WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received my Orange Watch Company (OWC) Milsub 9411 in blue dial, dark blue bezel, with date, with the ST-1812 movement. I only just received it last night, so I don't have long-term opinions yet. However, I'll give some initial impressions. Some quick specs

40mm diameter
50mm lug to lug
20mm lug width
300m water resist
Unidirectional ceramic 60-click bezel
Flat Sapphire with AR coating on the underside
Screw down crown with crown guards
Comes standard on a bespoke bracelet with interesting Torx screw connections everywhere
Snowflake hands
Date at 4:30

The watch is clearly a high quality timepiece. The fit and finish is superb overall. There are some initial quirks however. This is a dive watch of course, rated to 300m, however the bracelet has a butterfly clasp type opening. I'll post more pictures of this when I'm not at the office :) But the clasp is a double butterfly opening without microadjust or diver extension, which I find very odd on a clearly well-engineered and otherwise well thought out dive watch. In my opinion microadjust on this style of watch is a must for a proper fit, and I don't really care about the diver extension, but just a note that there is not one present. The other quirk is the non-standard "spring bars", which are torx-head screw pins. This also proves a bit difficult to remove because (at least for me) it required 2 #6 Torx screwdrivers simultaneously and some serious manual dexterity to actually unscrew and re-screw these in. Because of this design, the lug holes are too big for normal spring bars and therefore we are stuck with using the supplied pins (an extra set was included with the watch). I should note though that these pins are of very high quality and are very thick, so I do think they will be very durable over the long term. I suggest adding some loctite to the threads to be sure they don't unscrew themselves, especially when worn on a NATO etc where some turning could occur daily.

The bracelet is otherwise of very high quality, with the same torx screws holding the solid links and solid end links together securely and tightly with just enough bend and movement for them to be comfortable.

The watch functions as it should with a 60-click unidirectional bezel, which has some play but nothing major and clicks precisely. The AR coating on the sapphire glass is superb. The dial is clean with a simple, but unique, OWC logo at 12 and "300m Automatic" at 6 on two lines. This version has a date window at 4:30 which is a black background with white text, so it blends nicely into the overall watch appearance. The shape also gets lost with the painted on square hour markers. The snowflake hands add an elegance and nostalgic sense to the watch, whereas everything else screams high-end modern dive watch, such as the polished sides, brushed top, curved lugs, and high quality ceramic bezel with lume numerals.

Overall this watch is a great value for the money and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality affordable dive watch.

UPDATE:
Each link in the bracelet can be removed with a torx #6 screwdriver, so it's highly adjustable and non-tapering making them all interchangeable. Also there are two half links included in the bracelet that take the place of most micro-adjusting needing. I would have still preferred a true micro-adjust bracelet, but this makes it able to fit any wrist quite easily. I've also added more pictures of the bracelet, bezel , and caseback for those interested.

Also - the cufflinks only come with the A-10 movement typically, but should check with Dan even then. It was a nice touch he added as a gift for me because of our extremely smooth transaction. Thank you Dan!

Initial pics (more to come tonight):
Quick note - the OWC cufflinks were a special addon and are not typically included as far as I can tell:

Cheers
Ross

More photos:

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
Thanks for the up-front review, Ross. I've admired OWC's pieces for a few years now. Re: features like the hex screws and the butterfly clasp, it seems that there is a conversion point between over-engineering and utility in which one does not always equal the other.

Is the bezel blue or black? It's hard to tell from the pics (which are stunning...).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wow wow wow. Looks great, nice writeup. I have one on order and have 4-6 months left most likely. Hope to get some cufflinks too, that's a sweet addition

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks great! I am one of the many people eagerly awaiting one of these stunning pieces... Looks like it will be well worth the wait!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That clasp looks great. Where did you get the scree driver? I'm going to need to pick one up soonish.
I had a couple diff sets from Amazon. After buying a number of cheapy sets, I decided to go quality and have these two sets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSWY50O/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C582AQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course I think you can likely buy them individually from Wiha. They make great quality screwdrivers. The cheaper ones I have purchased in the past always strip after a couple uses.

Ross

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Those are some crisp pics.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
A beautiful watch and a nice initial impressions review. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Lovely ! I'm still on the waiting list for one. How long ago did you orders? Mine was a ST-2130 as well.

Regarding the bezel, another interesting aspect about it is its design. There are 4 screws along the edge which allow you to easily loosen/tighten or completely remove the bezel.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lovely ! I'm still on the waiting list for one. How long ago did you orders? Mine was a ST-2130 as well.

Regarding the bezel, another interesting aspect about it is its design. There are 4 screws along the edge which allow you to easily loosen/tighten or completely remove the bezel.
Yes, I noticed that and tried to capture it in a photo or two. I'll post a close up of one of these holes for those of you interested. It's a great design feature.

Cheers
Ross

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Timegrapher results show how strong this movement really is.... Impressive. Also matches with my daily wear timing after 24 hours of wear.

+/- 0 sec/day via timegrapher. In timing vs atomic clock I have found it to be approx +1 sec/day. Solid :)

Sorry for crappy iphone picture:

Ross

·
Registered
816 Posts
Timegrapher results show how strong this movement really is.... Impressive. Also matches with my daily wear timing after 24 hours of wear.

+/- 0 sec/day via timegrapher. In timing vs atomic clock I have found it to be approx +1 sec/day. Solid :)

Sorry for crappy iphone picture:

Ross
I opted for the soprod movement but that is impressive! Good value for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
Wow wow wow. Looks great, nice writeup. I have one on order and have 4-6 months left most likely. Hope to get some cufflinks too, that's a sweet addition
I'm in the same boat. Have one on order; in no hurry but can't wait to get it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts