreed, but I prefer getting mine straight from Steinhart |>

EDIT
...but ETA not supplying previously agreed too numbers of movements...
Well, this decrease in supply (of complete movements) was strictly agreed-to with Comco back in ~2010, so everyone in the industry got a good heads up on this. This doesn't mean ETA's decrease to 85% distribution won't affect firms like Steinhart, of course it will, but my guess is that small companies like Steinhart can't afford to stockpile movements or completed units... :think:

At any rate, I agree with Riker that it's better to order sooner than later; afaik ETA will lower their distribution again in 2014 (so, now) to 75%... :rodekaart

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that there was a recent price increase for ETA movements, which I suspect was influenced - to some degree - by the fire they had. I haven't really followed the story, but if the factory was damaged to any degree it might also further reduce the quantity of movements being shipped.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Yes, spectacular timing for price increases in light of the recent fire. Re production, from the newswires as of a few days ago the production slack from the Grenchen facility will likely be taken up by other Swatch facilities. How much these other facilities are able to fill the lost production numbers we can only speculate to at the moment but certainly particular considerations we may conjure up at this time of why the increases have occurred now & of possible production shortfalls are well justified........

Something to keep in mind is that there was a recent price increase for ETA movements, which I suspect was influenced - to some degree - by the fire they had. I haven't really followed the story, but if the factory was damaged to any degree it might also further reduce the quantity of movements being shipped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts